8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attack + Special Action that Causes Attack(s)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a figure can perform two actions on its turn (in skirmish), but can neither attack twice nor perform the same special action twice. Can a figure use one action to attack, then a special action which allows more attacking? For example, could Luke attack and use the Saber Strike special action in the same turn, or could Vader attack and use Brutality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The actual rule is you can only take one action that involves performing one or more attacks. Thus, performing a Special action that performs an attack or attacks will reach the limit.

Here's the rule:
RRG - Attacks (p6) wrote:
• Unlike heroes, a figure that has a Deployment card can use
only one of its actions to attack per activation. This includes
using special actions that involve performing one or more
attacks (such as the Nexu’s “Pounce” or Darth Vader’s
“Brutality”).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that some actions that end up dealing damage are not attacks. For example Force Choke and Slam are not an attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rod
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
**please forgive me if this particular question has been answered elsewhere; I searched and searched for a ruling on this and could not find one**

Q: Is the Nexu Pounce ability ALWAYS considered an attack? ...what if the player elects not to perform the optional attack?

Consider the above-referenced ATTACKS rule [pg6 RRG]:

"Unlike heroes, a figure that has a Deployment card can use only one of its actions to attack per activation."

I am suggesting that a player who has their Nexu Pounce and elects NOT to use the optional attack has not "used [this] action to attack". Therefore, the Nexu could use a remaining action to attack or, perhaps, use their preceding action to attack (as I show in the below example).

I suspect that the counter argument to this will be proof that the optionality of the attack is irrelevant; pounce is ALWAYS considered an attack (perhaps because the presence of the word attack ALWAYS makes that ability an attack).

Example: The Imperial Player wants to have their Nexu use their first action to Attack an adjacent Hero and then Pounce away. Are they not allowed to Pounce at all because the ability is ALWAYS considered to be an attack (and they have already attacked)? ...or can they Pounce and simply not be allowed to use their optional attack because they attacked already on their activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not positive, but it seems reasonable that you have only used an action to attack if you actually performed an attack with that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rod
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it seems reasonable but I would like to know what people think the existing rules say about this. I think the primary difference between Pounce and - say - Vader's Brutality is that the attacks in Brutality aren't optional so it obviously an attack; it doesn't do anything else.

I'm hoping to hear from a few more people about this. In the end, my group will obviously do what we think makes the most sense for our campaign and gameplay, but I still would like to make a satisfactory effort to interpret the rules as written correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack from Pounce is optional. If you don't perform it, Pounce did not perform an attack and is not counted towards the one-attack-action limit.

(It may also be that after Pounce there are no valid targets.)

For example if you first perform an Attack action, then Pounce without the attack, you have only performed one action that contained one or more attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.