7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Traffic, a tile game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Zanchi
Vietnam
flag msg tools
For a few months now I've been thinking about the design of a game which I called Traffic. It's a competitive tile laying game for 2 to 4 players, in which they compete to navigate through the streets of a city to reach their destination and back.

I have recently finished a prototype version and am hoping to convince the players in our group here in Saigon to give it a try. I believe the rules are quite mature, but I am sure it will be broken in a few places.

I am quite keen on designs which introduce asymmetry or a change of tempo somewhere. In this design there are two phases: a tile playing phase, where players take turns to construct the terrain a la Carcassonne, and a movement and action phase, in which they try to complete the objectives that will give them victory points.

I tried to include several winning strategies and also to include quite a few mechanisms for players to interfere with each other, to avoid the "multiplayer solitaire" scenario that a few games end up with (Alhambra, I am looking at you).

Currently we have a designer working on some illustrations, and I expect to have a decent draft in the next few weeks. Not sure yet if I will try to self publish. I am close to China and India, so it might not be too challenging and costly to find a printer myself, but I would need to get funding from Kickstarter or something similar, and I have no experience in that... We'll see.

Marco (The Inquisitive Crow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I like the two-phase idea.

You should get playtesting this as soon as you can -- your artist might be wasting their time on a part of the game that won't be there when you move forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Zanchi
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Thanks. You are right about the designer. I have run the game a few times with my girlfriend, but that's surely not enough to iron it all out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be interested in someone else's difficulties with getting a game about traffic (Turnpike) published:

http://www.tabletopmovie.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Zanchi
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Ah, interesting... thanks for the links.

I am going to create a blog here to talk about this design. As far as I know it's new, with ideas borrowed from here and there though. It's one of the 4 or 5 designs we currently have "in progress". It's definitely the more mature one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Zanchi
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Play test went well. The game is not broken, and most of the feedback was on component design rather than mechanics. It did play quite fast though (about 1 hour), but I think that might be fine.

The first phase took a little bit longer and was less fun than I expected, but the second phase was much better. I will think of something to lengthen the second phase and make the first phase more interesting.

I think we also had a problem with too many tiles. That's a nice problem to have, as I can always reduce the number of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
You may be interested in someone else's difficulties with getting a game about traffic (Turnpike) published:

http://www.tabletopmovie.com/

Turnpike. The same thing came to mind. I have not seen the game though.

Also, there are two kinds of play testing. INITIAL and DETAILED.

Initial play testing is really helpful as you are righting the rules. This can be done with a few close friends, or by your self (not recommended). The aim is to see if the game work. You can answer questions the players may have. This is what you are looking for: Questions. At this stage, art is not important here.

Detailed play testing should be done with out you or anyone explaining the rules - this is called blind play testing. They play testers should willingly and knowingly come to play your game more than once. A feedback form will help you 1) find problems with the game 2) see if people like the game 3) see if people understand the rules and 4) get positive comments about the game that you can use to market your game later. Art is important here, the game should look close to being finished.

After detailed play testing you can think about publishing, or giving it away for free, or aborting. Just thinking about publishing will cost you time ( = money ).

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.