Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only a very limited experience with Werewolf.

I am leading a large group activity made up of non-gamers. Would this work for a group of 20-24? The game listing fits this number, but I'm not sure if it will really work as some may have to sit out a long time.

Advice appreciated.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
It should work fine. You can always have the eliminated players start another small game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Thomas
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
I have only a very limited experience with Werewolf.

I am leading a large group activity made up of non-gamers. Would this work for a group of 20-24? The game listing fits this number, but I'm not sure if it will really work as some may have to sit out a long time.

Well, how well it would work would depend a lot on the type of people. If they're actors, or other creative types, then they may enjoy the roleplaying aspects of the game, where they get in to the discussion of who to lynch. If they're business types, then maybe not so much, though you could be surprised.

As for the number, and the amount of down time, that is an issue to worry about. If it only takes 1 minute for the werewolves to decide, 1 minute for a Seer to See, and then 2 minutes (a low estimate, in my opinion) to vote to lynch, then the first person out may have to wait on the order of 20 to 30 minutes before they get to do try again.

Unfortunately, I don't know of ways around that issue, though the Werewolf entry on BGG might have some suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave and Gwen Fogel
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be fine as long as A) you are well prepared and B) you keep things moving on game day.

A) you are at a disadvantage since you have limited experience. I recommend that you first prepare a nighttime script for yourself. For example, in my homemade werewolf deck I have a card that says "all go to sleep. Bodyguard only, wake up. Bodyguard, who will you protect? Bodyguard go to sleep. Werewolves ONLY wake up..." and so on. As the game starts and roles are matched to name, I like to write them down. I have a lousy memory and as things get moving I don't want to forget details.

B) During the daytime, first give the crowd a chance to nominate someone - but if there are more than a few seconds of silence, I like to pick on people "Bob, who do you think is a werewolf?" If Bob doesn't have much to say I move along "Jon, Bob is awfully quiet, who do you suspect?"

At night - and this is important - don't look (or speak toward) anyone in particular! You can sign a seer's death sentence by looking at her!!

most of all have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be somewhat hesitant because given such a large group chances are there will be some who just won't enjoy the game because it's not their thing. Plus, it's really going to suck for the first person lynched. Sure with gamers you can start some side games but with non-gamers I bet they just all stand around watching the game go on without them. Maybe you should divide into a couple of groups and play party games. Or try that Hollywood Lives game, that might be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhh I had a group of 13 or so relative non gamers we were all playing electronic Catch Phrase. Catch Phrase was dragging so I thought we could play Werewolf. I was hesitant to teach because I have never played and wasn't sure about how a normal day phase plays out.
Anyways I get through the rules smoothly and as I'm about to pass out cards, 5 people say they are going to sit out.
It was an awful feeling I don't know if this has ever happened to you in a different game but it sucks.
Now we have 7/8 barely enough to play but they aren't real into it so I just say forget it.
It was salvaged, some more people left and we had some great sessions of Liar's Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario bacchi
England
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi..had the chance to play this with a group of about 20 non gamers last new years and it went down a storm

i made sure i new the rules well and was moderator for the first few goes and we also played with no extra characters till everyone was happy with how the game worked.

was bit odd at first cos noone knew who to lynch but one guy got routinely picked cos his wife said he had a suspiciously hairy back and that seemed good enough evidence for the rest of the group after that they soon got the swing of things, swinging between actually trying to play the game well and just plain picking on people.

it was all played in a light hearted vein and good spirits and we played nonstop 3 nights in a row. and i can guarantee itll be requested next time we are all together again

NOTES
-they were all a pretty outgoing bunch up for a laugh which i think helped a lot

-early elimination wasnt a problem as it was widely agreed it was as much fun watching everyone else play and knowing who the werewolves were as actually playing the game. also with that many people if some players wanted to leave and do other stuff it didnt affect the game too much.

-alcohol was present but wasnt essential

so definitely give it a go i think you'll have a great time, hope this helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game with large groups of people, and it largely goes over well, but some people just do not like it. I would say it would DEFINITELY help to have other things to do for people who get eliminated and aren't just enthralled by watching other people play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played a lot with non-gamers and it always works fine. I find that those killed early enjoy watching everyone else struggle with who wins and loses. I'd certainly play with very few special roles - maybe just a Seer and a couple of Werewolves. It's plenty fun with just those roles.

I know of two friends who have used this as a team-building exercise at work, and it has worked great both times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Figuracion
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game with 20 non-gamers last night and it worked just fine. I was the one of the few who had played before (some had played Mafia, and I only learned the previous week). The main thing to consider is that everyone should be clear about how they can win and how their roles work.

With a group of twenty, we played with five werewolves. Later we started adding new roles and other players tried their hands at moderating. Sooner or later we'll be able to do that thing where the first victim moderates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.