Subject: Has anyone played this yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Schneider
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am considering preordering this from CSI but have seen no reviews. Has anyone played this game yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
shavool wrote:
I am considering preordering this from CSI but have seen no reviews. Has anyone played this game yet?

I haven't yet, although it's definitely high on my list of games to play. (Only had it a few days, admittedly). The rules look strong.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. I have it set up to try out the solo scenario, and I am hoping I can grab a few people at WBC to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the solo scenario - but I think I did the combat wrong (when I lost a battle against a city I didn't lose movement points or regroup - I don't quite understand what I'm supposed to do here with regards to movement points).

I started playing scenario 2 with 5, but had to pack it up. It was rolling right along (nevermind the rules issues I have before) - and I screwed up some other rules regarding taking slaves and how the barbarians work.

I like Pax Romana - so this wasn't a hard sell for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Conner
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the Babylon vs. Assyria scenario last night. Game ended up taking a little over three hours for the three turn game. Our first turn took about an hour and twenty minutes with each turn's playtime dropping after. I could see the game taking 30-45 minutes a turn with experienced players. It's also worth noting that most scenarios look like they could be modified to add or subtract turn's to accommodate playtime.

We found the rules easy to follow, and most of the information that may bog you down (retreat and regroup, chariot rules, barbarian kingdoms) is easily accessible on the player reference cards. We spent very little time searching for rules in the actual rule book.

We found the game to hit the sweet-spot between its heavier brother Pax Romana, and lighter games such as Conquest of Paradise. Our favorite features were the combat system, which has an element of luck that can be mitigated, and the card system that activates the minor kingdoms. I'm interested in Berg as a designer, so I'm partial to his designs, but I feel that Genesis is tight enough to appeal to many different game groups. If you're interested in historical, multi-player games I would give this a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a turn of a 4-player learning game last night (Scenario #3). Took a couple hours after the rules explanation. Given 16 activations a turn in a 4-player game, with a potential for a major move, two minor moves, and a recruit action in each of those 16 activations, along with potential event card effects, I find it hard to imagine a turn taking any less than hour in a 4-player game, and probably closer to 90 minutes.

The early game of scenario #3 is taken up with expansion into uncontrolled cities - lots of attacks on 2-4 fortification level cities. At that early stage, gameplay is mostly a solitaire optimization puzzle. I expect the direct conflict to ramp up on turns 3 and on.

This is a far simpler game than Pax. You don't have the fiddly coastal movement and transportation with its continuation rolls. Building and maintaining armies is nicely abstracted with the manpower limits. There's no stability level to fiddle with, or power-specific sub-systems like the kind that hobble Greece and the East in Pax. Everything has been streamlined and made more intuitive in play. I expect it will be much easier to get to the table face-to-face (though game length will still be an issue).

I'll write a proper review once I have a full game under my belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kesavan sittampalam
Singapore
Alaska
flag msg tools
We r gonna play this friday and am very excited.

Tell you all about it if I dont end up impaled.

When you have such well written rules it makes the whole startup process so much more exciting.

Can some of you closer to the GMT hierarchy feedback to them about the necessity for well writtten clearly defined rulebooks?
i.e. wargames for Dummies style

Esp when we are trying to get people into this much neglected genre.

Enough of candy-pop Euros!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Pax Romana. Glad to hear this is more streamlined. The turns in Pax can be long. Looking forward to soloing this some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Oldgeorge
Greece
Athens
Attika
flag msg tools
badge
Et tu Gidoboskus?
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the 4 player short scenario as well last night (scenario #3), it took about 5 hours to play through (including rules explanation and some debate over some tricky parts of the game). It was a rather enjoyable experience, although the scenario did seem to favor the eastern races a bit more.

I'd definately play another short/medium scenario, I really doubt I'd find the time to play the full game any time soon (or if I actually did, I'd probably play some other monster game first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.