Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cosmic Threat and +Attack schemes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jem
France
flag msg tools
I'm sure someone will point out that this could be in the L:FF forum but to be honest traffic there is... poor.

I've just picked up the FF expansion and I'm looking forward to giving Galactus a go, but I'm hoping to clarify a rules question I haven't found an answer to on the forums (here or the L:FF forums) nor in the FAQ/errata.

Can you use the Cosmic Threat effects to remove the bonus attack points granted by certain schemes?

For example, in Midtown Bank Robbery, it's possible that Morg could acquire three bystanders for a total of 15 attack. Could I then reveal 5 instinct cards to reduce this to zero? Or are the bonus attack points exempt from the Cosmic Threat reduction?

It seems somehow more consistent with Legendary rules to say that Cosmic Threat effects work on the total attack, not only the points printed on the card. But thematically it seems a bit weird reducing the effects of the various scheme effects by revealing cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played the scheme is separate from the mastermind and villain. I'm interested to know what the community thinks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
Can you use the Cosmic Threat effects to remove the bonus attack points granted by certain schemes?

For example, in Midtown Bank Robbery, it's possible that Morg could acquire three bystanders for a total of 15 attack. Could I then reveal 5 instinct cards to reduce this to zero? Or are the bonus attack points exempt from the Cosmic Threat reduction?

Personally, I'd say yes. The scheme conditions add to the villains' effect(s) and Cosmic Threat mechanic is pretty clear so....yeah, I'd say so. That's just me though, I'd wait for someone more official to chime in.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we're having this conversation, does cosmic threat reduce multipliers from shards?

I don't think that cosmic threat reduces outside multipliers of any type, which is how I've played it, but this thread has me wondering...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes it does. Bonus threat is added to the mastermind's threat total in the exact same way that cosmic threat removes it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
Personally, I'd say yes. The scheme conditions add to the villains' effect(s) and Cosmic Threat mechanic is pretty clear so....yeah, I'd say so. That's just me though, I'd wait for someone more official to chime in.


therealtheshader wrote:
I would say yes it does. Bonus threat is added to the mastermind's threat total in the exact same way that cosmic threat removes it.


That seems the most logical way to play it and the one I'd houserule if it comes up, but I wasn't sure if anyone had a confirmed rules call from Mr. Low.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jem,

Thanks for the question.
Legendary Fantastic Four rulesheet wrote:
Galactus and his Heralds use the new Cosmic Threat keyword. This gives them incredibly high Attack values with a special vulnerability. If an enemy has [RANGED] Cosmic Threat, that means:
"Once per turn, for each [RANGED] card you reveal, this Enemy gets -3 Attack this turn."

You, David, and Shader are right: If a Villain with Cosmic Threat gets bonus Attack from anywhere, like the Scheme or Reality Shard tokens, you can still reduce that Bonus Attack with Cosmic Threat.

Jem wrote:
For example, in Midtown Bank Robbery, it's possible that Morg could acquire three bystanders for a total of 15 attack. Could I then reveal 5 instinct cards to reduce this to zero? Or are the bonus attack points exempt from the Cosmic Threat reduction?

Yes, you can reveal 5 Instinct cards to reduce it to zero. A very impressive anti-Morg hand! laugh

Morgly yours,
Devin Low
Designer, Legendary meeple
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Thanks Mr Low!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.