Subject: treasure chests optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you allowed to ignore chests, even if you can open them, to keep your characters available for later dangers?

Also, if yes is the answer to the first question, 2nd question: if you encounter a chest and a loot/coin icon on a card, can you ignore the chest but still take the loot coin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Are you allowed to ignore chests, even if you can open them, to keep your characters available for later dangers?

Also, if yes is the answer to the first question, 2nd question: if you encounter a chest and a loot/coin icon on a card, can you ignore the chest but still take the loot coin?

Yes, chests are optional. You are not required to spend a companion to open them.

If you encounter a chest and a loot, you may take the loot and leave the chest unopened.

Of you encounter monsters and loot however, you must defeat the monsters before you can take the loot (or if you prefer, take the loot, then drop it when you flee if you can't defeat the monsters!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfecto, this matches our assumptions, i just wanted to double check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stone
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is not clear ANYWHERE in the rule book. Had we not already played DUNGEON ROLL, we would not even have thought to question it.

Come on TMG. This rule book is really bad. "Anvd", "Charater" ???

Your DUNGEON ROLL rule book was a mess too. I know you guys are small, and I really like most of your games, but you really need to be a bit more professional

Yikes - just found out about the missing rule too.

So to keep track - The Dungeon Roll rule book had the same page printed twice and was missing a page, this one is littered with typos and missing rules, and I don't even want to get into the 2-player Eminent Domain micro game rule book that made no sense at all...

Please guys - hire a proofreader and play testers. I'll even volunteer to do it for free!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muttstain wrote:
This is not clear ANYWHERE in the rule book. Had we not already played DUNGEON ROLL, we would not even have thought to question it.

I'm making a note to add this clarification to the rule book for any future printing.

Under Monsters it says you must defeat them, and it further says that if you don't, you must flee. Under Chests it says that they require a companion to open them - it does not say you must open them, nor does it say you must flee if you don't open them.

However, this question has come up from players, so it deserves to be addressed specifically in the rules.

Quote:
Come on TMG. This rule book is really bad. "Anvd", "Charater" ???

"Anvd" has already been corrected in the updated rules.

"Charater" on page 8 was not an error I was aware of, I have just made a note to fix that for any future re-print. Thanks for the heads up on that one!

Please let me know if you find any more typos and I will make a note to fix those as well.

Quote:
Yikes - just found out about the missing rule too.

The scroll rule was added late in development, but that's no excuse to have omitted it in the rulebook! It's been added to the updated rules.

Quote:
So to keep track - The Dungeon Roll rule book had the same page printed twice and was missing a page,

Fortunately the missing page in the Dungeon Roll rule book was a repeat of the information on the player aid card! This has of course been fixed in the re-print.

Quote:
this one is littered with typos and missing rules, and I don't even want to get into the 2-player Eminent Domain micro game rule book that made no sense at all...

There's an updated rule sheet for Microcosm as well. Many players had no trouble with the original one, but some definitely did. The updated one is probably not perfect, but is definitely better.

Quote:
Please guys - hire a proofreader and play testers. I'll even volunteer to do it for free!!!

The funny thing was that the Microcosm rules got public scrutiny, and comments were incorporated into the final rules. I was therefore surprised by the level of complaints on that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.