United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have tried this scenario like 7 times now with no success. The Shrine of Norgorber, Torture Pit and the villain are killing us. Any advice? We're playing witch and gun-lady.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are going to give this one a try this week (4-player campaign), and then I'll pipe up. Are you running out of time? Getting wrecked by combat damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
We had no problem with it, but we had 4 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely running out of time. We've also gotten hit really hard a time or two and had to 'jump ship'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished this scenario with Alahazra, Jirelle, Ranzak, and Seltyiel. We kinda got wrecked by Barnabas the first time we encountered him. But once we scouted his location, the scenario became doable. Alahazra is great for finding where things are but maybe you have a Spyglass or the Loot Farglass? Only taking him on when the two of you can do it I think would be key.

For locations like the Shrine and Torture Pit we have used two strategies. Either gang rush them to try and close as fast as possible or use things like the Wheel or Seamantle that let you move there, explore as much as you can, and then get out.

If you find you don't have some things you need to do this scenario, maybe house rule that after 7 attempts (!) you can exchange with the box for the cards you need and give it one more try.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we could definitely use more items etc that let you look at the decks (we have none) or explore then move (we have one). It also hurts that the witch has no armor, and I have only 4 cards in my hand. Tough to chew for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe add a special character just for this scenario. Take a tank like Valeros or a great support character like Alahazra or Lem. Or Damiel seems like a powerhouse. Give this character feats and good cards and show Harrigan what's what!

It's your game, you should have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lirianne is still at hand size of 4? Maybe change that too, since we're talking fixes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we thought of last night was to make the two people we started playing with back in adventure 1 to come play this one with us so that we can beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Report how it went meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we couldn't wait and we played two more times last night. Through a miracle of my lovely wife rolling two 1's in a row on a D4 and the villain being in exactly the right place at just the right time, we somehow won. Sheesh. I dub thee the most difficult scenario I've ever played (so far). I think I'll be having nightmares about Barnabas Harrigan in the Torture Pit for the rest of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I thought I would pipe up with "We have played it 8 times so far and lost it all 8."

The group is Lirianne, Damiel, Seltyiel, Lini and Oloch.

What we have been doing is gang closing the Torture Pit and the Shrine then closing one more and everyone looking for him. The way it seems to work is that he successfully hides until we are low on cards in the blessings deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pity you. The nightmares are still recurring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I read the paizo blog as well, and there they imply that the Erinyes Devils are supposed to banish the divine cards of anyone that plays them during a battle, which would make this battle almost impossible, as you would lose any blessings you had, helping vs them.

Quote:
When we were writing this game months and months ago, we needed to add another power to the Erinyes Devil, and I suggested that perhaps these Divine-hating ladies should banish any of your boons with the Divine trait. And now they do. Oops. #sorrynotsorry. I am sorry that I just used #sorrynotsorry, though. Anyway, watch out for the Erinyes Devils. Hopefully, you can fight them without needing help from your friends. By the way, if I was in your party, I probably wouldn't help you. Those are my blessings, and I worked hard to get them, and I'm not gonna banish them just cause you bumped into an Erinyes Devil. This game is more cooperative for some than it is for others. Anyway, smash the devil, and send her away forever.

I read that to my wife and she said "Well, that's stupid."

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh0p?Shiver-Me-Timbers-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
I read the paizo blog as well, and there they imply that the Erinyes Devils are supposed to banish the divine cards of anyone that plays them during a battle, which would make this battle almost impossible, as you would lose any blessings you had, helping vs them.

Quote:
When we were writing this game months and months ago, we needed to add another power to the Erinyes Devil, and I suggested that perhaps these Divine-hating ladies should banish any of your boons with the Divine trait. And now they do. Oops. #sorrynotsorry. I am sorry that I just used #sorrynotsorry, though. Anyway, watch out for the Erinyes Devils. Hopefully, you can fight them without needing help from your friends. By the way, if I was in your party, I probably wouldn't help you. Those are my blessings, and I worked hard to get them, and I'm not gonna banish them just cause you bumped into an Erinyes Devil. This game is more cooperative for some than it is for others. Anyway, smash the devil, and send her away forever.

I read that to my wife and she said "Well, that's stupid."

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh0p?Shiver-Me-Timbers-...

That is indeed how they work. Anyone that plays a card with the Divine trait banishes that card.

Erinyes Devil for reference.

This FAQ makes that clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Well, darn it all!

And that power on the Erinyes Devils is just plain stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Xlyce wrote:
I thought I would pipe up with "We have played it 8 times so far and lost it all 8."

Well we are 0-11 now, and we just moved on.

I wonder if the strategy was to convince people to not play anymore because that is where I am at, and since I buy the games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was certainly discouraging for us. As someone who has defeated him before, I can say that if you hop on one foot while rolling you dice, you get infinite rerolls. Torch passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
We just went to the next scenario.

It was weird, there were 11 pieces of armour left by the end of the 5th adventure, because all the elite and basic stuff had been stripped out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did the math on that myself. If you played with too many people, you could have too few pieces of armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Except I am the only one with heavy armour, so I have 2 fortified breastplates. I had the shell armour as well, but banished it closing the location against Barnabas, and since it is elite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.