Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McClay
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Two rule questions:

1. In the event that you have used all the dice in the cup (or don't have 2 to roll while on the school bus), do you document how many brains there are and dump all dice except shotguns into the cup and roll 2 new dice + school bus?

2. Can you choose to exit the bus if you roll two brains and a shotgun, OR can you only leave the bus to chase runners? The latter makes sense to me since a zombie might only leave if they are coherent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Koester
United States
Cornelius
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. As far as I am aware, if you run out of dice in the cup, your turn is over.

2. You can get off the bus at any time you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dino Hunt Dice your turn ends when there aren't enough dice to roll three, but in ZD the rules say...

Quote:
Brrrains?
If you don’t have three dice left in the cup, make a note of how many Brains you have and put them all in the cup (keep the Shotguns in front of you). Then continue.

You can jump off the bus any time to chase runners, see the back of the rules page.

BTW you can download PDFs of all the SJ Games rules from their web page so that they're always handy on your mobile whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
It's definitely handy having those rules. The original game has the rule for when you run out of dice which led me to be curious if it carries over.

The second question stems from the rule sheet only saying you can leave to chase runners. So that is a interesting bit of text.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can also end your turn, that would be leaving and not chasing the runners. But if you have a red runner, or two red runners, you can't get off the bus and *not* chase them. Interesting choice.

I think the school bus is a brilliant expansion. Generally in ZD you have to stop/continue choice, but with the bus you have a third choice, often a toughie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
Buffalo and Syracuse (long story)
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe (and I could be wrong), that you mark on a sheet your brains and your shotguns and put all the dice back in the cup (maybe except any runners). Then you continue.

-Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_meadowbrook wrote:
2. Can you choose to exit the bus if you roll two brains and a shotgun, OR can you only leave the bus to chase runners?

From the rules:
Quote:
Getting Off the School Bus
You can always jump off the bus to chase runners.
The Stop Sign ends your turn.
The tread marks (Run Over symbol) mean you fell under the bus. You lose a Brain, and you can't get back on the bus for the rest of this turn.
You may choose to end your turn after any School Bus roll.

While the rules regarding the Stop Sign, the Run Over symbol, and ending your turn are clear and concise, the main question remains: What exactly are "Runners?" The rules mention Runners here, and not Footprints, or Feet, while failing to give us a definition of what exactly a Runner is. Note that the rules mention rolling Feet (not Runners) in the paragraphs directly preceding the quoted passage above.

My interpretation is that "Runners" are Humans on the street that you would be chasing. This is in contrast to "Riders" or whatever you want to call the Humans on the School Bus, and the Feet which refer to the Footprint facing on the dice themselves. So I would read the rules as "You can always jump off the bus to chase runners Humans on the street."

I have always played it that you can jump off the bus anytime you like, for whatever reason. In a simple game such as this, it's just simpler that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philibin wrote:

I believe (and I could be wrong), that you mark on a sheet your brains and your shotguns and put all the dice back in the cup (maybe except any runners). Then you continue.

-Bill

Yes, is the correct rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
Jon_meadowbrook wrote:
2. Can you choose to exit the bus if you roll two brains and a shotgun, OR can you only leave the bus to chase runners?

From the rules:
Quote:
Getting Off the School Bus
You can always jump off the bus to chase runners.
The Stop Sign ends your turn.
The tread marks (Run Over symbol) mean you fell under the bus. You lose a Brain, and you can't get back on the bus for the rest of this turn.
You may choose to end your turn after any School Bus roll.

While the rules regarding the Stop Sign, the Run Over symbol, and ending your turn are clear and concise, the main question remains: What exactly are "Runners?" The rules mention Runners here, and not Footprints, or Feet, while failing to give us a definition of what exactly a Runner is. Note that the rules mention rolling Feet (not Runners) in the paragraphs directly preceding the quoted passage above.

My interpretation is that "Runners" are Humans on the street that you would be chasing. This is in contrast to "Riders" or whatever you want to call the Humans on the School Bus, and the Feet which refer to the Footprint facing on the dice themselves. So I would read the rules as "You can always jump off the bus to chase runners Humans on the street."

I have always played it that you can jump off the bus anytime you like, for whatever reason. In a simple game such as this, it's just simpler that way.

Upon re-reading this, I see that I wasn't very clear. This is what I meant:

My interpretation is that "Runners" are the Human Victims, i.e. the two dice that accompany the School Bus die, regardless of facing.

ZD1 Rules wrote:
On your turn, shake the cup, take three dice from it without looking, and roll them. Each one is a human victim.

Similarly, what I call "Riders" means the School Bus die itself, regardless of facing. This is in contrast to the word "Feet" which refers to the Footprints facing of the dice (not the dice themselves).

Interesting to note that the word "Runners" doesn't appear in the ZD1 or ZD2 rules. It only appears in the ZD3 rules and only once, in the passage I quoted in my previous post. Also note that in the graphic showing the die facings on the right side of each of the printed rules pages, the word "Footprints" from ZD1 and ZD2 was changed to "Feet" in the ZD3 rules.

I would be interested to see if others interpret this the same way as I do.

[EDIT:] So as not to hijack this thread, I moved my question about Runners to another thread here:

Runners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do over! blush It turns out I was incorrect on my interpretation of "Runners." After reading through the Forums and the Zombie Dice FAQ on the Steve Jackson Games website, I found the answers I was seeking. So let me correctly answer both questions now...

Jon_meadowbrook wrote:
1. In the event that you have used all the dice in the cup (or don't have 2 to roll while on the school bus), do you document how many brains there are and dump all dice except shotguns into the cup and roll 2 new dice + school bus?
If there are two or fewer dice left in the cup, regardless of the number of footprints on the table in front of you, make a note of the number of brains and put them back in the cup. Keep all shotguns and footprints in front of you. Then continue your turn. This was the official answer given in the SJ Games Forums here.

Jon_meadowbrook wrote:
2. Can you choose to exit the bus if you roll two brains and a shotgun, OR can you only leave the bus to chase runners? The latter makes sense to me since a zombie might only leave if they are coherent...
The FAQ definitively refers to footprints as "Runners." The only four ways to exit the bus are to 1) chase Footprints/Feet/Runners, 2) Roll a Stop Sign, 3) Roll a Run Over, or 4) choose to end your turn and bank your brains (provided you rolled less than three shotguns). I was incorrect in thinking you could jump off the bus anytime you wanted.

Incidentally, reading the School Bus rules brought up another question whistle: What do you do with the footprints you may have rolled while trying to catch the bus? Are they lost, or do you re-roll them? Answer: Treat them as if you chased them onto the bus. I.e. on your first toss, you roll a brain, a shotgun, and footprints. In order to catch the bus, you would grab the bus die, the footprints die, and one other die from the cup and continue your turn from there. This was answered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
apthebold wrote:

2. You can get off the bus at any time you choose.

Where do you see this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.