Nations» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Egypt Currently Dominating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Allen

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want this to devolve into a X is overpowered thread, but my group does a lot of 3 player games, and Egypt seems to dominate when out(I know its supposed to be Rome, but we have Egypt. What a world!)

The last two Egypt runs might be because they got the Sphinx, which we probably should have prevented. The other issue seems to be the pacifist player (even if Egypt isn't on the board, though Egypt is the strongest player at pacifism) seems to have a huge advantage in our current metagame.

Basically what happens is the first player (assume strongest military) has been taking the most beneficial building. The second player takes the second most beneficial war card, the third player (pacifist) will take war card, protecting him/herself from resource/vp loss. The first player feels that if they take the war card, the second player will both be able to pass in military might later in the turn plus be able to grab the best building on the board, thus passing first player in strength. 2nd player will never grab the war because that will let first player get a bigger lead over them long term.

Now this should lead to Egypt player having no buildings, but somehow they always get their hands on a stability building (magic!), then prevent the resource loss and eventually win the game through the mass resource production/wonder points. This doesn't seem like the type of game from our 11 plays that direct denial of a certain nation is necessary, more of the best player of the board tends to win, so its more does anyone else find themselves in a metagame rut or did and found a way to break it and still win (we did have a game where first + second player tried to tag team the war situation late in age 2 and onward, still lost miserably when Egypt picked up a 7 military and boosted ahead of everyone in age 3 after dodging some wars early through buying it themselves and a lucky event drop).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find any of the nations to be that particularly powerful. I have not noticed any of them scoring significantly more. I even win with China even though alot of people think they suck (can never seem to get that food bonus from passing first though, sigh). As with most things, it is probably your group meta which is making Egypt win. Try playing with other folks and see if you get the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Allen

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think first player should pass on a better building to force the war? It seems that when they do that their really handicapping themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nissen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been scoring really well as Egypt. Was a bit underwhelmed on how I good I've been doing with it. Wars can be a nuisance, but if you are ready to mitigate them, I.e. Stability, buying the war cards first, or the Great Wall Wonder, I've found eventually my engine just goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.