Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the summer, my sister's family will be joining my family for a vacation and I would like to bring some games.

I have brought games in the past and have managed to engage the kids for a bit but I would like to try to get everyone to the table this time.

I have done a quick search in this forum and have gotten some ideas but I want to see what else you all can come up with.

I think that the more party game style games will work better - Wits & Wagers and Say Anything family editions, Dixit, Telestrations - but I am open. Also thinking about Time's Up but I don't think some of the kids will know enough of the clues (agree?). Team games might work.

Here is the group makeup:
-- 2 gamer adults (one is a reluctant gamer husband)
-- 2 non-gamer adults
-- 2 gamer boys(11 yo, 14 yo colorblind)
-- 3 non-gamer girls (11 yo, 9 yo, 8 yo) - hate losing (so no player elimination - in fact I don't even think ONUW or similar would work well, but I am going to try), antsy (so quick turns)and the youngest is not a strong reader.

Bonus - Long Shot Request
I would LOVE to get my dad and stepmom involved. They are non-gamers and English is not their first language (they speak fine, but reading quickly would be an issue). They do like to play poker with my boys. This is SUCH a long shot that I am not going to spend too much time thinking about it but if any of you have a quick idea, please pass it on.

Thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the high number of people and the age range, I would maybe take a look at Camel Up, which plays even more people now with the expansion Camel Up: Supercup. No reading involved, very quick turns and concerning your dad and stepmom it has some sort of betting on the odds, so maybe they would enjoy it when everyone is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need super-low-barrier games; games that people understand by watching a single turn, and then want to jump in. Also small games, since you'll be traveling:

For Sale
Qwixx
Ghost Blitz

For the gamers, go with something like Battle Line (2-player only), or Spyrium (2-5 players).

I have what I think to be the perfect recommendation for the LONG SHOT category:

Cockroach Poker - You said they love Poker, so that will call them in. But this game really pulls out the bluffing element of Poker, and creates a game totally around that. It's the easiest game I've ever taught. There's like one rule, and you go from there. After you play a round our two, someone will ask, "How do you win." You say the first player to end up with a 4-of-a-kind in front of him/her, loses. There's one loser and the rest all win. Listen to them laugh and immediately fall in love with it.

I hope this helps. Good luck and safe travels!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Split your group up to play games, it makes it easier to find the best for each group. Here are some that I have on my vacation with my non-gamer parents:

Qwirkle - Only four players, no language barrier, very simple to learn if you can match colors or shapes. My parents will play this readily.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - Four players (goes up to 6 with expansion). This can be played co-op where everyone is trying to get the most meeples to shore. The shark/whale/sea monster is moved toward the biggest, closest target. You loose if more meeples die than are saved. My daughter, who HATES losing, loves this version of the game.

Skull (or Skull & Roses) - This can be played with a deck of cards (Face card = skull, number cards = roses, Ace & Jokers = point trackers). This is poker without the math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
I think you are on the right track with the party games. We have used them in similar situations before for holiday gatherings.

Sushi Go! and Love Letter are both light card games that require minimal reading, but have smaller player counts.

I second Qwirkle for your parents, though it could leave out your colorblind son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some dice games?

Zombie Dice
Martian Dice
Dungeon Roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been successful with:
Water Lily
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Hoppladi Hopplada!
Coloretto
Hey, That's My Fish!
Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel
Sorry! Sliders
Forbidden Island
Tiki Topple

Maybe, Hanabi?

Oh, and Ticket to Ride is usually successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One great one I forgot:

Deep Sea Adventure - You have to buy it from the BGG Store. It's fantastic, and it's tiny!:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a game recommendation but a warning.

Quote:
Now is the [Summer] of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son[/daughter/sister/brother] of [mine];
And all the clouds that low'r'd upon our house

Do not push those games upon the non-gamers (every night, every blizzard); they are non-gamers for a reason. Do you know the reason?

Be happy if they want to join and play.

And if it goes wrong, then you cannot put the blame on them.

Have a nice vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
Hanabi
Pairs
Diamonds
Clubs
Wizard
HeartSwitch
For Sale
6 nimmt!
Ticket to Ride
Splendor
Linko!
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cockroach Poker, perfect quick, multi-age, low entry-barrier fun!

We have also had great success with Halli Galli in similar situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

Having a massive extended family, we often play games at christmas and family get togethers which can be a bit tricky with all the different types of people playing and the numbers (often up to 20).

The one and only game that has always been a winner with absolutely everyone including anti-gamers, oaps and five year olds is good old fashioned chase the ace. It's probably the easiest game on the planet, doesn't matter how many people, is fast and you only need a pack of cards. We even made a song to sing when someone goes out "we're sorry to say, you must be on your way, goodbyyeee, don't cry, wipe the tears from your eyes, good byeee" lmao. If you are worried about those few that hate losing, this game tends to avoid that as they are quickly back in, rules are too simple/exact to argue or feel hard done by and because no emotional effort has been vested into playing, it doesn't feel heart wrenching lol.

the only other game we've had any luck with getting almost everyone involved and where ability/age is not really a barrier is a cute little game called snorta - the more that play, the more fun it is, my version allows 12 players but beware that some versions only have 8 i think!

the only other thing when we've had that many people is to orchastrate our own version of "weakest link" using paper/pens/box of trivia questions -but this has gotten very nasty lol!!

Most our family like playing loaded questions and we regularly play with quite a few more people than the box suggests - no real arguments to be found there.

I quite fancy ""we didn't play test this at all" but maybe language an issue for you!

We've had some success with pictureka/dobble as language/age not a barrier and played large groups but not absolutely everyone up for it although they like if they try for a short period.

Other than that - telestrations is a very good party game worth buying anyway but wont allow for that many, I do fancy dixit too but maybe similar problem so possibly good if you want to play with fewer people.

Oh and pass the pigs - works with large groups and number based - can be fun!

I think that most other board games we've attempted, we end up simply playing in teams (trivial persuit etc) but hard to find ones that don't get nasty but we don't mind argueing!

What about a betting game? Oh and the one where you have a character unknown to you on your head and you have to ask others questions/clues to try and work out who it is -can't remember name. Oh and we had a great laugh with pie face - but really depends on your family lmao!

Sarah :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh and trivial persuit - if we play with kids, we use junior question set for them and normal for others but is okay within groups as they will answer media/cartoon questions anyway if modern set of questions and for a speedier game, we use the silver spots as a teleport "go to choice of cheese" rather than take another go :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for both Dixit and Camel Up (although you might need the expansion for Camel (C)Up) Neither require large amounts of reading and both have quick turns.

Edit: You'll want to get Dixit: Odyssey rather than the original game. It allows more players and has layout/scoring track that has fewer small pieces and is easier to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I read all the other posts first and now will give my input.

+1 Dixit (You can even play with teams to make it easier for some and speed up the clue giving, also make a rule to try and give clues that everyone might understand)

+1 Wits n Wagers (This is probably your best bet to include everyone because one person can read all the questions, and anyone can take a guess but then bet on other answers)

I love Red7 and Splendor but I'm not sure if you will have play time with a smaller group. If so, both games are awesome(Red7 is our "Take Anywhere" game)

Liars Dice came to mind also because of the scalability. Language barriers, vision challenges, and young players will not be a problem with this game. Also, if you own a lot of dice like myself you won't need to buy anything extra.

Have Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.