Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » General

Subject: Release model? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wondering what kind of release model they intend to follow.

Is this going to be an LCG (well, not FFG, but you get the idea) with expansions released on a consistent basis, a one-time deal like Blue Moon Legends, or something in between?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They have mentioned doing a small expansion every 3 months and 1 big expansion a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guanciale wrote:
They have mentioned doing a small expansion every 3 months and 1 big expansion a year.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm out - Netrunner is all the LCG I currently need. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that games intended to be expanded come less than complete out of the box (whether intended or otherwise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:
Guanciale wrote:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm out - Netrunner is all the LCG I currently need. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that games intended to be expanded come less than complete out of the box (whether intended or otherwise).

That is certainly true with FFG. It seems PHG really tried to make sure that wasn't the case here. Unlike FFG, they seem to provide full decks with max amount of each cards for 6 starter decks. Perhaps they could do this because the deck size is smaller (maximum 30 cards). I would liken the expansion more to Marvel Legendary than to any of FFG's LCG (and I am a fan of the LCG model, I currently have 3 of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting a few games in, I completely agree with Chris.

This is a complete game out of the box & does not feel like it needs any additional content. Although I am very excited about future expansions adding more character choices.

At this point the only reason I could see wanting to by additional core sets is if you're wanting to have 5+ players or if you want to play mirror matches (2 people playing vs with the same character).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel the same way. This base set has a lot of variety seems to play well on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:
Guanciale wrote:

Balancing two "lcgs" is a bit much too. I play Netrunner as well and getting back into Thrones 2.0. Not enough time to game as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
After getting a few games in, I completely agree with Chris.

This is a complete game out of the box & does not feel like it needs any additional content. Although I am very excited about future expansions adding more character choices.

At this point the only reason I could see wanting to by additional core sets is if you're wanting to have 5+ players or if you want to play mirror matches (2 people playing vs with the same character).

Building multiple decks would be a reason to buy multiple cores, especially once we see what the meta is like, certain cards will become staple, and having multiple sets of those cards will be beneficial to building multiple decks. Of course you don't have to use those cards, but that's my experience with these types of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really happy with how the base game was packaged. max copies of all cards out of the box (which FFG does not do) for one person trying to be competitive with one deck, you have all you need in the box, max cards and dice for anything you could ever want to build.

only reason to buy a second copy would be if you want multiple decks with the same cards or plan to support more players etc.

as far as release schedule goes they have said 1 small expansion every 3 months but these are different than FFGs small releases. with FFG you get a mixture of cards for different factions and you might only want 1 or 2 of them for your deck. the formula for a PHG small expansion is a complete playable deck, 1 phoenixborn and a full set of 30 cards for them (plus any needed conjuration cards.

I would even say if you know someone who has the base game (for the dice) you could just pick up an expansion pack you like and play with that out of the box. hopefully they will sell the dice separately as well so the core box wont even be required really. although for the serious deckbuilder you will of course want the core set for options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:
Guanciale wrote:

Uhhh yeah, I'm in all the way.

Your experience is lying to you in this case.

This is the biggest reason I'm into this game over FFGs long line of LCGs, because this is a standalone game out of the box. You don't need multiple core sets to "complete" the game, nor would buying more than one core set make any sense, since every card has the max (3) copies in it.

Unlike FFG releasing a core set with only one copy of the best card, looking at you 'Netrunner', forcing you to buy 3 sets if you want to be competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun passing judgment based on misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the hound was just looking for an excuse to dismiss the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daiden Q
msg tools
mbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I suspect the hound was just looking for an excuse to dismiss the game.

This is completely unfair, people are allowed to not like a game based on whatever criteria they want. Passive aggressive comments only drive people away from the community. This thread is a prime example of people being hostile toward people who might be interested in the game but are simply trying to find out if it's the right game for them.

Pretty unfortunate, doesn't look like the community here is the kind that most new players are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daiden wrote:
Pretty unfortunate, doesn't look like the community here is the kind that most new players are looking for.

Given that, one or two posts aside, the entire thread is full of people offering constructive opinions and counter-examples that are helping to answer exactly the question the original poster was asking (and actively trying to recruit them into playing the game, at that), it seems like overall the community is pretty welcoming to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daiden wrote:
[q="cbs42"]Pretty unfortunate, doesn't look like the community here is the kind that most new players are looking for.

It's also unfortunate when you decide what an entire community is like based on a few comments in a single thread. How is your judgment any better than anyone else's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.