United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded the first version of the Official FAQ based on initial comments and concerns I've seen on here.

Official Dark Moon FAQ

I'll update this semi-frequently as any new issues come up. If there's something you think should be included in here, please post in this thread. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question that was asked over on the filepage:

davidallves wrote:
Now I have a doubt.

When a player rolls for the Repair ir Lone Wolf action he submits one die and keep two (if he rolls three) or he looses all the die he rolls?

For REPAIR, he rolls three and submits one. For LONE WOLF, he rolls three and submits two. The clarification in the FAQ was based on my observation that players will often simply roll all of their dice (which they normally have four of) and forget that those actions only allow them to roll up to three dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question that was asked over on the filepage:

Milarky wrote:
the fatigued... 1 per task..
is it.. example rolled 3 dice + + and - as fatigued i can only only sub 1 + not 2 ++ but can i roll again? e.g 2nd roll the say i get + + and can i submit 1 ..again ??

its it one per task? or 1 per re-roll attempt..?

Mark, it's once per Task. Period. Even if you're Uninfected and you rolled (+4)(+4)(+3)(+3) you would only be allowed to submit one of those dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many tks on the work being done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Revealed Infected players only draw 1 die when passing if Command is damaged?

Or does that fall under the "players" mean only uninfected and non-revealed infected players rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:
Do Revealed Infected players only draw 1 die when passing if Command is damaged?

Or does that fall under the "players" mean only uninfected and non-revealed infected players rule?

Yes, they do not fall under the "players" designation, so they continue to retrieve dice normally when passing even when Command is damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Miller
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 16 of the rule book: "If the Commander reveals as Infected, the role passes to the first Uninfected player to the Commander’s left."

The active player is the commander and the player to his left is quarantined. If the active player reveals as Infected, does the quarantined player to his left become the commander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mobybeaver wrote:
The active player is the commander and the player to his left is quarantined. If the active player reveals as Infected, does the quarantined player to his left become the commander?

Earlier in that paragraph it mentions that if the player who called the vote is in quarantine, then the role passes to the first Uninfected player to the Commander's left. The inference being that if you're in quarantine you can't get the Commander role.

But that could be clearer.

"If the Commander reveals as Infected, the role passes to the first Uninfected player to the Commander's left who is NOT in quarantine."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shield tokens have a solid red side and a side with a nuclear symbol. The rulebook typically shows them solid side up, but I can't find any reference to the importance of these token's sides. I'm assuming it doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't. I actually intended them to be used with the red side up when played on the board (because it's supposed to look like the dial is redlining), but that didn't come across, and most people use them with the nuclear symbol. Which is fine and doesn't affect gameplay at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More of a comment than a question:
Quote:
Commander Die
The Commander die does not count towards a player’s die
limit. It always adds +1 to a player’s existing die limit as
long as they remain the Commander. You can think of the
Commander card as an extra die token that ONLY applies to
the Commander die.

I feel like the second sentence in this section of the FAQ actually makes things worse. The first sentence says the die doesn't count towards your dice limit, the second says it [the commander die] gives you a +1 to your dice limit. This functionally gives the commander the blue die and another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that came up in our first session that feels obvious but I couldn't find any wording in the rule book.

Is the final event, which is placed on the board during setup, active through the game or only after the first three events are successfully completed?

For example, the final event Blackout which is in the rules, says "During: Add 2 to the difficulty of all Task cards." so if that were pulled as the final event for the game is that +2 through the whole game or only during the last two Tasks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raether wrote:
I have a question that came up in our first session that feels obvious but I couldn't find any wording in the rule book.

Is the final event, which is placed on the board during setup, active through the game or only after the first three events are successfully completed?

For example, the final event Blackout which is in the rules, says "During: Add 2 to the difficulty of all Task cards." so if that were pulled as the final event for the game is that +2 through the whole game or only during the last two Tasks?

This was answered in this thread. Essentially the Final Event is just chosen at the beginning but it doesn't go into effect until you get to it. I personally don't see why you don't draw it when you finish the other events. I guess it helps to be prepared ahead for some of it's bad effects which could end the game. It might be an easy variant to make the game a little more difficult as you can't plan for the bad it causes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
raether wrote:

This was answered in this thread. Essentially the Final Event is just chosen at the beginning but it doesn't go into effect until you get to it. I personally don't see why you don't draw it when you finish the other events. I guess it helps to be prepared ahead for some of it's bad effects which could end the game. It might be an easy variant to make the game a little more difficult as you can't plan for the bad it causes.

Thank you, I suspected as such but Wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raether wrote:
Quote:
Commander Die
the Commander die.

I feel like the second sentence in this section of the FAQ actually makes things worse. The first sentence says the die doesn't count towards your dice limit, the second says it [the commander die] gives you a +1 to your dice limit. This functionally gives the commander the blue die and another one.

Good feedback, Ed. I'll make a note for the next revision of the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lam
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
raether wrote:
Quote:
Commander Die
the Commander die.

