Subject: Commanders worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that either A) Commanders are under powered. B) I am missing something. Or C) I am stupid and should stick to playing chess for my war games.

As far as I know commanders give only the ability to ignore 1 flag and that is it. Besides them dying and giving my opponent the win.

Please tell me I am missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuelistofAges wrote:
It seems that either A) Commanders are under powered. B) I am missing something. Or C) I am stupid and should stick to playing chess for my war games.

As far as I know commanders give only the ability to ignore 1 flag and that is it. Besides them dying and giving my opponent the win.

Please tell me I am missing something.

I believe some tactics cards benefit from the presence of leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are partially right! However, the new Expansion #5 Leadership (due in August) totally changes this by making leaders have key roles in battles!

All the particulars are available in the thread by Michael Dippel on the forum for the expansion which links to the fan site at www.ccnapoleonics.net. It is here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1383800/new-expansion-5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not really missing anything. Commander blocks are not super (combat) units but they aren't useless either. They are more useful on the board than immediately moving them off table to avoid a potential loss.

My observations on how to use Commander blocks in Commands & Colors: Napoleonics :

1] You're stuck with them as part of the scenario set-up because without divisional or corp commanders you'd have no combat blocks in the area. Tack it up to historical simulation.

2] Don't get them killed. Obvious but some players seem to forget Commanders are not combat units.

3] Treat them as your enemy's objectives; ones that can move and retreat. I've used them as lures against inexperienced players. Plus if the situation gets really hairy they can simply move/retreat off the table without the enemy gaining a victory flag.

4] They count as Line of Sight obstructions yet can't be targeted by ranged fire, at least until the next expansion. Block that pesky enemy artillery LOS.

5] The two Leadership cards in the Command card deck can be game changers. For example a leader attacked to a decent cavalry unit plus a leadership card is a monster shock force.

6] Don't underestimate the effect on booster morale. The ability to ignore a flag really enhances a otherwise non-elite force, ie. regular artillery, from losing a key position or battleback. Commanders can help an attached unit in square ignore a flag like little else, pretty important for regular infantry vs cavalry. Sometimes that's the difference between victory or defeat.

7] Leaders stop retreats. Great for saving fleeing militia heading for the (board) edge.

So keep them away from potential melee range. Attached to a strategic reserve cavalry unit ready to counterattack or as a booster morale next to an artillery dueling at long range are both decent locations. Leading infantry attacks attached to a unit is rarely a good idea, but sometimes unavoidable. Commanders are better as morale boosters for defensive positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders also could as support, so a lone leader behind 2 units will create a support to both.

But the new Command Deck in Exp.5 will give these cards

and special Tactics cards, many which require leader led units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. The only effect of leaders in C&CN and Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition is that they allow a unit to ignore a flag.

Both games also allow an unattached leader to stop a unit retreating through their hex. Although, with retreats limited to 1 hex for all units, this power is less useful than in ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
That's correct. The only effect of leaders in C&CN and Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition is that they allow a unit to ignore a flag.

I'd change 'only' with 'main'. Generals in Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition allow attached units to 'take ground' and in doing so override terrain movement restrictions. Normal attacks do not allow 'advance after combat', ie. take ground. Plus there are three Leadership cards that give +1 combat through generals. Finally there is the almost broken command card 'Call for Reinforcements' that allows a brand new unit to appear next or with a general anywhere on the board and can battle immediately, a truly bang yer dead effect.

kentreuber wrote:
Both games also allow an unattached leader to stop a unit retreating through their hex. Although, with retreats limited to 1 hex for all units, this power is less useful than in ancients.

Many C&C:N units, particularly in the expansions, retreat multiple hexes per flag results. There are also green units in Battlecry with multiple retreat effects. Although few flee as much as C&C:A light cavalry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, Robert, about the subtleties of the Leaders in the non-G.M.T. game.

Only thing I wanted to be sure was clear is that, barring some scenario specific rules, Leaders may only evade off of the board, and cannot be ordered and moved off of the board - probably what you meant anyway

flapjackmachine wrote:
Plus if the situation gets really hairy they can simply move/retreat off the table without the enemy gaining a victory flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Great post, Robert, about the subtleties of the Leaders in the non-G.M.T. game.

Only thing I wanted to be sure was clear is that, barring some scenario specific rules, Leaders may only evade off of the board, and cannot be ordered and moved off of the board - probably what you meant anyway

flapjackmachine wrote:
Plus if the situation gets really hairy they can simply move/retreat off the table without the enemy gaining a victory flag.

Yes, to be clear in C&C:N Leaders can retreat (because of a combat result) off the board without being counted as eliminated but cannot be ordered to move off the board edge during regular movement. Retreating leaders do not have to stop upon meeting other leaders or units. Sorry if I was unclear earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.