Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks

Tides of Time uses some requirements to score.

I wonder, whether they can be translated into symbols:

The requirements are:

1) EACH (as in "each symbol scores" could just show: 3VP / symbol)

2) MAJORITY (as in "have the most symbols of ..." .. ??)

3) SET of (same as EACH but with symbols next to each other: X VP / "symbol1 symbol2 symbol3")

4) Special action: (here come the tough ones)
- Win all ties
- For each suit you DON'T have
- For majority in suits with only 1 card
- Double the amount of your most numerous suit
- If you score the highest with a single card

Sooo .. any ideas, how to translate those into symbols?

Thank you and kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iconography is always a tough one and a topic I have thought about quite some time myself. Also, if you pay attention to it (e.g. in games), there are some interesting facts about visual psychology one can infer.

1) EACH: yes, just as you said. If you use / here, use it whenever you can; graphical language should be persistent.

2) MAJORITY: I'd use a difference in size or a 'thing' count to represent that, depending on the task to visualize. An example for the second one: three little dots vs (as ':', 'vs' or '<') five little dots with the vp symbol.

3) SET: use '1 dot / 2 dots / 3 dots : 1 vp / 3 vp / 6 vp', so you can use the same iconography again.

4) - win all ties: I don't know exactly what you mean by it. If you want to say that this player wins all ties, I'd go with '2 dots vs 2 dots with vp symbol'

- suit you don't have: different colour dots, cross one out, ': vp'

- majority in suits with one card: again, not sure what you mean. If you mean that you have one card more than an opponent, that's tough and I'd have to think about it for a while. If you mean having suits with only one card brings points, paint one singular blue dot vs multiple of other colours ': vp', maybe underline the single dot, so it stands apart.

- double the amount: use x2 or 2x. Using numbers is looked down upon from media designers, but it has a much more intuitive expression than anything else I've encountered in this matter.

- scoring highest with a single card: if they have numbers, use them as pictographical comparison, if not, try using size difference.

If you mean literal suits of ordinary playing cards, you might want to use their symbols instead of coloured dots. Or any other symbol that has a good way of conveying information and is related to your game.

Without more concrete information, this is all I can come up with. Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With BGG emoticons

1) as you said: 3vp/
2) 3 > 1 = 5vp
3) caravan = 18vp (mintcamel+grapecamel+orangecamel = Xvp)

4)
- limecamellimecamel > arrrhlimecamellimecamel
- 3vp /
- 1x > arrrh
- limecamel mintcamelmintcamelx2
- 1xblank = N

Harder than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
With BGG emoticons

1) as you said: 3vp/
2) 3 > 1 = 5vp
3) caravan = 18vp (mintcamel+grapecamel+orangecamel = Xvp)

4)
- limecamellimecamel > arrrhlimecamellimecamel
- 3vp /
- 1x > arrrh
- limecamel mintcamelmintcamelx2
- 1xblank = N

Harder than I thought.

A pretty good attempt, I'd say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.