8 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Dip painting mini's for Arcadia Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Howden
Australia
flag msg tools
Has anyone dip painted their minis with Minwax? I have been considering doing this however I am concerned that they will look to dark/dirty. I feel that a brighter look would be more suited to the style of these minis. If anyone has photos that'd be great.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just prime them white (except metal, prime them black) then your colors should be bright still. Dipping looks decent if you take the time to do it right, plus it's quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because this is as good a place as any, what is actually entailed in dip-painting? I can only picture just completely painting a mini one colour and I can't imaging why that would be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Because this is as good a place as any, what is actually entailed in dip-painting? I can only picture just completely painting a mini one colour and I can't imaging why that would be desired.

It's just dipping a mini with a simple paint job in a tinted varnish, so it gets shading. Quick newbie way to get a "good enough" finish.

Planning on having a bash myself with my mini's but it's still kinda terrifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dipped mine (well I brush on the varnish because I feel dipping them makes them too brown). After the dip I spray some dullcoat on them because they're quite shiny with the varnish

Here's how they turned out, I think they look nice.

I just finished the expansion monsters this past weekend. I was a bit worried since a lot of them are skeletons and the dip + white usually makes a dingy brown color but it ended up looking great. Kind of like a skeleton you might run into in a crypt. Just make sure you don't put too much dip on and you're set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
I dipped mine (well I brush on the varnish because I feel dipping them makes them too brown). After the dip I spray some dullcoat on them because they're quite shiny with the varnish

I just finished the expansion monsters this past weekend. I was a bit worried since a lot of them are skeletons and the dip + white usually makes a dingy brown color but it ended up looking great. Kind of like a skeleton you might run into in a crypt. Just make sure you don't put too much dip on and you're set.
I like these. Hope it doesn't sound like an insult, but they do look like they're done to a quality I think I can achieve, and would also be please with. All the others I've seen look out of reach for my non-skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:

I like these. Hope it doesn't sound like an insult, but they do look like they're done to a quality I think I can achieve, and would also be please with. All the others I've seen look out of reach for my non-skills.

haha no insult taken. I understand they're tabletop quality and nothing more This was only my second attempt at painting and all I do is paint the colors and then dip + dullcoat. ANYONE can do it

For the amount of work and skill required it really adds a lot to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
You should consider cutting your teeth on these miniatures and painting them. They really are a joy to paint because their features are so large and pronounced. Great practice and you'll end up with something really awesome looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.