Hide
11 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Faction Necromancers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Yes, build an army out of your opponents' minions.

Necromancers PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HVRxtusLCYbVgyYkNUdjBmSnM...

Necromancers PP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HVRxtusLCYN3FFYkgyaHI5Y2c...

MINIONS x9

2P Necromancer x3 - Talent: Tap or Untap. Ongoing: When this minion becomes tapped, put an opponent's minion of power 2 or less in a discard pile here under your control.

3P Overseer x3 - Talent: Tap or Untap. While this minion is tapped, play the triggered abilities of minions that come under your control here.

4P Conjurer of Spirits x2 - Each opponent searches their deck for a minion of power 3 or less and puts it into their discard pile.

5P Necro Master x1 - Talent: Swap an opponent's minion of power 2 or less you control for a power 3 minion in its owner's discard pile.

ACTIONS x11

Animate Dead x2 - Choose an opponent's minion of power 2 or less in a discard pile and put it into play under your control. Draw a card.

Reverse Burial x1 - Choose a minion in each opponent's discard pile and return it to its owner's hand. Each opponent affected then discards another minion, or reveals their hand to show they have no other minions.

Necropolis x1 - Play on a base. Ongoing: Your opponents' minions you control here cannot be destroyed or returned to hands.

Kiss of Death x1 - Sacrifice an opponent's minion you control to destroy a minion of up to 2 greater power.

Curse x1 - Play on an opponent's minion. Ongoing: When this minion goes to the discard pile, put it into play under your control unless its owner discards 2 random cards.

Dark Ritual x1 - Sacrifice any number of opponents' minions you control. For each minion sacrificed this way, draw a card and put a +1 counter on one of your minions.

Diabolic Tutor x1 - Search your deck for a Necromancer action card, reveal it, put it into your hand then shuffle your deck. You may sacrifice a minion to play it as an extra action.

Book of the Dead x2 - Choose up to 2 of your opponents' minions you control, then swap any number of them for a minion of up to 1 greater power in its owner's discard pile.

Last Last Rites x1 - Special: After an opponent's minion you control goes to the discard pile, discard 2 random cards and put it into play under your control.

Notes:

(1) Zombies only allow you to manipulate your own discard pile, while Necromancers only allow you manipulate your opponents' discard piles. From my experience they feel nothing alike, which is great.

(2) For minions with Talent: Tap or Untap. On your turn, you may either tap or untap the minion. Thus, with Necromancer for example, you could use its ability on every other turn. But while the minion is tapped, it goes down to 0 power (or loses its power). Then when you untap it, it goes back to its normal power. Might sound confusing for those new to a "tap" mechanic but functions smoothly in game.

(3) You can use the talents of opponents' minions you control, and their ongoing effects are active. You own the minion until it is destroyed or returned to a hand.

(4) You "put" the opponent's minion into play rather than "play" the opponents minion from the discard pile. Thus, since you "put" and not "play," its triggered ability does not go into effect. This is where Overseer comes into use.

(5) Curse comes with good strategy. Play on a low-powered minion in order that your opponent will more likely let you have it for the 2 random cards, or play on a high-powered minion and hope your opponent lets you have it! Or, choose an opponent who you knows really doesn't want to discard their cards and play on a medium-powered minion.

Fun deck. I was able to steal an opponent's gravedigger on my last game using Book of the Dead, and I happened to have an Overseer on the base and so was able to use its triggered ability. So far the deck has not shown to be overepowered, so hopefully no changes will be required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roque romero
Spain
flag msg tools
Very VERY interesting deck, it seems a little more complex than your usual Smash up! deck via the tap/untap actions but I'm dying to try it... Great layout and image elections.

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomia1 wrote:
Reverse Burial x1 - Choose a minion in each opponent's discard pile and return it to its owner's discard pile. Each opponent affected then discards another minion, or reveals their hand to show they have no other minions.

I don't understand this card. Normally, one player's card is never in another player's discard pile. And none of the cards that you list in this deck change that. Did I miss something, or is this card (or others) worded incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I looked at the files and see this is worded incorrectly here. It should be

anomia1 wrote:
Reverse Burial x1 - Choose a minion in each opponent's discard pile and return it to its owner's discard pile hand. Each opponent affected then discards another minion, or reveals their hand to show they have no other minions.

