Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, there are a lot of similarities between the two. Is anyone aware of any comparison and contrast that may have been written on Jackson and Rommel?

No arguing, please, it's not to glorify or to cast doubt on either, just a curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm surprised you find them similar. Short of the obvious, rank, profession, etc., what brings the two together for you?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they both died during the war and it wasn't because of enemy fire?

Don't see that much similarity either. Both where brilliant agressive commanders but that can be said about a lot of people when you look at history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know about comparing him to Jackson but this book postulates an interesting relationship between Rommel and Nathan Bedford Forrest.

http://www.amazon.com/Rommel-Rebel-Paperback-October-1992/dp...

I read it years ago and thought it was a good light read. It presupposes that the reader is both a military history lover and also a sci-fi/fantasy nerd.

And check out that cover!! Can you imagine the duel hub bub that thing would cause today in our PC world?!

(sorry that I'm too dumb to know how to post a proper link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an apt comparison. Both were operational geniuses and keen on rapid maneuve in the face of a larger, but plodding foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
It is an apt comparison. Both were operational geniuses and keen on rapid manoeuvre in the face of a larger, but plodding foe.

I guess to a degree this is inevitable. If you are more mobile then you will use this mobility to gain advantage. The very same British, who presumably are the plodding foe of you Rommel example, were the same force that used manoeuvre with spectacular results against the Italians (that years plodding foe) immediately previous to Rommel's appearance.

Whilst I'm an admirer of both Generals, I would contend the terms are relative - one mans plodding foe is another mans agile enemy, and thus Jackson & Rommel made use of their relative advantage given the prevailing circumstances. Maybe if the roles were reversed the approach would have been different.

Regards
Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get some more time (at work right now) I'll post more, and probably come across clearer but..

Both were known for moving troops quicker than expected

They had similar command styles, often directly commanding troops instead of letting their subordinates command their own units

They were both disliked by their subordinates (for that and other reasons)

Both operated independently, for the most part, away from the shadow of the overall command

Both felt they were doing what was right and fighting for good men (until the end, Rommel never doubted Hitler for a moment, even when seeing things that would make anyone question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Both felt they were doing what was right and fighting for good men (until the end, Rommel never doubted Hitler for a moment, even when seeing things that would make anyone question)

By "the end" do you mean 1944, or when he was forced to commit suicide for suspected involvement in the 20 July plot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
MilesF wrote:

By "the end" do you mean 1944, or when he was forced to commit suicide for suspected involvement in the 20 July plot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading up on the Loring issue last night actually, but one incident doesn't change the overall style of the two. Your last paragraph has nothing to do with anything I've said and I haven't in any way implied those things. And as noted in the original post, not looking for arguments, was asking if anyone was aware of a compare/contrast that may have been written about the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rommel was the better tactician of the two. Jackson was excellent at getting his forces to move for him, but had trouble with the tactical arts. I also believe that Rommel was equally good at getting his men moving. I think Rommel had trouble logistically. In Rommel's case he can thank both the RN and Dolphy boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rommel was definitely more innovative. He is still used as the example of the tactician-general. Stonewall was more strategic in his mindset and really more influential in his own army's structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.