Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Imagine a game that starts by randomly selecting 10 "Achievement" cards from a larger pool, sort of like setting up Dominion's decks.

The Achievements have lots of diverse or unique requirements for accomplishing them. Accomplishing an Achievement doesn't block other players from achieving it later as well. The winner is the first player to accomplish any 5 Achievements of their choice.

Is there such a game among Eurogames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
btw Innovation is one I've thought of already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis sort of does this. If you're the first to get a 2-region bonus, you get more points that someone who does it later. The game ending condition is different (based on someone getting an expensive carriage), but I think this one is worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Tribune: Primus Inter Pares sort of does this. There's a set number of point-scoring goals, and once a set number of them are completed plus a specific one, the game ends. The goals are each worth a varying number of points.

Where this is a little off from your description, the goals are all on a single card, though there are something like 5-10 different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linoleumblownaparte wrote:
Imagine a game that starts by randomly selecting 10 "Achievement" cards from a larger pool... Accomplishing an Achievement doesn't block other players from achieving it later as well. The winner is the first player to accomplish any 5 Achievements of their choice.

Oh, I've played this!

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).

Edit: More seriously, Kingdom Builder. TI3 is more literally what you asked for, but Kingdom Builder is a quicker euro. There are 3 objectives, and everyone competes to complete each objective the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Palaces of Carrara comes close to meeting your criteria. Each game has both achievements and scoring criteria (one card each from four decks); the game ends when a person has gotten all the achievements, and then the winner is determined by the scoring rules-- but you'll see when you play it, the person who triggers the endgame (by claiming achievements) is probably going to win, because other people won't have the chance to follow through on their plans.

You can play it on BoardGameArena and see if it's worth the expense of importing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Emergence Event does this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen K
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it doesn´t have a random setup but To Court the King might be a game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Voke
England
Knutsford
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep springs to mind.

I might be way off but it has random "Achievement cards" that a drawn from a main pool or deck, players can select to complete these. It's worker placement so has a Euro feel.

It's rounds and points rather than racing first to X achievements though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudde wrote:
Well it doesn´t have a random setup but To Court the King might be a game for you.

Its successor, Favor of the Pharaoh, has a random setup, and will also be available for a more reasonable price than To Court The King, which is OOP. (On the other hand, it's not out yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the recommendations, I was thinking of designing a game like this and looking for past examples. Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is definitely one.

I scanned the lower ratings for any criticism of this system and came up with this list:

1. Some achievements (Objectives) are secretly dealt out to players and it's a crapshoot whether you get an easy or hard one.

2. Players don't know what public Objectives are in the game until they're revealed, so planning to complete long term Objectives is difficult.

3. Among the public Objectives, some are so easy that everyone gets them (meaning no difference in score).

4. The Objectives direct the flow of play / it's easy to take lots of actions that don't add up to an Objective. For example you can have a large fleet and dominate everyone militarily but this doesn't mean you win any Objectives.

For anyone who's played TI3, are these fair criticisms? Are there other games that tackle the Objective/Achievement system in different ways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linoleumblownaparte wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, I was thinking of designing a game like this and looking for past examples. Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is definitely one.

I scanned the lower ratings for any criticism of this system and came up with this list:

1. Some achievements (Objectives) are secretly dealt out to players and it's a crapshoot whether you get an easy or hard one.

2. Players don't know what public Objectives are in the game until they're revealed, so planning to complete long term Objectives is difficult.

3. Among the public Objectives, some are so easy that everyone gets them (meaning no difference in score).

4. The Objectives direct the flow of play / it's easy to take lots of actions that don't add up to an Objective. For example you can have a large fleet and dominate everyone militarily but this doesn't mean you win any Objectives.

For anyone who's played TI3, are these fair criticisms? Are there other games that tackle the Objective/Achievement system in different ways?

1)I actually really like the way TI3 does this. Only 1 secret objective adds variety, but not so much as to be tremendously important.

2) We play with the variant where all are revealed at the beginning. I prefer allowing people to strategize.

3) Eh, if they're so easy that everyone gets them, why include them?

4) This is true, and why I won my last game. Others were building up fleets and fighting battles that couldn't gain them points. I only did actions if I thought it would lead to a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.