BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: ...and then there were none. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I first began my Euro journey, back 7 years ago, it seemed as if I would never be able to purchase everything I wanted. There were so many games I wanted, but worse, so many categories to fill. And as I purchased games, new ones popped up that had to be purchased.

But just the other day, as I thumbed through the thousandth GenCon preview, I realized something: there isn't a single game that I really feel compelled to purchase.

I wanted this, that and the other mid-heavy Euro, got em.
Played many other popular ones, bought a couple more, rejected most.
Got into an LCG on the ground floor, check.
Purchased a 4x.
Bought a couple of wargames.
Kickstarted a game or two.
Got an RPG-lite mini quest or three.
Picked up a couple of expansions (decided they're rarely worth the trouble).
Got a deckbuilder or two.
Bought a couple "couple" games.
Tried solo gaming (OK, but not the same).
Pushed the boundaries (Sherlock Holmes, Tragedy Looper) a bit.
Got my hands on a couple of harder to find games I wanted.
Went in for a "Deluxe Edition" (War of the Rings, can't wait!)

...and that's pretty much it. Oh, I'm sure that if I picked up the newest hotness, I'd have an OK time with it. La Granja, Forbidden Stars, what have you. But as much as I'd play these if I have the chance, it's just that I can't see paying that much money for a game that isn't all that different from what I already have.

My point here is not to debate how different any of the new hotness is from previous games, or to poke holes in the above list of acquisitions (you haven't tried dexterity games yet!) Nor am I tired of the hobby - I still love playing everything I have. It's just that after about 100 games on the shelf, I guess I kinda feel as if my collection is fine as it is, and I won't be adding to it unless something truly compelling comes along.

How about you? Clearly, my collection is miniscule compared to some here. Has anyone else reached a point where their collection seems fine as it is, and the new hotness just isn't compelling and different enough to spend good money to add to your collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, I've reached the stage where I've greatly slowed down my game buying. Even preparing myself to start offering some games for sale/trade. Part of this is being part of a game group where there are often new games being played. I don't think I'll get to the point where I buy zero games. But close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:

How about you? Clearly, my collection is miniscule compared to some here. Has anyone else reached a point where their collection seems fine as it is, and the new hotness just isn't compelling and different enough to spend good money to add to your collection?

I treat games a bit like movies : there are very few you want to watch over and over again and the grand majority you watch just once and be done with it. That way of looking at it would become pretty expensive pretty fast if it wasn't for trades. Both regular and math trades. They allow you to check out a game and then pass it on basically for the price of renting a movie. Between trading and buying maybe 20 new games/year I manage to get a good rotation in the collection and plenty of new games on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. While I still get games...I've severely cut back. I'm at 88 games right now (not counting expansions). My goal for my collection is games that I always would want to play.

In other words, I never want to have a game because *maybe* I *might* want to play that game sometime years down the road. Get those weaker games out, I say!!!

But this year's crop is good, but nothing that has me uber excited. I'm newer in the hobby and I'm actually enjoying getting the great games in the past into my collection and MUCH more excited about reprints than the newer stuff coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find that keeping about 30 games gives me decisions, without feeling like a hoarder. Usually if I purchase something new I consider getting rid of something else since they start to overlap.

As a result of the above, I generally end up trading rather than purchasing and the only way my collection grows is getting 2-for-1s during trading or buying something on deep discount for later trading. I'm fairly happy with this arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savagec wrote:
I find that keeping about 30 games gives me decisions, without feeling like a hoarder. Usually if I purchase something new I consider getting rid of something else since they start to overlap.

As a result of the above, I generally end up trading rather than purchasing and the only way my collection grows is getting 2-for-1s during trading or buying something on deep discount for later trading. I'm fairly happy with this arrangement.