That's an interesting card, that might backfire on you when you play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Yea, it could back fire on you or it could work well in your favor. Most decks have 1, sometimes 2, cards that are sorta dud cards that may or may not be good in all situations. Usually I try to put one of those in each deck, especially if I think they are already on the strong side. Good catch thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frenzied coder
msg tools
It looks like this faction features putting minions into play without activating their on-play abilities. Would you still get to use their Talents and Ongoing abilities? That would be especially attractive for Mimic.

Out of curiosity, why is Overseer's ability a Talent instead of just an Ongoing ability? It doesn't seem terribly useful to avoid using the on-play abilities of minions you take control over. Maybe Microbot Guard, but those kinds of subtle uses don't seem to justify the complexity of Overseer's current ability. Just a thought.

So the point of tapping and untapping Necromancer is just a speed limit where there's a cooldown on his ability. I wonder if there's a way to do that without introducing foreign terminology like "tapping". If you use that term, you have to at some point answer the question of whether cards start tapped or untapped, and whether you can double tap a card, and all that. By contrast Dominion Adventures gives you tokens you're supposed to flip over for the same purpose, and the cards that uses them (like Giant) tell you the token's starting orientation. That seems like a more elegant standalone description, but if you ask people to look up what "tapping" a card means, then this terminology works too. I'm just pointing out that you are implicitly asking people to be familiar with that term in order to understand this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Hello Frenzied Coder,
I explain in the notes that you can use the talents of your opponents' minions you control, and that their ongoing abilities are active. Personally, I do think it might be too strong to have their triggered abilities automatically available to you as well. Main reason is this: When you play Smash Up you have 2 factions available to you and therefore the triggered abilities of 2 factions available to you. But when Necromancers is one of your factions, you basically have 4-10 different factions available to you with all their triggered abilities to choose from, so I wanted to cool it down since their talents and ongoing abilities are already strong enough in my opinion.

I agree with you however that Overseer's ability is more complex than your average Smash Up card, but, and I've always thought this way, the game itself comes with 8 basic factions. When new players play Smash Up for their first time my friends and I usually limit ourselves to the first 8 plus Awesome level 9000. Then, as they get used to the game, we introduce the "more complex" factions that are in the later expansions (yes, only a few are more complex though lol..) and my customs factions for a greater challenge! As players advance in their skill level, they should have the chance to play a more challenging deck in my opinion. And for the players who want to keep their game simple and not have to think about their cards, just play Zombie Microbot lol.

I explain tapping more in depth on the Merfolk custom faction page; the Merfolk custom faction I designed uses a lot of tapping. Yes, it comes off as confusing when trying to explain the mechanic in writing, but when you get hands on with it it is relatively simple and smooth. I can say the above with confidence because we've been playing the Merfolk for over a year now with players of all skills levels and it hasn't caused any issues. Some of my other friends were also concerned it was potentially too confusing when I introduced it at first, so your concern is valid. Honestly though, new players to the game have had more trouble grasping or getting comfortable with using "special" than "tapping" which sounds bizarre but is true from my experience..

I'm willing to change any and all cards so I do really enjoy the feedback. I also attach powerpoint documents to all my factions, and you will find that you can edit them rather easily. Simply copy and paste the bottoms of the card and add whatever new text you wish for your own game experience. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great mechanic. The explaining tapping to new players isn't that hard. Overseers ability being a talent also means his power goes down to 0, which is a trade off in using his ability.

Out of curiosity, when a minion is tapped is its total power 0 no matter what actions, abilities and or power counters are on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Hey Deuce47,

When a minion is tapped, its power can still be buffed by other cards, +1 power counters, or actions played on it. If you like the mechanic, check out my custom Merfolk faction below, it gets quite a bit of play at our house games

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19553728#19553728

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had checked it out,but was confused by the -2 o tapped cards. Shouldn't it say 0 since minions can't have negative power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Yea, I've thought about putting 0 too but for some reason I liked the aesthetics of the -. But it probably shouldn't be there nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.