Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just got this second hand off a friend and was wondering whether, like other LCG games, this one requires two (or more) copies of the base game and/or any expansions for maximum deck building possibilities? Or is 1 core game and/or 1 copy per expansion really all you can use?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy D
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
For expansions I believe you only need 1 of each because each card comes in multiples of 3. But as for base games you may need more than one core set since there are some cards that only have 1 copy of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want maximum options, you want multiple sets.

Though honestly, it becomes less and less of an issue as you get more expansions.

If you also want to play 3 or 4-player, then buying at least one more set is a good choice for you. That way you get more threat trackers and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very happy with just one core set and a single copy of the expansions, for which there is no reason to get multiple sets of (unless you really want to have multiple similar decks built simultaneously, or in the case of bigger box expansions you want every encounter deck built all the time). I know of at least one person who has multiple copies of everything (including something like 12 core sets!) Which leaves lots of duplication that was never intended by the designers.

SHORT ANSWER You'll get all manner of responses, but most will agree that the only thing to buy multiple copies of is the core set (if that).

The 3rd copy of the core is really unnecessary given the size of the current card pool, and even the second is somewhat dubious, if you are only ever going to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1 core set for 1-2 players
2 core sets for 3-4 players

Don't bother getting more for now. Just buy more expansions to expand your playercardpool that way. Not only do you get no redundant cards that way, you'll have plenty of new quests to enjoy.

This game is not a competitive game, so you'll live without 3 copies of all the core set cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*if* you get the expansions, you only need one core set.

If your one of those coo-coo completionists, you'll need three core sets. (I personally have 2, but that was on accident, and I would have never bought a 2nd core).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strictly speaking, for 'maximum playability,' yes, you need three cores. there are a few cards that are only 2-of and a few others only 1-of.

however, i would argue strongly that you can play up to 4 players out of the box with one core set (just have everyone play one of the four spheres + 1 Gandalf each)

you will only have 2 threat trackers, but the other two players' threats can be tracked by pencil & paper or a pair of d10 dice

you also won't be playing legal 'tournament' decks, but the rules explicitly encourage you to play the premade decks anyway, as it's a bit easier, so i wouldn't worry too much about that until after you've got a few plays under your belt.

so, up to 4 players starting off, just one core should be enough. eventually you may want multiple cores, but i would hold off until you're familiar enough with the game that you can make that decision on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with the thread consensus that you only need 1 core set.

The game feels balanced with the cards available in a single core set, and adding multiple copies of powerful cards such as Unexpected Courage might make some quests a little easier than they should be (Escape from Dol Guldur excepted!)

I recommend that you spend your money on adventure packs and expansions before you buy multiple core sets. The new player cards will open up many more gameplay possibilities than a second or third core would.

If you really want multiple copies of the missing cards, I don't think anyone will hold it against you if you choose to proxy them (use another card as a substitute for the missing card).

Enjoy the game, it really is wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom spinks
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all the cards i needed to have 3 of all the core set cards on ebay for 8 bucks they are there all the time dont buy 3 core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies guys. Very useful and encouraging! 1 core set it is.

Many thanks all.

Pedro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay is the cheap way to get the 3rd and 4th player threat counters plus extra quest, resource, and wound tokens.

It's also a cheap place to get your two of a kind cards rounded up to a full three of a kind.

It's a bit more expensive (but cheaper than buying a third core set) place to find extras of the one of a kind cards to round up your set to a full three of a kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb

I have three, but I never really planned to get three nor did I have any great desire to obtain that many. I ended up with three because I purchased lot sales that included Core Sets.

My second Core Set came with the Mirkwood Cycle. The third came with the two Hobbit expansions and some Gen-Con and nightmare decks which I did not have. There was really no downside to me buying the lot, because the price was still cheaper than the full retail cost of only the sets I needed. [e.g. I paid $50 to get the two Hobbit expansions, the other decks and the Core Set] I realize the cost may have even been cheaper had the Core Set NOT been included, but the vendor was only selling as a lot.

Having three Core Sets, I'm glad I do. I have tons of tokens, threat trackers and extra copies of cards I want. For instance, we can play with two decks that each have three copies of Hasty Stroke. Or, I can more likely leave other decks lying around without having to tear them apart to use cards that I need.

For example, I have paired decks of Noldor and Rangers(Elladan, Elrohir, Idraen, Beravor, Gladriel and Haldir) that use certain cards that are also in my other decks.

Another benefit is that I have tons of cards to make proxies with. (i.e. I print off a copy of a card I don't have, insert into a sleeve with the card from the Core Set and you can't tell by looking at the back that it is a proxy). For example, I don't have the Lost Realm/Angmar Awakened yet, but I am about to use a couple cards from that cycle. Also, if I want to print off custom cards, the same process will work.

There are benefits of having multiple Core Sets. That said, having multiple Cores is definitely not necessary, or even desirable, unless the above benefits are of great importance to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate and found some spare cards on ebay that someone was selling after buying a second core set, so I have a 3rd copy of each of the cards that have 2 in the base set. Didn't help with the cards that only have 1 copy though.

It's really annoying that there aren't 3 copies of each card in the core set. There's a few cards that most people really want to use 3 of and it's frustrating to not have them.

Short answer - ideally yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.