Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Cthulu Realms" setup variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Lawrence
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the Rhado Runs Through for Cthulu Realms /video/74660/cthulhu-realms/rahdo-runs-through-cthulhu-realm....
Rhado referred to Cthulu Reamls as "Star Realms 2.0". This was in part due to the reduced number of factions (3 vice 4) and the starting deck setup.

Variant1:
Replace two Scouts with Explorers in starting hand

Variant2:
Remove all of one factions cards from Market deck pregame. And only play with 3 factions.

I expect gamers would have tried Variant2 already, has anyone tried Variant1? (or tried something similar)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dom
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about something similiar. Playing the App a bit lately and there are a lot of different setups or playvariants.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
i'm interested in using the multiplayer rules from CR for star realms, with the different trade rows & damage being applied to both neighbors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a meeple person!
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrClaw wrote:
I just watched the Rhado Runs Through for Cthulu Realms /video/74660/cthulhu-realms/rahdo-runs-through-cthulhu-realm....
Rhado referred to Cthulu Reamls as "Star Realms 2.0". This was in part due to the reduced number of factions (3 vice 4) and the starting deck setup.

Variant1:
Replace two Scouts with Explorers in starting hand

Variant2:
Remove all of one factions cards from Market deck pregame. And only play with 3 factions.

I expect gamers would have tried Variant2 already, has anyone tried Variant1? (or tried something similar)

I'm curious about that, do people like the lowering of the faction number? For me this is a reason why I am not going to play Cthulu Realms, 4 factions are better than 3, honestly I'd prefer to have 5 or 6 even.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
4 factions are better than 3, honestly I'd prefer to have 5 or 6 even.


I thought I'd read that the designers had tried different numbers of factions for Star Realms and concluded that 4 was the best balance, with fewer the ally abilities would be to easy to trigger, and with more they wouldn't trigger often enough. I think it might be possible to have more than 4 factions, but either with a "pick 4 of 6 to play with" or with cross faction abilities or dual faction cards which would make the game more complex, so I can see why they went with 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrClaw wrote:

Variant1:
Replace two Scouts with Explorers in starting hand


How does this work exactly? Is this:

A starting deck of 2 vipers, 6 scouts and 2 explorers.
A starting hand of 2 explorers + first player draws one card & second player draws 3 cards from their deck of 8 scouts + 2 vipers?
A starting hand of 2 explorers + first player draws one card & second player draws 3 cards from their of 6 scouts + 2 vipers?

Any of these options would change the value of various cards - my feeling is that they would make some of the weaker cards (e.g. Federation Shuttle) even weaker so I'm not sure how well it would work in Star Realms - it'd be interesting to try though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer depends a lot on how easy it is to get additional card draws. If there's plenty of card draw, more factions can work. And if there are (many) cards that count as multiple factions, you can also have more factions.
However, if there's too much card draw and multi-faction cards, strategy will suffer, since at some point it no longer matters which faction cards you buy.

I was a bit surprised when I heard that Cthulhu Realms is only going to have three factions. But not having seen any of the cards, there's no way to tell how well it's going to work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
I think the answer depends a lot on how easy it is to get additional card draws. If there's plenty of card draw, more factions can work. And if there are (many) cards that count as multiple factions, you can also have more factions.
However, if there's too much card draw and multi-faction cards, strategy will suffer, since at some point it no longer matters which faction cards you buy.

I was a bit surprised when I heard that Cthulhu Realms is only going to have three factions. But not having seen any of the cards, there's no way to tell how well it's going to work.


I do like that they added a couple of other ways to trigger extra abilities beyond "faction ally" and "scrap this card". If I remember correctly, there are abilities that are usable if any card was scrapped from anywhere this turn, if any player discarded a card, and card type (character/artifact/location) allies. I would love to see some of these start popping up on Star Realms eventually since it will add new design space for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms does have some extra ways of triggering abilities - Embassy Yacht's ability triggers by bases in play (& a few other cards like that in expansions), the set of bases with "If you played a base this turn", but more different ways of trigger abilities sounds good to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Star Realms does have some extra ways of triggering abilities - Embassy Yacht's ability triggers by bases in play (& a few other cards like that in expansions), the set of bases with "If you played a base this turn", but more different ways of trigger abilities sounds good to me.


True. I forgot all about them because they did not have a special icon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.