Subject: cards upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone know is there a card that upgrades the general troops as I've been reading the rules on and off for a bit and noticed that there is a rule that allows you to place any upgraded unit for no rage, so I was wondering if that means if you upgrade the normal grunt can you place all of them for no rage cost ? I'm guessing there Isn't a card that allows this (as it would seem too strong if there was) Just wondering as cannot wait to get, see and play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall seeing a card that raised general troops from strength 1 to strength 2 in the playthrough video posted on the Kickstarter. This is balanced by the fact that you always pay Rage equal to the unit's strength when you place them no matter what modifiers contribute to that strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No the rules state on page 16 "troop upgrades when you play a leader warrior or ship upgrade if you have the corresponding figure in your reserve you may immediately (before the next players turn) invade with it without spending any extra rage" so I still read this as if you upgrade your eight warriors (from you reserve off board) you can place them (invade) in any available regions, which to me is a huge play as unless anyone else does likewise makes yggdrasil yours for the taking as you get all eight units on board then move them (costs two rage possibly) and thereby grab the three upgrades with little to no fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tequi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are also limited by your horns stat of your clan sheet, your maximum amount of figures are 10, so you already have some troops on the board you have to reduce the spawn of your upgraded regular warriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree,but it still (if you have the required horn cost) allows you to get all eight troops on the board for little to no cost compared to everyone else ? Which to me seems a little khorne (sorry wrong game ) unfair. Unless there are multiple warrior upgrade cards that allow everyone else to do likewise ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tequi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, but I'll guess we have to wait and see for that specific card, maybe it costs 4 rage to use it or it is balanced differently!? Anyway your question is really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
The way I read the rule months I go was different. If I upgrade my troops to two strength in a turn, I may immediately invade with ONE unit without paying for it(you already payed when you played the upgrade card). All units already on the board gets 2 strength also.

If I updgrade my troops to deploy two at the same timeyou already payed when you played the upgrade card), I may immediately place two troops without paying for it and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
No the rules state on page 16 "troop upgrades when you play a leader warrior or ship upgrade if you have the corresponding figure in your reserve you may immediately (before the next players turn) invade with it without spending any extra rage" so I still read this as if you upgrade your eight warriors (from you reserve off board) you can place them (invade) in any available regions, which to me is a huge play as unless anyone else does likewise makes yggdrasil yours for the taking as you get all eight units on board then move them (costs two rage possibly) and thereby grab the three upgrades with little to no fight.

The use of 'it' makes me think one, not eight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again I agree you could read it as being one unit be it leader ship warrior or monster, but I'm sure you might get people reading it to be all units of that type, the fact that there is only one leader ship monster (specific upgrades to individual monsters) I'm in agreement that it should only apply to one unit and will play it that way also. Unless official faq says otherwise or if the rules get changed (as I'm only looking at the beta ones that were posted on kickstarter) just posted to see if anyone else read it the other way also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tequi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someone at Gen Con can clarify this for us meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
Again I agree you could read it as being one unit be it leader ship warrior or monster, but I'm sure you might get people reading it to be all units of that type, the fact that there is only one leader ship monster (specific upgrades to individual monsters) I'm in agreement that it should only apply to one unit and will play it that way also. Unless official faq says otherwise or if the rules get changed (as I'm only looking at the beta ones that were posted on kickstarter) just posted to see if anyone else read it the other way also.

"If you have the corresponding figure...invade with it" shouldn't need to be clarified in the rules as "ps, this doesn't mean "if you have any of the corresponding figures...invade with any of them". However, saying "if you have a corresponding figure.." would add an extra element of singularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tequi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I found a limitation in the rules(Kickstarter Beta Rules)that impedes the massive free spawn of regular troops. See page 14, Invade: "You cannot use this action to place a figure directly in Yggdrasil; to put your troops in Yggdrasil you’ll have to March them there." So you are limited to free villages on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again yes I agree, I was just trying to say (rightly or wrongly)that theoretically you can get all your warriors on the board for just the rage cost of a warrior upgrade card. I do think that the two suggestions subsequently posted seem most likely ie the rage cost for the upgrade card will negate it. Or "it" means just one troop. Must stop reading rules late at night I think, and maybe just wait for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Guys, even in the let's play video of the campaign, when they played a troop upgrade card, they only deployed one unit in the case of the two strength upgrade, or deployed two units in the case of the two troops for one rage upgrade. To deploy everything would be overpowered, so good sense supplement the ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play an upgrade card, you get to invade with one of that troop or monster type AT THAT TIME. In later Ages, you pay the unit's cost to invade. (Possibly modified by other cards, but that's a whole other issue.)

I believe that all three Ages have both Warrior and Leader upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
Again yes I agree, I was just trying to say (rightly or wrongly)that theoretically you can get all your warriors on the board for just the rage cost of a warrior upgrade card.

No, that's not correct. You get one Warrior on the board for the cost of that upgrade, and the rest of your Warriors for whatever the modified strength of your Warriors is after that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow well that answers that then. Thanks Susan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is above, but if anyone needs further clarification, here are the specific rules that clarify it:

Quote:
TROOP UPGRADES
When you play a Leader, Warrior, or Ship upgrade, if
you have the corresponding figure in your reserve, you
may immediately (before the next player’s turn) Invade
with it without spending any extra Rage.

And the definition of "Invade" on page 14 of the rulebook says:

Quote:
INVADE: Place a figure from your reserve onto an
empty village on the map.

and

Quote:
INVADE
Choose a single figure in your reserve and pay Rage equal
to that figure’s STR. Take that figure from your reserve
and place it into any empty village in any outer province.
If the chosen figure is a Ship, it must be placed in any
fjord. You cannot use this action to place a figure directly
in Yggdrasil; to put your troops in Yggdrasil you’ll have
to March them there. Also note that invading with your
Leader does not cost any Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be slightly dense then as I read the upgrade play to be, spend rage to upgrade then place one (yes I do now agree that it only applies to one unit ) for free, as you already spent rage to play the upgrade card, reading post above mine this person is saying you need to spend two lots of rage ?? One for the upgrade card then one for the unit you wish to place (invade with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you got that from my post, but no, you don't pay twice. You get a free invade as part of the cost of the upgrade, and by game definition, any "invade" involves placing a single figure. After the upgrade (and the single free invade), you'd have to pay the higher cost for any future invades with the upgraded unit type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.