Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this belongs in the Recommendations or the General forum (Admin: feel free to move it if you wish), but I was wondering why there doesn't seem to be many music themed games?

I feel like this is a theme that should have a few solid games at least.

1. Does anyone know of music themed games and are they good?

2. How do you imagine a music themed game could work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
I'm not sure if this belongs in the Recommendations or the General forum (Admin: feel free to move it if you wish), but I was wondering why there doesn't seem to be many music themed games?

I feel like this is a theme that should have a few solid games at least.

1. Does anyone know of music themed games and are they good?

2. How do you imagine a music themed game could work?
Perhaps Guitar Hero: The Board Game, or Rock Band: The Card Game, if they existed?

The only ones I can think up of are ones from trivia, which may have an audio component, like from the Scene It! series.

Otherwise, board gaming was never really about music, which is one thing I do miss being a video gamer, and why I also still do vg-ing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I'm aware of is Timeline: Music & Cinema. I'm sure there are others, but it would be a really interesting space to explore for a designer, to use music or sound as a conceptual driver for mechanics. Maybe something with an iOS app, to make it accessible for people without musical ability.

But it reminds me of the Elvis Costello quote... "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." I'm sure there's a way to marry a board game mechanic with some sort of audio component, but it might be tough to do in a way that works naturally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about hitting the nail.on the head ! So true, Jerry !If I were a game designer, I'd design games about .....

1. New Orleans Jazz
2. Guitarist greats, Duanne Eddy to Johnny Marr via the genius of David Kosoff ( Free)
3. World music.
4. The best and worst rock / pop lyrics.

My goodness, you have really got me thinking, so many possible game themes !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Read's Pop Quiz Game is better than you'd expect. It's not a bad little trivia/roll and move game. And most of the questions are along the lines of "name five artists beginning with G" so it doesn't date too badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest ranked music-themed game is Opera at #1482, but that's classical music and I don't know if you have a preference for style. I'd love to see more music themed games, and I like the idea of accompanying apps to help with accessibility - boards games are a visual medium, so adding an audio component would be a nice change of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harmonix did tease one (as an April fools anyway )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While Elvis Costello may have perpetuated the bon mot about "dancing about architecture," he is certainly not its originator. A quick google reveals that it has been attributed to Laurie Anderson and Martin Mull as well as to Costello. But when I first heard it around 1974, it was attributed to someone (whose name is eluding me) from much earlier -- Liszt or Debussy or someone in that range.

Just FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing the maracas counts as music, Igloo Pop has a music based mechanic, although not a musical theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A long time ago I owned the game Takt Voll. I don't have it anymore, probably because it wasn't a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imtiaz
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Music themed? Pffft!

Real gamers play singing games.

Hossa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people I know who love to sing likeEncore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Grasser
United States
Medley
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Show Manager also would fit the description. Not a bad game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Noteability when I was (a lot) younger, although that's music themed AND mechanics. Maybe it's one of those things that it's hard to envisage without having music based mechanics as well?

I think I'd enjoy a rock band game where you each have a band member or an agent as your character and have to manage a band, it's equipment and competing for tour dates and facing off at festivals/band battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
While Elvis Costello may have perpetuated the bon mot about "dancing about architecture," he is certainly not its originator. A quick google reveals that it has been attributed to Laurie Anderson and Martin Mull as well as to Costello. But when I first heard it around 1974, it was attributed to someone (whose name is eluding me) from much earlier -- Liszt or Debussy or someone in that range.

Just FYI.

Yeah, I should've done a more thorough Google sourcing, but the first link I saw credited him. Mea culpa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I loved Noteability when I was (a lot) younger, although that's music themed AND mechanics. Maybe it's one of those things that it's hard to envisage without having music based mechanics as well?

I think I'd enjoy a rock band game where you each have a band member or an agent as your character and have to manage a band, it's equipment and competing for tour dates and facing off at festivals/band battles.

Rockband Manager?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
massimo zeppetelli
United Kingdom
London
Hackney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schwastl wrote:
The only one I'm aware of is Timeline: Music & Cinema. I'm sure there are others, but it would be a really interesting space to explore for a designer, to use music or sound as a conceptual driver for mechanics. Maybe something with an iOS app, to make it accessible for people without musical ability.

But it reminds me of the Elvis Costello quote... "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." I'm sure there's a way to marry a board game mechanic with some sort of audio component, but it might be tough to do in a way that works naturally.

