Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Community Faction? MUTANTS (a sewer themed deck) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roque romero
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi there!

I like MatEffect idea of factions made among the people from this forum, and since I'm probably not too good coming with new mechanics or technical stuff, I prefer to volunteer on the graphic or illustrative component of new factions if needed...

But, well, remembering how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) were always ready for a comic book team up back in the 90s I started to fantasize of the idea of a TMNT themed deck, with each turtle and character with habilities based on their nature on the comic books and tv series, but later thought that Smash Up! sounds cooler when its factions are more 'generic' and began to think on the fashion thread that the Turtles generated back in the day with other rad mutant animals (Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Pre-Teen Dirty-Gene Kung Fu Kangaroos or other exploitative characters like the Battle Toads or the Biker Mice from Mars...)

At the same time I think that more 'weird/funny' decks are a must (like the ones on the Pretty Pretty expansion) and came with this idea of stray mutant animals from the sewers (Turtles, crocodiles, hamsters, snakes, maybe even exotic pets, crabs(a deck of crabs based on the crab horror books series of Guy N. Smith), rats... Don't know) maybe with habilities based on bringing more minions in play (plagues) and lowering base break points (destroying the habitat and its creatures...)

Well, don't know what do you think about something like this, but it sounded interesting to me so I decided to write it down in case any one could be interested on toying with this idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frenzied coder
msg tools
Re: Community Faction? Sewer Mutant Pets
One thing to watch out for is putting too many words in the title of a faction. Names like "Zombies", "Dinosaurs", and even "Nazis" pair really well with other factions to form a combo: "Nazi Zombies", "Dino Plants", "Steampunk Princesses", etc. However, some factions from the original game are already a combo of two ideas: "Cyborg Apes", "Giant Ants", "Mad Scientists", and those factions don't combo as well with other factions: "Giant Ant Plants", "Fairy Cyborg Apes", "Mad Vampire Scientists". Those sound more like 3 ideas put together, which is not what Smash Up is really about.

So a basic problem with trying to make a TMNT faction is that the idea is already a combo of 4 different ideas: Teens, Mutants, Ninjas, and Turtles. Making each of those individual factions might not be terribly interesting (a "Turtles" faction?).

What I'm really recommending is that the faction be just be called "Mutants", and the art and themes should feature mutant animals in sewers like you're talking about. That way we'll get combos like "Mutant Ghosts", "Mutant Pirates", and "Mutant Elder Things", as opposed to "Sewer Mutant Ghost Pets", which seems a little more clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roque romero
Spain
flag msg tools
Re: Community Faction? Sewer Mutant Pets
Hi, Frenzied Coder.

You are completely right... I must confess that I was trying to seduce more people with the idea of sewer themed mutant creatures (TMNT fans, C.H.U.D. enthusiasts or even THE HOST admirers...), and thought that calling it 'Mutants' could lose some of its punch...

But, yes, the idea is MUTANTS... Depicted as pets and animals, victims of chemical and biohazard stuff, coming back with a vengeance and with a sewer themed deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.