Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Solomon's Temple is a board game for Christians. It seems to be pretty historically accurate, but this does not translate into a good game. Or even a game. We get a mad race to draw cards and get the useless cards out of your hand so you can build. If your opponent draws random cards better than you, then you will lose. Yes, the main talent you need in this game is to draw random cards better than your opponent.

The components are shoddy at best. Everything is subpar in this box, including the box. I fully understand this is likely a low budget game and someone was trying to make a little small game so Christians would be able to play something based on their beliefs. I just wish more attention had been taken to putting a good game in the box. With so many good mechanics floating around, it just seems something better could have been used.

Here is an example. If you randomly get an alter and a priest out on the board, then you can play a random burnt offering which will prevent a Sin card from being played on you (which they randomly got). Gulp. Sigh. That's a lot of random.

The game is without choices. You need to draw cards as quickly as possible to get the cards you need to build. This means you will play every military card you can and get cards out of your hand so you can draw back up to 8 at the start of your turn. This creates a situation where the game is playing you and you don't really make any meaningful decisions, although at first you think you are.

A shoddy game with shoddy components does not leave the players very much to work with. The board is huge and takes up a lot of table space also. This is a wretched affiar. Keep walking past.

Purge.

Components:

Wood/plastic: The armies are standups that are built into the stands. They are pretty generic. You also get 6 sided dice with stickers on them. Everything screams cheap.

Cards: The cards are very low quality with pointy corners. The card backs are slightly different, but the two decks hold the same exact cards.

Art: The art is drab. The colors are bland and blah. Lots of browns and light greens here. The art is very generic and was obviously done on the cheap.

Board: You get two big boards (one for each player) that really just holds cards. Sure the armies move a tad, but the boards are really over done. They are good quality, despite not having much color.

Type of money/vp: N/A

Final Grade: The components are shoddy, but I don't want to be too hard as this is a low budget independent game for sure. It is better than some independent games, but you won't be impressed.

Rule Book:

Color/B/W: B/W

Pictures of components: No

Picture of game set up: No

Pictures included: No

Example of playing the game: No

How long to read the book: 10 Minutes

Player Aid: No

The rules are pretty simple, although the rule book isn't well written. The last couple of pages are just explanations of the cards. I was able to figure out the rules with a single reading, but it wasn't an easy approach. The couple of pictures included were helpful, but I wish more examples and pictures would have helped with the military fighting.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is to be the first to build the temple.

How it plays:

Players will take turns playing cards in order to fight with their opponent and attempt to build the temple.

A turn:

1. Draw up to 8 cards

2. You may play any Priest, Altar, Levite, Pray, Prophet, King cards as you wish. These will help you be able to play other cards later and/or give you powers. This is just random draw as to if you have any of these cards.

3. Military

A. Roll a dice to see if the people obey the Prophet or not (this will tell you if you can attack or not).
B. Play army cards (this will move them around the other players board hopefully undoing their work)
C. Destruction Card - This can get rid of temples, buildings, and/or Prophets

4. Discard - You can discard up to 2 cards

* The hope is you draw the building cards in the order that you need them. You need to get these on the board as quickly as possible. If you get the cards you need, you will do well.

** The game is broken where you can get the cards in a terrible order where you cannot possibly win. At this point, the game allows you to just discard your hand and shuffle the cards and draw 8. This rule is only used because otherwise the game is broken and it might not work if the cards are drawn in a certain order.

Should I buy this game?:

I got this game hoping that I would get a decent Christian themed board game. Instead, I got what is lacking to be called a game. I see what they were going for here, but some mechanics thrown into the game would not have been a bad idea. I would recommend this to families looking for a Bible themed board game. Nothing more here.

Purge.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Terry

Crystal
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! At first I thought you were talking about Phillip Duberry's game. Yeah, this sounds pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
I got this game hoping that I would get a decent Christian themed board game. Instead, I got what is lacking to be called a game. I see what they were going for here, but some mechanics thrown into the game would not have been a bad idea. I would recommend this to families looking for a Bible themed board game. Nothing more here.

Pity. Fortunately there is another game that brings us to the Bible times of Solomon, but combines well-themed Biblical fidelity with the excellence of Caylus-style worker placement, and is outstanding on the level of both theme and game-play:

Kingdom of Solomon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Pity. Fortunately there is another game that brings us to the Bible times of Solomon, but combines well-themed Biblical fidelity with the excellence of Caylus-style worker placement, and is outstanding on the level of both theme and game-play:

Kingdom of Solomon

I'll have to try this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.