Second Timeline. Great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
I actually have a music themed project

it's pretty easy, main mechanic is: you have note cards in your hand, and u keep playing them on a central pile 'think uno', but the note you play may affect your next note, scoring more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working for an orchestra that wants a game themed around the orchestra, I keep a blog about it here or you can look at the BGG aggregatior for all of my design blogs here.

I think that you'd really have liked one of the projects that I've sadly abandoned, in which the game is played using a piece of sheet music for the board and your moves are limited by which notes appear on the stave. Alas it didn't playtest well so the one that's actually being brought to market is a traitor game, we're looking at launching a KS late this year (Novemberish) and I could throw together a PnP demo or similar if it sounds like the sort of thing that'd interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
I'm working for an orchestra that wants a game themed around the orchestra, I keep a blog about it here or you can look at the BGG aggregatior for all of my design blogs here.

I think that you'd really have liked one of the projects that I've sadly abandoned, in which the game is played using a piece of sheet music for the board and your moves are limited by which notes appear on the stave. Alas it didn't playtest well so the one that's actually being brought to market is a traitor game, we're looking at launching a KS late this year (Novemberish) and I could throw together a PnP demo or similar if it sounds like the sort of thing that'd interest you.

That does sound exactly what came to mind when I thought of this question.

Something relating to competing to create the "best" musical piece where points are awarded in a certain way (I'll let the musicians and game designers figure that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

Something relating to competing to create the "best" musical piece where points are awarded in a certain way (I'll let the musicians and game designers figure that one out.

Good scoring systems for the 'best' music are notoriously difficult. I used to work in an AI lab and there were people there looking at ways to tell good music from bad to let an evolutionary AI develop skill as a composer.

The game that I'm working on now takes a different approach: Someone is playing badly and ruining the performance of the orchestra as a whole. The manager wants to kick them out, but doesn't know who it is. Players try to find out information about each other and argue the manager around to their point of view. A game ends when the manager ejects someone and everyone wins or loses based on the identity of the person who left (While most people want the self described artiste to leave some players have objectives at tangents to the original). So it's theming is based on music and the objectives and powers of the roles are related to the instruments (and common conceptions of the people who play them) but there's not a music theme per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retheme Dream Factory and make it about putting bands together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
dukane wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

Good scoring systems for the 'best' music are notoriously difficult. I used to work in an AI lab and there were people there looking at ways to tell good music from bad to let an evolutionary AI develop skill as a composer.

The game that I'm working on now takes a different approach: Someone is playing badly and ruining the performance of the orchestra as a whole. The manager wants to kick them out, but doesn't know who it is. Players try to find out information about each other and argue the manager around to their point of view. A game ends when the manager ejects someone and everyone wins or loses based on the identity of the person who left (While most people want the self described artiste to leave some players have objectives at tangents to the original). So it's theming is based on music and the objectives and powers of the roles are related to the instruments (and common conceptions of the people who play them) but there's not a music theme per se.

A music themed game doesn't (in my opinion) have to have audible music in it. Your game sounds like a perfect match, and interesting too!

As far as "best" music, I was thinking more along the lines of like a set collection of notes in a certain key, or collecting notes to fit a time, maybe each player plays different instruments and they have to coordinate (secretly?) to play notes that would fit together. That way it's not as subjective, and it might work as a teaching tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
A music themed game doesn't (in my opinion) have to have audible music in it. Your game sounds like a perfect match, and interesting too!

As far as "best" music, I was thinking more along the lines of like a set collection of notes in a certain key, or collecting notes to fit a time, maybe each player plays different instruments and they have to coordinate (secretly?) to play notes that would fit together. That way it's not as subjective, and it might work as a teaching tool.

Glad it sounds interesting Gimme a shout if you'd ever like to PnP a playtest copy

Ooh, I like the idea of secret coordination. It might win the award for oddest retheme imaginable, but I think Consentacle is supposed to have a really good "play cards cooperatively simultaneously" mechanic that could be re-themed for this.

I'd be careful of teaching tools though. I had one prototype in which players played cards based on the music on the stave and they had a devil of a time trying to work out if a particular note was a "C" or not. Just having an image of what the note looks like on the stave on the card alongside the letter turned out not to be enough - a teaching game would have to be very good at the teaching part not to play haltingly as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pastor
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could definitely see some sort of worker placement game like Drum Roll be rethemed or reimagined to be about a band preparing for gigs, and each gig gets bigger as your band gets bigger, requiring you to do more for each show? Perhaps each color resource could be hours spent practicing each instrument, and you could hire different band members who each have different perks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.