Subject: Riverwalkers connectivity question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Got a question.

On the old board, what happens if G3 is occupied and I transform both H4 and H5 coming from different directions.

Am I allowed to include both in a town?

Do both hexes count towards my network, although they are not navigatable via the river, because someone else has G3.

Do they count for sa-sh and distance for the extra tiles? Or does the count of the connected hexes stop at H4 for example?

cheers

SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
yes, it counts for towns and area scoring - it is specifically covered in the rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, connectivity is defined for riverwalkers just the same as for any other faction. They are just a little restricted on where they can actually build in the game.

PS: riverwalkers, as of course you know, don't actually "transform" any hexes (despite the snellman graphics making it look like they do). I am sure you meant that you had "built on" H4 and H5 from different directions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
RTFM

The F&I rules have a picture on page 7, bottom right corner, which shows a Riverwalker town which joins two separate coasts, just like you describe.

Nitpick: this rule question belongs to the F&I rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Thanks for the replies guys. Good news for me then, because I'm afraid I'm going to get cut in a game and that is my only hope.

(Actually it was just stupid initial placement on my behalf, but I haven#t played the rivers enough. Live and learn I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
SillyWords wrote:

but I haven#t played the rivers enough. Live and learn I guess).

a bit of bragging - my first ever riverwalkers game on Snellman (not played them IRL either), and I jump into the 4player highscore list with 189 ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have fire and ice yet, but the river walkers are really interesting (and a little opaque, rules-wise). When they expand, they can only do so to a hex reachable via shipping. Does that mean they can't expand until they increase their shipping (or hold the bonus tile)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
I don't have fire and ice yet, but the river walkers are really interesting (and a little opaque, rules-wise). When they expand, they can only do so to a hex reachable via shipping. Does that mean they can't expand until they increase their shipping (or hold the bonus tile)?

They can't increase their shipping at all - although they are affected by the "ship+1" bonus tile. What I think you're missing is that their shipping level (which as I said can never be improved) is 1, not 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robinz wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:

They can't increase their shipping at all - although they are affected by the "ship+1" bonus tile. What I think you're missing is that their shipping level (which as I said can never be improved) is 1, not 0

Yeah, I was puzzling over that all night after asking the question and then I realised it would make sense if their shipping simply started at 1 like the Mermaids. Didn't know they couldn't increase it, but I suppose that makes sense thematically

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Neill
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
They are affected by the ship+1. Are they affected by the shipping+1 town bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Kaladin Stormblessed wrote:
They are affected by the ship+1. Are they affected by the shipping+1 town bonus?

No. They have no way of permanently increasing their shipping level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking this town tile is a Really Bad Idea (TM) for Riverwalkers (just like it is for Dwarves).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Taking this town tile is a Really Bad Idea (TM) for Riverwalkers (just like it is for Dwarves).

I suppose it's just barely possible that taking this town tile (and thereby denying it to your opponent) as Riverwalkers or Dwarves might be the correct play in some niche circumstances (perhaps it denies biggest network at endgame?) but the opportunity cost compared to taking ANY OTHER TOWN just seems too damn high

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

I suppose it's just barely possible that taking this town tile (and thereby denying it to your opponent) as Riverwalkers or Dwarves might be the correct play in some niche circumstances (perhaps it denies biggest network at endgame?) but the opportunity cost compared to taking ANY OTHER TOWN just seems too damn high

For a 3rd town in round 6 the opportunuty costs may be quite low. often only 3 points. Compared to loosing 6 points on network scoring and giving these to someone else thats quite attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.