Subject: Hidden bonus tiles and cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried playing with the large city office bonus tiles and/or city cards face down and only revealing them once each city is visited for the first time? If so, did it add anything to the game?

It seems like this would make sense thematically and add a "fog of war" to exploration since (in real life) you wouldn't know what a region had to offer until you visited it. And an explorer who visited an area first might have the opportunity to establish a relationship with the locals before anyone else so s/he gets a bonus.

Just a thought but I'm curious to play a game or two this way and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect most players would start working towards their cities on their goal cards...it takes a fair amount of the strategy out of the game and possibly replaces it with more luck. If cards are revealed, I may choose to forego my goal card to an extent if I see a potentially better option...but I'd be curious to see what you would find.

I would have fewer concerns with hiding the outpost tiles though...impact is much smaller and generally doesn't guide my strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You remove the complete metagame of map analysis and character selection replacing it with a highly increased luck factor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Malvestuto
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Very randomic, chaotic and foolish varianrlt.

I hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
PrincipeKonrad wrote:

I hate it.

Foolish? Should I be offended or chalk it up to English not being your first language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgillivray wrote:
PrincipeKonrad wrote:

I hate it.

Foolish? Should I be offended or chalk it up to English not being your first language?

No i think he meant what he said.

Doing that is fine if you want to, but i would think most people are not going to play that way. It eliminates almost all strategy and whoever gets luckiest wins......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre E
Germany
Krummhoern
flag msg tools
mcgillivray wrote:
Has anyone tried playing with the large city office bonus tiles and/or city cards face down and only revealing them once each city is visited for the first time? If so, did it add anything to the game?

It would make some characters almost unplayable depending that much on luck. Like Wilhelm von Rubruk needs some money making spots in the beginning, Kubilai Khan needs strong cards near Beijing, Johannes Caprini need to teleport to the 3vp's small city early...

You would weaken the travel actions as the earnings are uncertain.Most of the time you plan your route cause of the actions and boni along the route.

The two "cheapest" routes via Moscow and Ormuz would be even used more often and the other routes via Samarcanda or Kochi would be skipped cause the ability to travel them fast enough depends very much on the card set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.