United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the adventure in the base set playing solo. I've really enjoyed the game so far, especially the way it feels like the characters develop. Is it worth it to play all through the adventures? I have limited gaming funds and don't know if I'll get someone to play with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a fun game? Yes. Does it get even better as the game goes on? Yes. The one thing you can do is look for the adventure decks on clearance or even used. With two additional adventure paths out currently, I'm kind of expecting the price on Rise of the Runelords to go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Hawk.

You haven't seen any real character development yet with just the base set and first adventure pack. If you enjoyed what you have thus far, you'll get 100+ hours of enjoyment out of the rest of the AP (50-70 hours per run, with 11 characters - final number of hours depending on how many characters you run at once). There's also a good community at Paizo, and one of the community members has created a second AP as well (with some cards you would have to print). I think it is called Shield of Rannick or something like that.

Anyway, while the initial cost is high, with all the play it has seen, the AP has cost me less than $1 an hour, and I bought everything at full price (minus subscriber discount for the last 3-4 Packs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep going ...I played it solo with 3 characters until a friend of mine wanted to play..now he is hooked..he runs one toon and i run 2..we're having a blast...

I own all APs,Character add-on and all the promos..I just ordered Skulls and shackle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still feel like playing then getting the next adventure isn't that expensive and will give you another six scenarios to play through so why not?

Contrary to what some people said I will say that the game doesn't get "better" as you keep playing though. All the adventures are pretty much on par with each other and your character doesn't get more "fun" as they improve, they just get better at completing tasks. So if you were burned out after the first adventure the later adventures wouldn't be any better, they'd feel basically the same as the first one. Fortunately it sounds like you liked the first adventure a lot and want to keep going so playing more of that is probably going to be just as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input. I think I'll keep going now. I wish I had a local gaming store around to look for some discounts but there isn't one nearby. I may look for someone willing to sell or trade if they've moved on to the next games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen them go on sale online. Not sure if you want to wait this long, but Black Friday last year had a few of the decks on sale at stores like CoolStuffInc.

Also, be award that there are two seperate printings of the game. The first was done in China, the second was done in the US. The bottom of your base set box will either say "Printed in China" or "Second Printing. Printed in the USA." If possible, you'll want to get cards from the same printing as your base set box, especially if you aren't sleeving them. The US Printing is slightly "shorter" in height, which has given some people frustration when shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. I'll have to check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.