I'm sorry, my group just can't wrap our heads around the blue die right now.

In the other thread you had said that, "the commander always has access to the blue die." So does that mean when you retrieve dice you can ALWAYS pick up the blue die if available? Or do you only get it at the start of your turn?

If the commander passes on a task, is he allowed to get two dice AND the blue die or is he restricted to two dice, period?

I think the clearest way to state (what I think) your intention for the die is:

"The commander's dice limit is always increased by +1. When retrieving dice while passing on tasks or at the start of his or her turn the blue die must be taken first if possible."

There should never be a reason to not take the blue die and not retrieving it would be suspicious. To me this makes the most sense - is this the intent, Evan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mekash
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with less than seven players, are the unused dice returned to the box during setup or are they placed in Available Resources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lam
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimnir wrote:
When playing with less than seven players, are the unused dice returned to the box during setup or are they placed in Available Resources?

The unused dice stay in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ophidion wrote:
derrickec wrote:
raether wrote:
Quote:
Commander Die
the Commander die.

I'm sorry, my group just can't wrap our heads around the blue die right now.

In the other thread you had said that, "the commander always has access to the blue die." So does that mean when you retrieve dice you can ALWAYS pick up the blue die if available? Or do you only get it at the start of your turn?

If the commander passes on a task, is he allowed to get two dice AND the blue die or is he restricted to two dice, period?

I think the clearest way to state (what I think) your intention for the die is:

"The commander's dice limit is always increased by +1. When retrieving dice while passing on tasks or at the start of his or her turn the blue die must be taken first if possible."

There should never be a reason to not take the blue die and not retrieving it would be suspicious. To me this makes the most sense - is this the intent, Evan?

This is what is in the FAQ right now, Alex:

"The Commander die does not count towards a player’s die
the Commander die."

Does that clarify it, and if not, how could it be clearer?

Also, forcing the Commander to always take the Commander die won't work. There are certain edge cases where the Commander would want to take a different die (since the Commander die can't be used for voting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ophidion wrote:
Grimnir wrote:

The unused dice stay in the box.

Yes, this is correct. I'll add this to the next version of the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hawkins
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
derrickec wrote:

the Commander die."

Also, forcing the Commander to always take the Commander die won't work. There are certain edge cases where the Commander would want to take a different die (since the Commander die can't be used for voting).

OK, I thought I understood it, but now I'm confused.

The FAQ says, "The Commander die does not count towards a player’s die limit. It always adds +1 to a player’s existing die limit as long as they remain the Commander."

Those sentences directly contradict each other; the 1st says the commander die does not count toward the die limit, and the 2nd says it always adds +1 to the die limit.

I believe that the commander role does add +1 to the die limit.

Then, the FAQ says, "You can think of the Commander card as an extra die token that ONLY applies to the Commander die." But, Evan says, "There are certain edge cases where the Commander would want to take a different die (since the Commander die can't be used for voting)."

So, which is it? Does the commander card allow you take an extra red/black die, or only the blue die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteHawkins wrote:
derrickec wrote:

the Commander die."

The FAQ says, "The Commander die does not count towards a player’s die limit. It always adds +1 to a player’s existing die limit as long as they remain the Commander."

Those sentences directly contradict each other; the 1st says the commander die does not count toward the die limit, and the 2nd says it always adds +1 to the die limit.

Then, the FAQ says, "You can think of the Commander card as an extra die token that ONLY applies to the Commander die." But, Evan says, "There are certain edge cases where the Commander would want to take a different die (since the Commander die can't be used for voting)."

So, which is it? Does the commander card allow you take an extra red/black die, or only the blue die?

Maybe a better way of saying it is this:

The blue die is only accessible by the Commander; If the Commander takes the blue die it does not count toward their die limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jt4jc wrote:
PeteHawkins wrote:
derrickec wrote:

the Commander die."

The blue die is only accessible by the Commander; If the Commander takes the blue die it does not count toward their die limit.

Yeah, some of that information is only listed once in the rulebook under the retrieve dice step of a player's turn. It isn't listed under the Task section where a player opts "Out" of a mission. It'd be best if the Commander card listed very specifically that the commander die can only be retrieved by the commander when the commander retrieves dice and does not count toward the die limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lam
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
jt4jc wrote:
PeteHawkins wrote:
derrickec wrote:

the Commander die."

Yeah, some of that information is only listed once in the rulebook under the retrieve dice step of a player's turn. It isn't listed under the Task section where a player opts "Out" of a mission. It'd be best if the Commander card listed very specifically that the commander die can only be retrieved by the commander when the commander retrieves dice and does not count toward the die limit.

But the blue die DOES count against the retrieval limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ophidion wrote:
robbdaman wrote:
jt4jc wrote:
PeteHawkins wrote:
derrickec wrote:

the Commander die."

But the blue die DOES count against the retrieval limit?

Not really though. It's not counted as part of your normal retrieval limit. I guess it could be listed as saying it "adds +1 to your retrieval limit but only for retrieving the commander die" if we want to nitpick though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.