Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may end up creating a house rule over here for our gang, but before I do, I'd like to bounce this idea off the group here:

When setting or replacing traits on a species, those cards are placed face down and everyone does the "Big Reveal" at the end of the "Play Cards" phase. However, when electing to increase a species' Body Size and/or Population, it's done right away where everyone can see.

My thoughts are to set some cards off to the side to be discarded and perform the increases at the same time as the card's being revealed.

Has anyone else done this? If so, has it been worthwhile?

For the design team: I assume this concept was considered and play tested, but there must have been a discovery during that time that led to this not being part of the game. Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thoughts: interesting idea; I hope that you play this variant, and post here about your experience.

Second thoughts: it would slow the game down (hang on, these are the cards to increase body size on that species, these are the cards to increase pop on that other species, here are the traits... wait, which pile was which?); North Star Games streamline the rules and basic gameplay, in order to let traits, and the interactions between them, take center stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
First thoughts: interesting idea; I hope that you play this variant, and post here about your experience.

Second thoughts: it would slow the game down (hang on, these are the cards to increase body size on that species, these are the cards to increase pop on that other species, here are the traits... wait, which pile was which?); North Star Games streamline the rules and basic gameplay, in order to let traits, and the interactions between them, take center stage.

My guess, for the OP is that AndAgainMA is right that it would just be too fiddly and hard to keep track of. If they made an app, I'd do it simultaneously as you suggest, but for the physical game it's not worth the hassle, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, instead of laying the cards to be discarded aside, maybe laying them above, below or on the species to be changed. I would think that should eliminate the confusion mentioned about trying to remember what discards were intended for what species.....

Again, just spit-balling here because doing those size and population modifications right out in the open kind of removes a good portion of the guess work (realizing bluffs can and do happen) regarding a player's intention/plan for a particular species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I think I may end up creating a house rule over here for our gang, but before I do, I'd like to bounce this idea off the group here:

When setting or replacing traits on a species, those cards are placed face down and everyone does the "Big Reveal" at the end of the "Play Cards" phase. However, when electing to increase a species' Body Size and/or Population, it's done right away where everyone can see.

My thoughts are to set some cards off to the side to be discarded and perform the increases at the same time as the card's being revealed.

Has anyone else done this? If so, has it been worthwhile?

For the design team: I assume this concept was considered and play tested, but there must have been a discovery during that time that led to this not being part of the game. Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks!!!

Isn't that pretty similar to the change for 6P listed in the rules that everyone should do stuff simultaneously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the simultaneous play variant is you can play slowly and spy out what your opponents are doing. Having a hidden mechanic for body size would be really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
San Louie
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
How about having a screen for each player to conceal how they allocate their card assignments?

That way, you can all do your stuff in secret, then reveal together. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.