Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardline: Globetrotter

A Fast-moving Trivia Game
Designed by Frederick Henry
Published by Asmodee (2013)

I played this game five times last weekend. It was a hoot.

For those unfamiliar with the Timeline series of games it works like this. The metal tin holds about 100 cards. Each card has details about a particular country on one side – size (area), population, GDP and CO2 levels per capita. On the other side of the card is the name of the country. At the start of the game each player is given five cards, country side up. One card is placed (approximately) in the middle of the table with data side up. You decide which of the criteria is in play. Players take turns selecting one of their face down cards and placing it in the middle of the table. The card must bne placed so that the order of cards is correct. For example, if you are looking at population and the card on display is Australia with a population of 22 million and you are playing the China card, you need to work out if the population of China is smaller or larger than the population of Australia. If you place the card correctly that is the end of your turn. If you place the card incorrectly it is discarded from the line and you draw a replacement card. As the game progresses and the number of cards in the middle of the table increases it becomes more difficult to correctly place your tile.

I played the game as a two-player game and it was fast and fun. I have played other Timeline games with up to six players and found the game to work nearly as quickly and to still be a lot of fun.

The cards represent countries such as the Galapagos Islands, Luxembourg, Moldavia as well as many better known places. Some of the countries I had no idea where they were. Part of the fun of the game is to discuss the placement before and to get other people’s opinions and comments afterwards.

Population was interesting. I was fairly accurate with that. Often my opponent, after placing a card and before flipping it, would get my opinion regarding the population and I was usually within a million of the correct number. I found area quite difficult with countries such as Palestine, Cypress, the Philippines, Algeria and Mongolia being quite different to what I expected. CO2 emissions are also interesting as it is calculated on a per capita basis. Countries such as China which produce lots of CO2 also have a large population which mitigates the level of pollution. GDP was also interesting. I have no idea what some countries produce.
I found the game very entertaining. I don’t normally like trivia games but what makes this one quite good is that the information is relative. Most trivia games you need to know stuff. With the concept of placing cards in order, even if you don’t know you can still make an educated guess – because it is all relative.

My only complaint about the game is the statistical data will change over time. In ten years the figures may all be wrong so enjoy the game quickly, while you may.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OMG! I Am So Ignorant!
I have this also David, we played it and found it quite good as well. A little harder than timeline with the different parts of the cards. But all in all a great little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.