Deus» Forums » Rules

Subject: building temples without space to place it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
devan maggi
Italy
milano
flag msg tools
Rules state that a)"In order to construct a temple from your hand, you must follow these steps..."
and also state that (b) "Unlike the other buildings, it is still possible to play a Temple card if the temple supply is empty. In this case, you simply do not place a wooden temple on the gameboard".

Now, suppose you do not have room to build a temple (because all of your regions have already one); it looks like clear that, if the temple supply is not empty, you cannot "actively" play a temple card, but what about if temple supply is empty?
Yes you can ,because of rule b, or No,you can't because rule a) is still active, except that you don't place, according b), the wooden temple, and all the other requirements are still active, including having room for the temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume you cant build it. Even with the temple supply gone, I think you need to have a place to put it (we use another piece instead, because its a temple for all purposes).

Is this really likely to happen? You need to have 1 of each building for your 2nd temple, 2 of each for your third, etc.

So, unless you're building on the same place every time, you should have room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems incredibly difficult to get into this situation.

The only ways I can see are:
1. You only built a single boat, and try to build your first temple (which can't go in the water)
2. You built all of your pieces into a single region, and try to build a 2nd Temple
3. You built all of your pieces into 2 regions, and try to build a 3rd Temple

Personally, I would rule that you must have room to build the Temple, even if the supply is already exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
(we use another piece instead, because its a temple for all purposes).

Where in the rules are these instructions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
(we use another piece instead, because its a temple for all purposes).

Where in the rules are these instructions?

Well, the rules say dont place a temple, but I believe (in other threads here) that its been stated that you do everything as if you had placed an actual temple, so we use a coin or something just for counting purposes. Or you could just remember that you have that temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you cannot build the temple card since you have no viable place to put it (ie a region with one of your other buildings)..

If you DO have a place available but the supply is empty, we play it that you can build the card but do NOT have the temple on board, meaning the card would still give you end game bonuses BUT the player cannot take advantage of the physical presence of that temple (ie it does not count as a building in the available territory since no wooden piece is available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
meaning the card would still give you end game bonuses BUT the player cannot take advantage of the physical presence of that temple (ie it does not count as a building in the available territory since no wooden piece is available).

This could be true - the thread on it seems inconclusive, but most people seem to think you dont put anything on the board (I misremembered...).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336711/building-and-scorin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devan maggi
Italy
milano
flag msg tools
[quoting Faranim]

1. You only built a single boat, and try to build your first temple (which can't go in the water)
____

Why? Is there a rule that states you cannot build temples over a ship? Note that the rule "The other [ie not ships] buildings cannot be constructed in sea regions" applies to "standard buildings" (it is in that chapter) and not to temples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devan wrote:
[quoting Faranim]

____

Why? Is there a rule that states you cannot build temples over a ship? Note that the rule "The other [ie not ships] buildings cannot be constructed in sea regions" applies to "standard buildings" (it is in that chapter) and not to temples

In the clarifications at the back it is stated that maritime buildings are the only wooden pieces playable on sea regions. Temples are clearly wooden pieces but are not maritime buildings so can't be played on a sea region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devan maggi
Italy
milano
flag msg tools
You are right! I hope that in a 2nd edition this rule (referred to temples) will be written un the "temple section" and not in the "playing blue cards" section... Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
devan wrote:
You are right! I hope that in a 2nd edition this rule (referred to temples) will be written un the "temple section" and not in the "playing blue cards" section... Thanks

Though you do need to know how to play blue cards to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.