Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

On the rending strike card, it states that you can discard one Combat card to reduce an enemy's armor.
The card itself also contains that Keyword.
I guess I can't use that same card for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can't use the same card, for it is not in your hand anymore.

I found Rending strike a fairly weak card: 2 card expense (itself and the discarded Combat card) in order to lower physical defence by 2 so its only marginally useful:

It adds 2 damage tops on one attack, at the cost of 2 cards, same as the discarded buffs on Regular axe attaks
Only works on physical attacks, so no compatible with the uber-Fire of Fury
Cost 2 Resolve, and that's a Double Slash, much better card altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's my view on it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But maybe it is still very usefull if the armour reducement is perpetuent.
Meaning it stays lowered.

That way it could be useful for enemies whom you'll have to attack with multiple different attacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered if the armour reduction was perpetual or not. I play is not but... I dont know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalisto59 wrote:
I always wondered if the armour reduction was perpetual or not. I play is not but... I dont know for sure.

It's not perpetual unless otherwise stated by an effect. Still, since it's a Reflex you may use it any time to influence the Defence of any Enemy in range 1. This includes helping out other Heroes with their attacks if your Hero Area is empty, or if another player is attacking an Enemy in your Hero Area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
kalisto59 wrote:

It's not perpetual unless otherwise stated by an effect. Still, since it's a Reflex you may use it any time to influence the Defence of any Enemy in range 1. This includes helping out other Heroes with their attacks if your Hero Area is empty, or if another player is attacking an Enemy in your Hero Area.

I didn't realize the last bit would be an option , you effectively get a range increase to other heroes who have no enemies in their area or is it only if they have no heroes and are helping you out (defence or attack)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
I didn't realize the last bit would be an option , you effectively get a range increase to other heroes who have no enemies in their area or is it only if they have no heroes and are helping you out (defence or attack)

Any Action that targets Enemies automatically gains +1 Range if you have no Enemies in your Hero Area (Rules of Play, p. 13, Empty Hero Area, right after Action Range entry on p. 12).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay thanks for the tip (I somehow never read this)

You still have to discard 2 cards (this one and another) which makes it still an expensive card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

Any Action that targets Enemies automatically gains +1 Range if you have no Enemies in your Hero Area (Rules of Play, p. 13, Empty Hero Area, right after Action Range entry on p. 12).

I got the range increae but never thought of playing a reflex in the defence phase on a hero that had carried out an action in your area. I can see the logic but it was not obvious , definitely a FAQ candidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bruce
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so my range 1 reflex can be used to modify an attack of an ally, as long as the attack is directed at something in my hero area?

I would have assumed that the target of the reflex was the ally (at range 2) but what we're saying here is that the target is the action happening within my own hero area and therefore at range 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rending Strike is a card you can use any time (it's a Reflex). This means that you can (apart from the most obvious use):

- Target an Enemy at Range 1 (your Hero Area), when another Hero is attacking that Enemy, to lower that Enemy's defence for the duration of the attack's Resolution.

- Target an Enemy at Range 2 (other Hero Area, Quest Area) if your Hero Area is empty, to do the same as above.

All this is possible, because Rending Strike specifically targets the Enemy, and not the card another player is resolving. Cards that add damage to an effect require effective Range to that effect. So, for example, the Arcane Infusion (which targets the damage dealing effect) requires 2 Range to work on an attack made by anoher player (and it has 2 Range specifically for that purpose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
Rending Strike is a card you can use any time (it's a Reflex). This means that you can (apart from the most obvious use):

- Target an Enemy at Range 1 (your Hero Area), when another Hero is attacking that Enemy, to lower that Enemy's defence for the duration of the attack's Resolution.

- Target an Enemy at Range 2 (other Hero Area, Quest Area) if your Hero Area is empty, to do the same as above.

All this is possible, because Rending Strike specifically targets the Enemy, and not the card another player is resolving. Cards that add damage to an effect require effective Range to that effect. So, for example, the Arcane Infusion (which targets the damage dealing effect) requires 2 Range to work on an attack made by anoher player (and it has 2 Range specifically for that purpose).

Just as a recap for myself.

As its not a separate attack it can be used to support another attack from a collegue.

Thanks for clearing this up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.