Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game seems to have garnered universal praise for its scenarios, I have read various critical comments that it breaks down somewhat when playing the full campaign. For example, in the game ratings, one player states:

"I would like to know how many of the players who gave a 9 or 10 to this game played a complete campaign game. Because I agree with them, the Barbarossa scenario is a 10, it's where the game shines. But then, it becomes boring until summer 1944, where the Russian have the power to strike. In between, in our game we saw no combat for 3 years north of Orel: the Germans are happy enough to stay where they are, the Russians attack at half strength (Zhukov and Stavka were needed in the south, where most of game was played, to recover the terrain lost). South of Orel there was a slow Russian advance from Stalingrad to Kiev, with a lot of BL results and one hex retreats by the Germans. The German panzer divisions can just stack around 20 SPs in one hex, so that their counterattacks usually end in BL results against the powerful guard armies (I managed to destroy one of them cutting the retreat path but it was just a 1/3 chance): not so interesting, again."

Similarly, the mostly unanswered questions thrown up by this thread make me wonder whether this is the right eastern front game for me... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1273979/am-i-missing-somethi...

Any views on that? I am a bit on the fence at the moment on buying this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I disagree with the quoted statement, of course, but will simply note the factual error that Soviet units outside range of the required HQs in Combat Zhukov or Combat Stavka/Zhukov are not halved, but suffer a -2 drm. This limits Soviet attacks out of range, but does not end them: wherever there is a chance of inflicting a step loss or a retreat the Sovs should attack from 43 on, -2 or not.

It is certainly true that play in 43 is largely attritional, but that is the nature of the conflict when the Germans are not shackled to Hitler's strategic inspirations. Pockets can and do form, and the Germans still have punch (see the match between myself and Tim Wilcox where his Germans pulled off a surprise summer 43 offensive) but this is all preliminary to 44, when the Soviets get to play reverse Barbarossa.

For a view of how the campaign plays, check out the various AARs on the Consimworld Dark Valley folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
msg tools
I remember mud is the perfect time for the Russians to drive into the German defensive lines, mechanised lose their zones of control, the Russians can cut into previous gains and screw with the future desired spring and summer offensives? This game gives you the chance to do that. And why cant the Russians build a force in 1942 to counterattack in the winter? I've played this game solitaire into the middle of 1942. Its hard as the Russians not to strike back precipitately. I set up the 42 scenario and played it until I screwed up as the Germans in an embarrassing few short turns. There are just so many Bolsheviks. . The land is so large and there are so many of them. I think Ted is channelling Rady. But it is all good. An insight and therefore a good game. A scale that was required for gamers and historians.
I give it a plus and a bit more, lets go a bit more after that but only if you have very keen gamer mates with a lean to the great patriotic war. I think in time this game will stand alone as a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apan Arne
msg tools
Have played several campaigns that have gone into 43+ and I think the game is really balanced. It is really hard though for the germans as a competent Soviet will apply attrition throughout 42 onwards.

Also a collapse can happen VERY quickly, if a gap is formed in the axis line all hell breaks loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.