Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Axis Reserves / Offensive Support / Naval markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready to teach this one Thursday night, so want to make sure I am handling this correctly.

When reserves are placed in theater boxes and/or front entry spaces, do I:

1. Immediately remove an equal number of Naval markers / Off Support, or
2. Just match up each reserve with a Naval marker / off support marker (then at the end of the conference remove all Off support (per 7.71), and remove a number of Naval markers equal to the number of reserves placed in the Theater box, or
3. Do it either way because either way it works out the same, or
4. Do it another way, because both of the above are wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Getting ready to teach this one Thursday night, so want to make sure I am handling this correctly.

When reserves are placed in theater boxes and/or front entry spaces, do I:

1. Immediately remove an equal number of Naval markers / Off Support, or
2. Just match up each reserve with a Naval marker / off support marker (then at the end of the conference remove all Off support (per 7.71), and remove a number of Naval markers equal to the number of reserves placed in the Theater box, or
3. Do it either way because either way it works out the same, or
4. Do it another way, because both of the above are wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky


3 but I find 1 is the easiest.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I hoped 3 was correct :-). Thanks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption with option 2 is that the rule about Front strength modifications is simply saying that each reserve "cancels out" one Offensive support or one Naval marker (as well as eliminating it). So, for instance, if I have 5 Offensive Support in a space and then three reserves are placed in the space with them, my Front will be at 6 Strength (3 are "canceled," so I am left with 2 base strength + 2 Offensive support markers of 2 strength each). I think this is correct (?)

How are others doing this mechanically?

Thanks again, Mark.

Best,
Ricky
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
My assumption with option 2 is that the rule about Front strength modifications is simply saying that each reserve "cancels out" one Offensive support or one Naval marker (as well as eliminating it). So, for instance, if I have 5 Offensive Support in a space and then three reserves are placed in the space with them, my Front will be at 6 Strength (3 are "canceled," so I am left with 2 base strength + 2 Offensive support markers of 2 strength each). I think this is correct (?)

How are others doing this mechanically?

Thanks again, Mark.

Best,
Ricky


Correct, very simple.

What I do which is how it is written is place all reserves, remove reserve and off/naval on a one for one basis, determine strength, roll die.

If amphibious space and loss of naval neuters advance, nothing more to do.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Occasionally I overthink things. Not always, but occasionally :-).

Quote:
What I do which is how it is written is place all reserves, remove reserve and off/naval on a one for one basis, determine strength, roll die.


This ^^ is what I was reading into the rules, but could not confirm because I do not think they ever say anything about also removing the reserve (although I am always willing to be wrong). Makes sense, and exactly the info I was looking for!

Best,
Ricky
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Thanks. Occasionally I overthink things. Not always, but occasionally :-).

Quote:
What I do which is how it is written is place all reserves, remove reserve and off/naval on a one for one basis, determine strength, roll die.


This ^^ is what I was reading into the rules, but could not confirm because I do not think they ever say anything about also removing the reserve (although I am always willing to be wrong). Makes sense, and exactly the info I was looking for!

Best,
Ricky


I respectfully request that you read the playnote in 7.7.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PLAY NOTE: Each Axis reserve essentially removes one offensive support marker prior to the Front advance die roll; this makes it easier to do the math. Alternatively, just remove one offensive support marker for each deployed Axis reserve army and then calculate the Front’s strength.

Believe me, I have read that many times :-). Must be the difference in the way folks read things. I may be the only one, but it still does not say to me "and remove the reserve marker along with it." That is ok, since you have clarified it for me! Thanks again for your great help.

Best,
Ricky
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
PLAY NOTE: Each Axis reserve essentially removes one offensive support marker prior to the Front advance die roll; this makes it easier to do the math. Alternatively, just remove one offensive support marker for each deployed Axis reserve army and then calculate the Front’s strength.

Believe me, I have read that many times :-). Must be the difference in the way folks read things. I may be the only one, but it still does not say to me "and remove the reserve marker along with it." That is ok, since you have clarified it for me! Thanks again for your great help.

Best,
Ricky


It is a playnote, inferred from the rule. You win it does not say that exactly. You should just follow the rule exactly as written, no shortcuts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please understand that I am not concerned about showing myself right. I only want to make sure I understand. The intent of the rule, as you stated earlier, is that reserves and offensive support/naval markers each be removed on a one-for-one basis. That is very clear now. But for me, it was not clear from the rule, or from the play note (yes, I did "infer" it, but had great trouble actually confirming it since it was not explicitly stated—sometimes that happens).

Maybe next iteration of the rules it would be good to add to that play note (or to the rule itself) an explicit statement that they are removed on a one-for-one basis. That way there is no doubt that this is what the rule is saying. Or, again, maybe I am the only one.

Thanks again for your help, Mark.

Best,
Ricky
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Please understand that I am not concerned about showing myself right. I only want to make sure I understand. The intent of the rule, as you stated earlier, is that reserves and offensive support/naval markers each be removed on a one-for-one basis. That is very clear now. But for me, it was not clear from the rule, or from the play note (yes, I did "infer" it, but had great trouble actually confirming it since it was not explicitly stated—sometimes that happens).

Maybe next iteration of the rules it would be good to add to that play note (or to the rule itself) an explicit statement that they are removed on a one-for-one basis. That way there is no doubt that this is what the rule is saying. Or, again, maybe I am the only one.

Thanks again for your help, Mark.

Best,
Ricky


Sorry if I appear difficult but the rule states and the example does not require any interpretation. Front has a base strength of 2, each off spt marker adds 2, each reserve subtracts 2. Roll equal to or less than final value.

I hope this restatement is helpful.

All the best,

Mark
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all good, Mark. You've been more than a gentleman. I have it now. And the restatement further clarifies.

Best,
Ricky
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
It's all good, Mark. You've been more than a gentleman. I have it now. And the restatement further clarifies.

Best,
Ricky


Your welcome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.