Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else dislike the recommended layout for the phoenixborn/deck/conjurations/dice power cards?

I arrange them with the conjurations in the top left with my Phoenixborn to the right of the conjurations. My draw deck is in the bottom left with the discard pile above it. Then in the bottom right/middle right are my dice power cards. Battlefield is to the right of my Phoenixborn, and Spellboard is to the right of the discard pile. This is so much more intuitive to me than the recommended set up.

Here are some alternate layouts:

Alt Layout 1:

Alt Layout 2:

1.Conjuration Pile
2.Phoenixborn
3.Battlefield
4.Draw Deck
5.Discard Pile
6.Spellboard
7.Dice Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommended layout
I was doing a mock game last night and had a similar thought. Going off the setup on the rule book (page 5). I just swapped the discard and draw pile with the conjuration pile and Phoenixborn.

So the diagram is now:
9 1
2 3

We'll see how it feels after I play it more. Not that it really matters that we need to follow it (unless they print mats).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I was doing a mock game last night and had a similar thought. Going off the setup on the rule book (page 5). I just swapped the discard and draw pile with the conjuration pile and Phoenixborn.

So the diagram is now:
9 1
2 3

We'll see how it feels after I play it more. Not that it really matters that we need to follow it (unless they print mats).

Hopefully if they do mats, they'll just be beautiful pictures of the artwork and not the layout kind (like with Dice Masters).

The rulebook says it's a suggestion, so it doesn't seem to be like mandatory or anything. And hopefully when/if they do tournament play, they won't require a specific latout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That layout sounds way better to me! Thanks for suggesting this. I was puzzling over the recommended layout in the rulebook, since it obscured the Phoenixborn from your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely how you want to do it. I think it's just a straightforward recommendation to keep the cards you need to read closer. Eventually, I won't use the dice cards at all.

I've seen the playmats they're working on and they are just art. Gorgeous, glorious, amazing art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It's entirely how you want to do it. I think it's just a straightforward recommendation to keep the cards you need to read closer. Eventually, I won't use the dice cards at all.

Even considering the dice themselves have special Side Action abilities associated with them?

Quote:
I've seen the playmats they're working on and they are just art. Gorgeous, glorious, amazing art.

Good to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

This is wonderful to hear. People don't have to worry about messing up their own layouts and we get to appreciate more of that wonderful art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Even considering the dice themselves have special Side Action abilities associated with them?

Yep. They are easy enough to memorize. Charm is a +1/+1 buff for the round. Ceremonial brings back an ally from discard at a cost of PB life equal to unit attack power. Nature pings a unit. Illusion nukes one of their dice. I'd use them in demos or with new players, but in most scenarios, they aren't needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.