Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to fill the niche of how Shadow Hunters feels with 6 or 7 people, but have it work for 4. I realize this isn't a true traitor game, but I'm looking for the feel more than the mechanics.

We used to play BANG!, but have traded it out for the dice version. The dice version solves some issues we had with BANG! - early elimination (sometimes before someone even had a turn) and the time it takes to play. The downside of this is that it'd be nice to have something with a bit more teeth.

We also tried Betrayal at House on the Hill and no one was really that into it. Making a significant amount of the gameplay simply be board setup wasn't very fun. Then, when the event happened, a couple players were killed so quickly that they had nothing to do for 20 minutes while the game played out.

I've been looking at Dark Moon, Dead of Winter, or Shadows Over Camelot. BSG appeals most to me, but I think the time it takes to play and that it's not that great with 4 players eliminate it.

Dark Moon
My understanding is this BSG Express with the theme changed and the mechanics tweaked. It sounds like it works well with 3+ players. I'm leaning most to this one, but it's the one I know the least about.

Dead of Winter
Biggest problem here is one of the players, my girlfriend, hates zombies. So, getting her to even try this is going to be a struggle. It's hard to justify the price on this when almost anytime I game, she's gaming with me. So, if she can't get past the zombies, then it's wasted money.

Shadows Over Camelot
One of my concerns here is there's not always a traitor mechanic. It also sounds like other games might do the traitor mechanic better. It also sounds like it's more co-op than traitor. I don't might co-op, Pandemic is great, I just want something that fills a different niche.

So, thoughts? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: I am not a fan of zombie games and I typically avoid anything zombie related. Dead of Winter walks this interesting line, as yes, it is about zombies, but at the same time, the zombies are completely in the background. It is more a game pf survival and psychology, and inevitably, those factors interested me enough to try the game. I now greatly enjoy the game and am glad I didn't rule it out. Try selling your girlfriend on this point and maybe she will give it a try.

Shadows over Camelot: I believe there is a variant where it is guaranteed for someone to be the traitor.

Also, I would recommend looking into Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. The game was successfully kickstarted and will be available in December. So obviously, there is a bit of a wait on this one, but keep it on your radar as this might be a good game for your group. From what I hear (I backed the project, but have not played it yet), it works well at 4 and can play up to 13 people. Note though, that it is not quite in the same vein as Dead of Winter and Shadows over Camelot. Deception is a marriage between Resistance and Concept/Mysterium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Dead of Winter
Biggest problem here is one of the players, my girlfriend, hates zombies. So, getting her to even try this is going to be a struggle. It's hard to justify the price on this when almost anytime I game, she's gaming with me. So, if she can't get past the zombies, then it's wasted money.

Shadows Over Camelot
One of my concerns here is there's not always a traitor mechanic. It also sounds like other games might do the traitor mechanic better. It also sounds like it's more co-op than traitor. I don't might co-op, Pandemic is great, I just want something that fills a different niche.

Dead of Winter is also a 'possible' traitor, like Shadows Over Camelot. You could guarantee a traitor in both games, but I feel that it is the uncertainty in these games that make the traitor mechanic more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
VaultBoy wrote:
Dead of Winter

Shadows Over Camelot

Dead of Winter is also a 'possible' traitor, like Shadows Over Camelot. You could guarantee a traitor in both games, but I feel that it is the uncertainty in these games that make the traitor mechanic more fun.

You're right. I spaced that off. If you always knew there was a traitor they probably wouldn't play as great.

Been looking around BGG and came across Homeland. Would appreciate some thoughts on it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
A Study in Emerald has a lot going on, including hidden team behaviors. You may want to check out the 2nd ed when it comes out. I love the first edition, but I believe it's OOP.

I also like [redacted], which has hidden teams as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
BSG appeals most to me, but I think the time it takes to play and that it's not that great with 4 players eliminate it.

The Cylon Leader Motives from Daybreak made 4-player games BSG very playable for us. You need a player who likes to play Cylon Leader though (we have two and a half). We play a 4-5-player game (with all expansions to Kobol) in 2-2.5 hours, which is less than most groups. (We're nearing 150+ games played.)

Not a traitor game either, but take a look into Discworld: Ankh-Morpork (while it is still available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Homeland: The Game.

There are (up to) three factions in play: Loyal Agents, Political Opportunists and a Terrorist Mole, each trying to influence the resolution of threats on the board (the Political Opportunists can benefit if a threat isn't neutralized but they still don't want the Mole to succeed).

It's "up to" three because one card is discarded for the game and that could be the Mole, however, the way the game is structured, the Mole can still win, which makes for a good deal of paranoia and distrust.

If BSG is of interest to you, but not the game length, then perhaps the description of Homeland as being the crisis deck resolution every turn may appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most zombie things are about zombies. And I mean that as an insult. Dead of Winter is about zombies the same way The Walking Dead is about zombies, which is to say, not particularly.

However, if she won't watch The Walking Dead, then she won't play Dead of Winter, and there's no point buying it. It's awesome to play, but if you don't play it, it's just an expensive overly large paperweight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Dark Moon, just because it's a more solid game from my experience. I find that both Dead of Winter and Shadows Over Camelot can be anti-climatic. DoW because that red die can end games quickly and with not much of any way to mitigate it. The traitor can win by doing nothing which doesn't seem like much of a game to me and isn't fun either. SoC however needs a traitor to be difficult without expansions, the game is just a piece of cake and ends once you get more swords than the game can beat, no reason to keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
A Study in Emerald has a lot going on, including hidden team behaviors. You may want to check out the 2nd ed when it comes out. I love the first edition, but I believe it's OOP.

A Study in Emerald sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to add the 2nd edition to my watch list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the recommendations in this thread I ordered:
Homeland: The Game - Setting seemed different and interesting, plus I think my group will really enjoy it.
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork - I love Discworld and from the game reviews this looked like a lot of fun. Plus sounds like 2 player will be viable for when it's just me and my girlfriend playing.

I'll keep you posted once I have a chance to play.

I will likely pick up Dark Moon later this year and have a couple others on my watch list.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.