South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- 2 to 4+ players preferably
- "mid diff. level; easy to learn"
- game length makes no diff
- "avail now to purchase"

have a game night coming up (usually 4-5-6 players) that looks like it might just be 4 of us, and i'm looking for a space battle game (1st choice)...in a perfect world if it could also be played with just 2 that would be a bonus...group has played Firefly (enjoys it a lot), etc...but just looking for something different, but maybe still with a space theme...group also enjoys "Antike like" games as well...

IF you have a great idea not space related, share that as well...conflict welcomed...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet but from everything I have read and watched Eclipse fits this criteria. Although I would say it is "medium" in complexity, it looks relatively easy to get in and start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you are looking for an 'everything you need in one box' sort of thing? Because if miniatures are an option, there are a *lot* of choices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I'm assuming you are looking for an 'everything you need in one box' sort of thing? Because if miniatures are an option, there are a *lot* of choices...
yes...everything needed in the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
I haven't played it yet but from everything I have read and watched Eclipse fits this criteria. Although I would say it is "medium" in complexity, it looks relatively easy to get in and start playing.
probably something a bit easier to teach? (chances are none of us will have played whatever game I end up selecting before we get together, and this group likes about a 10-15 rules explanation, at best, and then "time to get started")...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:
probably something a bit easier to teach? (chances are none of us will have played whatever game I end up selecting before we get together, and this group likes about a 10-15 rules explanation, at best, and then "time to get started")...

Watch rahdo's run through... You'll have the game down when you are done watching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is the gold standard for 4X space games. Eclipse is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is the gold standard for 4X space games. Eclipse is good too.
but neither seems to be "mid complexity level" games...they may be great games, but I need to be "up and running" in about 15 min...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is a great recommendation.

Possibly Impulse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Federation Commander if you like Star Trek. Yes, there are a lot of rules but for just the base game it's not all that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evn Tomeny
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
First, this should be moved to "Recommendations".

It's not space battle, but the theme fits:

Race for the Galaxy and my preference, Roll for the Galaxy

If you want to build a ship and watch it be hopelessly destroyed:

Galaxy Trucker

Likely not nearly as epic as you want:

Pocket Imperium

Finally, a great space game all around:

Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Star Trek: Fleet Captains. It is fun and the replayability is high thanks to the hexagonal board tiles and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:

Eclipse is fairly simple to learn and teach, I feel. Although it does take time if you plan to cover all the nuances up front. Expect at least a 20-30 min rules discussion. The game sure is sexy, however.

Another fun space battle game I enjoy is Space Cadets: Dice Duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus: Proxima Centauri gets a lot of praise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Only 3-4 players (though I'm sure you can come up with some 2-player variant rules, if no appealing ones can be found in the forum for it), and be sure not to take it too seriously (it very much doesn't take itself seriously!), but for me the embodiment of an amazing space battle game is Battle Beyond Space. It's really condensed to just the good parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Really the best space battle games right now (w/o getting into the other 3 "Xs") are the two Star Wars games and Star Trek (w/o getting into the debate of which is better ). Eclipse/TI3/Exodus and those types have battles in them but there is also an awful lot of other stuff going on as well. Doesn't mean they are bad, but if you are just looking for the "action" they might not fit the bill. Someone mentioned Starfleet Captains which does have some battles but there are also specific missions/tasks you are trying to accomplish. Quantum is fun, but not if you are looking for minis, the ships are dice. Another one that hasn't been mentioned so far is Battleship Galaxies. It is OOP and was not supported by WotC, however it is still available at a decent price. It is pure open the box, setup the scenario and start beating on each other. It is only a 2 player game though... you can play 4 but that's w/ teams.

I don't think anyone has mentioned xia yet. This again has the other 3Xs, but if everyone wants to focus on combat they can. Haven't tried it that way yet so I'm not sure how well it would work out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Martin
United States
Marietta
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops - Not space, but Sci-Fi. 5 minute rules explanation. Plays well from 2-4. All conflict all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korneel Troch
Belgium
Ghent
Oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cosmic Encounter, it's more an alliance and negotiation game but awesome and fast/easy to learn.

Also take a look at Chaosmos it got a battles in it, it's maybe not the game you are looking for since it's a game of racing, devotion and trolling! But funny and you do have to battle quite often sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
Only 3-4 players (though I'm sure you can come up with some 2-player variant rules, if no appealing ones can be found in the forum for it), and be sure not to take it too seriously (it very much doesn't take itself seriously!), but for me the embodiment of an amazing space battle game is Battle Beyond Space. It's really condensed to just the good parts.

Yes, for a pure space battle game, Battle Beyond Space is hard to beat. It's simple and fast (but not too fast to be filler material), light but with more tactical decisions than one would expect after reading the rules. I have also tried Battleship Galaxies, which has much better miniatures, but it's fiddly, long and tedious, lacking any interesting decisions. I actually think Battle Beyond Space is the game that Battleship Galaxies should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfight is a print & play (not free) game of ship-to-ship battles. I bought the base rules a while ago on a whim and have never printed them out yet to try, but it looks kinda cool, and there are a TON of expansions if you happen to like it. Very small initial investment to try, but you're going to be constructing the components yourself so that may be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned xia yet. This again has the other 3Xs, but if everyone wants to focus on combat they can. Haven't tried it that way yet so I'm not sure how well it would work out though.

Xia is a great "Sid Meier's Pirates! in space" game, but the battles are probably its weakest point, since the way it's set up makes it difficult to kill each other unless 2-3 people gang up on a single victim.

And Eclipse is a 4X game that has battles in it, so if you want strictly battles I'd stay away from both of them.

Another crazy thought: it's not space, but there are plenty of ship battles to be had in Merchants & Marauders if the group's the battling type. And there's a decent amount of strategy without bogging the battles down.

Granted, there are a lot of other things to do in M&M, but if you're an antagonistic bunch you'll have 5-6 battles in a single game (which will take 2-3 hours to play if it's your first time). So I suppose if you just want battles, you should probably stay away from M&M, too.

In summary, unless you want to spring for a couple Star Wars: Armada Core sets, I've got nothing for you, but I'm interested to hear other ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
- 2 to 4+ players preferably
- "mid diff. level; easy to learn"
- game length makes no diff
- "avail now to purchase"

have a game night coming up (usually 4-5-6 players) that looks like it might just be 4 of us, and i'm looking for a space battle game (1st choice)...in a perfect world if it could also be played with just 2 that would be a bonus...group has played Firefly (enjoys it a lot), etc...but just looking for something different, but maybe still with a space theme...group also enjoys "Antike like" games as well...

IF you have a great idea not space related, share that as well...conflict welcomed...thanks!

I'm assuming we can loosely define space battle? If so, then games like Eminent Domain, Race For The Galaxy, Roll For The Galaxy, and Core Worlds count b/c you're doing "space battles" against the cards, even if not vs. other players (first arc for RftG has takeovers, but that's an ancillary ability, not a main feature).

Eclipse can be overwhelming... I remember a thorough explanation of the game took 40 minutes, but once you start playing, you're not really bogged down by further rules.

Impulse OTOH... not difficult either. Certainly easier to learn than Eclipse. However, I suppose it can seem complex given the game's relative simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Forbidden Stars might be another one to look at/for... just watching Drive Thru review now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.