Ultimately it's probably just a matter of taste. Some are comfortable with lots of choice, and some with tons of choice. Potato, potahto. 30, 100. 100, 3000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
I treat games a bit like movies : there are very few you want to watch over and over again and the grand majority you watch just once and be done with it. That way of looking at it would become pretty expensive pretty fast if it wasn't for trades. Both regular and math trades. They allow you to check out a game and then pass it on basically for the price of renting a movie. Between trading and buying maybe 20 new games/year I manage to get a good rotation in the collection and plenty of new games on the table.
Totally this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:
I guess I kinda feel as if my collection is fine as it is

thats good! (I'm trying to be supportive while being jealous)
Judging by your post I assume any holes we may point out you just have no need to fill, also something to be proud of.
I just passed the 100 mark here on BGG but I have yet to embrace it because I still have some dead weight games and extensions are counted. I think for someone with your attitude the best way to continue collecting is to make sure you do have the best of the types you like the best. I think even the most active gamer could be happy with a small collection given enough time to find the perfect fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I think even the most active gamer could be happy with a small collection given enough time to find the perfect fit.

Not really - no matter how good a game is, eventually either my game groups or I get tired of it and then it moves on to a new home where it can be loved once more. I don't collect games, I just have an extensive but continuously evolving library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the DCE of gaming

As Sagrilarus put it:

Quote:
Modern game design seems to just keep putting itself into a tighter box each year. No one scores too much, no one scores too little, the game doesn't run to long, no one has to wait for their turn very long . . . it's like we're heading to that point in gaming where everything tastes the same, like the difference between going to different chain restaurants that have the same items on their menus. Focus group-driven design.

This is the DCE -- Deluxe Cheeseburger Era of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
I think even the most active gamer could be happy with a small collection given enough time to find the perfect fit.

Not really - no matter how good a game is, eventually either my game groups or I get tired of it and then it moves on to a new home where it can be loved once more. I don't collect games, I just have an extensive but continuously evolving library.

I'm currently that way too but a big part of what motivates our collection is our game groups! and I think that's key. If I just had three gaming friends and we had the money and time to check out every game out there I think we could be happy with under 50 games. I think thats plenty to get the best, the best for the players, the complex enough, the variable enough, and so forth.
It's just easier and cheaper to get more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. I'm beginning to find that I treat my board games more like trophies or paintings on a wall. My precious space is only reserved for those games that I deem "extra-special", feel proud to own, and actually play. I'm feeling pretty good at about 60+ unique base games. I might even want to trim that down a little more, if possible...

I know there's a ton more out there that I would enjoy and a ton more coming that I could enjoy, but I'll play them when I play them and look forward to those days that I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. Around 100 games, and all of them are games that I have a reason to bring to the table sometimes.

Over the course of my time acquiring games, I've replaced games with ones that do the same thing in a way I prefer, and I've gotten better at knowing what sorts of games I like. Any new purchases are usually taking place of a game that is close to what I like but doesn't totally do it for me.

But yeah, it's a good place to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought my 200th game. I suspect I will buy more. However, I know where the OP is coming from: my insatiable thirst for new games is slowing down as I try to actually play all the ones I own. Luckily, I get to play a lot of games in a year and with a variety of people so the majority of my collection gets used. Dunno how I would feel if those games were just sat there, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
The Hound wrote:

Exactly. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the most powerful movies I've ever watched. It's an amazing film and easily in my top 5. I own the special edition on Blu-ray. I've watched it twice. Some games are like that. A few I keep around solely to play with people who have not played that particular game yet because they're incredible to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been afflicted with the disease known as "sanity". Symptoms include having extra spending money, more storage space, being able to bring more of your total game collection to other groups at one time, and more time and effort devoted to your other existing games, as well as games of other people's game libraries. meeple

Walking into a FLGS, visiting an OLGS, or going to a convention where there will be a mucho selection of games is similar as walking into a mall food court.... I'm doing OK enough to purchase something from each of the 5 to 20 eateries. However, I'm only going to buy a meal and perhaps an additional snack/dessert from 1, or up to 3 establishments for that visit. I don't have the wallet, nor gut to support everyone all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through a resurgence with gaming, after a few years without a group my wife and I finally had people to play with again, and it has been great. My collection also exploded the last 60 months, but is still under 60 items (36 games, 21 expans).

Thing is we now struggle to choose which game to play, given we have too many games we'd like to play. Very few purchases have been flops, as I research rather intensely, but there are clear preferences and games that fall into a quick shadow.

