Subject: Storm-Glass repeatable use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to ask if it would be legal, according to the rules intended for the item, to use the Storm-Glass for the second time to re-roll all weather dice if we didn't liked the first result?

At least when you read the rules stated on the item it would appear so as generally all items can be used at any time so it would make sense to use it again for this purpose. This would also make this item more useful in my eyes then I currently perceive it.

What do you think about this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McIntyre
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thematically that would make no sense. The storm glass is used to see what the weather is going to be like that day so you can plan accordingly. It is not a magical weather machine that can change the weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really flabberghasted as to where you get the idea that the Storm Glass (the Starting Item) lets you reroll your weather dice...

As is, the Storm Glass lets you roll your dice BEFORE the Action Phase, so you have a whole Action Phase to react to the weather that is to come. Because the results of the dice do not change in the Weather Phase, are not rerolled, but are instead simply applied!

[Edit]
Ah, I think I get where you are coming from!

However, it is completely wrong to assume that the Storm Glass provides you with a roll of the Weather Dice - it does not!
What it does is simply change the PHASE for the Weather Roll. It impacts the order of gameplay, and nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the idea, I don't believe that is the intention.

Stormglass is used to see the upcoming weather conditions, not change them. It also says "roll the weather dice" not "re-roll". It only allows you to change the timing of the action to a point where you can create a better response to the result.

The practicality is that you may want to build or not build an extra roof level that day depending on the result.

That being said, I always find myself so far behind the eight ball that the weather is the least of my problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skullbucket wrote:
Thematically that would make no sense. The storm glass is used to see what the weather is going to be like that day so you can plan accordingly. It is not a magical weather machine that can change the weather.

Well thematically you can ague anything.
In this case the second use of it might be that you poke it with a finger to see if it certainly isn't stuck and then you re-roll to see it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I am really flabberghasted as to where you get the idea that the Storm Glass (the Starting Item) lets you reroll your weather dice...

As is, the Storm Glass lets you roll your dice BEFORE the Action Phase, so you have a whole Action Phase to react to the weather that is to come. Because the results of the dice do not change in the Weather Phase, are not rerolled, but are instead simply applied!

[Edit]
Ah, I think I get where you are coming from!

However, it is completely wrong to assume that the Storm Glass provides you with a roll of the Weather Dice - it does not!
What it does is simply change the PHASE for the Weather Roll. It impacts the order of gameplay, and nothing else.

Yea I understand and I agree that you cannot use it to re-roll in the Weather Phase.

In my case I was wondering what if you use it consecutively. For example, I would see it possible that a player would use it for the second time right after the first roll was a bad one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
While I like the idea, I don't believe that is the intention.

Stormglass is used to see the upcoming weather conditions, not change them. It also says "roll the weather dice" not "re-roll". It only allows you to change the timing of the action to a point where you can create a better response to the result.

The practicality is that you may want to build or not build an extra roof level that day depending on the result.

That being said, I always find myself so far behind the eight ball that the weather is the least of my problems.

Yea exactly that is how I use it myself. Thus I do not see it as a very useful item.

Though seeing a Robinson's review where a guy rolled literally the worst possible weather result while using the Storm-Glass for the first time got me thinking what if the guy would have used it for the second time right after it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, the Weather Glass does not provide a roll, nor a reroll. It does nothing to the dice, except drag the die roll out of the Weather Phase and towards the end of the Production Phase.

Mechanically, this is NOT meddling with the dice, in any way. There is only one Weather Roll each round, and in choosing to use the Storm Glass, you simply choose to know what will happen during the Weather Phase beforehand, nothing else!

This is the one Starting Item where it does not make sense to apply both uses in the same round!

Or, let me put it differently - if there was a possibility to look into the future, to see what you roll in the Weather Phase, THAT is EXACTLY what the Storm Glass would do.
As this is impossible, the only approximation of looking into the future is rolling the dice earlier.

On a meta-level, you are NOT rolling the dice BEFORE the Action Phase, you simply SEE yourself ROLLING the dice in the WEATHER PHASE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
As I said, the Weather Glass does not provide a roll, nor a reroll. It does nothing to the dice, except drag the die roll out of the Weather Phase and towards the end of the Production Phase.

Mechanically, this is NOT meddling with the dice, in any way. There is only one Weather Roll each round, and in choosing to use the Storm Glass, you simply choose to know what will happen during the Weather Phase, nothing else!

This is the one Starting Item where it does not make sense to apply both uses in the same round!

Or, let me put it differently - if there was a possibility to look into the future, to see what you roll in the Weather Phase, THAT is EXACTLY what the Storm Glass would do.
As this is impossible, the only approximation of looking into the future is rolling the dice before.

On a meta-level, you are NOT rolling the dice BEFORE the Action Phase, you simply SEE yourself ROLLING the dice in the WEATHER PHASE.

This is a great explanation and I will take it and live with it.
Though to be honest per the description of the item I would allow it yet as you put it well this is not the intended use of the item.

Thank you guys

Edit:
BTW: This is the review, by Ricky Royal, that I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jy6G6Musq8&feature=youtu.be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, I only provide the rules specifics as I know/remember them.

Your "variant" is quite valid, and also a thematically sound one. There is nothing that prevents you from using the Storm Glass the way you suggested. While it was not intended to be used that way, it certainly is a possibility of interesting reinterpretation.

And, as I remarked in countless threads, the game basically lends itself to tailoring to a player's personal taste!

So go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.