Purchases are certainly slowing (especially with the summer slow-down) and I need to get back on track for important things (like camera lenses ), which gaming has detracted from slightly (but not much, because have you ever seen what a big white costs!?)

There are 3 games I can off the top of my head think of adding. Cosmic Encounter, as it would be a big hit with my group based on the personalities at the table; Troyes, as my wife likes games in that style and they are quite enjoyable; and El Grande, a classic game seeing reprint soon I am highly compelled to see what the fuss is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like new experiences, so I definitely don't feel my collection is complete yet. By the same token, I don't mind rotating games on/off my shelf.

Hell, moreso than any other hobby, I've found that board gaming is one where my opinion on games can change pretty substantially over time (see: the decline of City of Remnants), meaning that old standbys or games I really enjoyed once may well start gathering dust or become hated games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for the most part, I mean at some point you have "too many games" you can't play them all equally and consistently enough to merit keeping them all. If you have thousands of games and played non-stop all day, all your games... depending on what games you had you'd need years to really respect and enjoy each game in turn, appreciate it's worth in a proper way, which is what we aim for. But then you'd only have played each one a couple times and for months neglected others. It's okay I think to have a bunch of games, but in the end you'll find you tire of some and become more excited about others and ALWAYS there are more new, great games coming out! I understand the urge to buy every good game you know of, every game you personally would enjoy, to explore different genres and so forth. But games are expensive and time is limited. No one really has the time to play games all day long. So I rant, but ultimately what I'm trying to say is that I get the whole buying games thing. I imagine at some point you COULD enjoy a simple collection of games, and never add newer games. You'd be missing out some, many would argue. Even if right now you find the newer games to be not up to par, perhaps in a year one will come out that is better than any you'd ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I suspect I'm going to level off around 100 games, then my purchases will be more of a trickle and less of the torrent that they are currently. But I'm fairly new to the hobby (just over one year), so that's to be expected. There are many games that I want and enjoy, but I'm not a collector nor impractical, so I don't anticipate my collection growing at the same rate indefinitely.

I've experienced this before with hobbies, many that I'm still somewhat involved with. There's a period of rapid expansion followed by a plateau.

Cult of the New I am not, though. I enjoy browsing Kickstarter, so there will likely be 2-3 per year that I find through it. But my favorite games are those I can really dig into and get to know. So I'm experimenting with lots of new games currently, but I know that, long-term, the best way for me to approach the hobby is to carve out my collection and really get to know it on a deeper level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the interesting position of being on a "second wind" in the hobby. I started gaming back in the '80's and amassed a nice collection. Then life happened & I didn't do much gaming at all. Now I'm getting back into it and am seeing all kinds of new games out there (Euro games? What's that?) plus some nice updates of old familiar titles. I have two nice throttles on the buy everything urge. Budget (family to support, other expensive hobbies--buy games, a big white (yes, I know how dear those come), or another go-fast part for the car), and an already-developed preference on games. There's plenty I see & think that would be cool, but will I really play it? I could also use that money for fresh brake fluid before the next track day so I don't die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
I suspect I'm going to level off around 100 games, then my purchases will be more of a trickle and less of the torrent that they are currently. But I'm fairly new to the hobby (just over one year), so that's to be expected. There are many games that I want and enjoy, but I'm not a collector nor impractical, so I don't anticipate my collection growing at the same rate indefinitely.

I've experienced this before with hobbies, many that I'm still somewhat involved with. There's a period of rapid expansion followed by a plateau.

That's pretty much what happened to me. My gaming group has been going strong for over a decade. We always played board games, but they were more of an off-night from RPGs until about 2010 when we really got into the hobby. I then became the host (and main game provider) in 2012 and only had about 10 games at the time. In one year, I went from 10 games to 60. In the past 2.5 years, I've gone from 60 to 100.

Now I have all of my favorite mechanisms represented multiple times, enough games of all player counts that there's always a ton of options no matter how many show up, and enough varied lengths to fill any time slot.
I have a mix of modern classics and new hotnessrs. In order to buy a new game at this point, it's going to have to create some truly special buzz. Like when Dominion introduced a whole new genre of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to add the comment that I think this post holds some of the truest wisdom about this subject. That has been an extreme rarity in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.