GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron» Forums » Rules

Subject: SR Jocasta - Are we playing this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hampton
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night in a session with some buddies, I was using the SR Jocasta. The card reads "The first time each turn Jocasta would be dealt damage, instead deal that damage to your opponent." We were having discussions on how to resolve the damage. When used as a blocker, if the attacker has more attack than Jocasta has defense, does she rebound all damage and then go to the KO pile or back to the field zone?

Also, if someone were to block her with multiple blockers, does it deal the full attack of both characters to the opponent?

Lastly, if there are multiple Jocasta's in the field zone, does this effect work on each die or just once per turn for the first die?

Thanks in advance for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key word here is "instead". Jocasta doesn't actually get dealt the damage; instead, it goes to your opponent. So Jocasta would not get knocked out by it.

In combat, the full attack value of the character(s) she's engaged with is dealt as damage, so all of it would go to your opponent, no matter what Jocasta's defense is.

This last part is not a certainty (i.e. Wizkids could easily rule against it), but this does not appear to be a "while active" ability, so each Jocasta in the field will trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on past rulings on Wizkids Rules Forums, when a card refers to itself it is meaning each individual die. So the card would read "The first time each turn this Jocasta die would be dealt damage..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that multiple blockers will have all the damage reflected. It is true that it is simultaneous, but there is still an order. This is reflected in assigning attackers and that one Beholder. "If this is the first assigned attacker, then..."

So we do need to know how Wizkids wants us to handle this. I have asked in the official forums. We just have to wait now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
I'm not sure that multiple blockers will have all the damage reflected. It is true that it is simultaneous, but there is still an order. This is reflected in assigning attackers and that one Beholder. "If this is the first assigned attacker, then..."

I'm with you in spirit on the whole Beholder thing. Why on earth would they use that terminology, when all attackers are supposed to be assigned simultaneously? The consensus of the mob is that this means it only happens one time no matter how many Beholder dice are attacking, so... yeah.

Combat damage is supposed to be simultaneous, however. We've had rulings to reinforce that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
crambaza wrote:

I'm with you in spirit on the whole Beholder thing. Why on earth would they use that terminology, when all attackers are supposed to be assigned simultaneously? The consensus of the mob is that this means it only happens one time no matter how many Beholder dice are attacking, so... yeah.

Combat damage is supposed to be simultaneous, however. We've had rulings to reinforce that.
But they do also say that anything simultaneous, the controlling player picks the order. So even simultaneous things have an order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hampton
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a group, we are beginners without multiple plays under our belt. Based on how we played it (returning damage to opponent, die returning to field area) are there strategies for getting around her?

There were two basic action cards that dealt damage on the board, is it as simple as picking one of those and dealing damage as quickly as possible each turn and then using abilities to assign blockers to remove her? It just seemed that, even playing with 20 life, she reflected enough damage that it ended the game very quickly. Both opponents were using Giant Man and Iron Man variations that on level 3 were hitting for 6-7 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Action Card - Distraction will move her from the Attack Zone back to the field (so whoever she is blocking/attacking against will not deal damage). Ultron Drone can capture her without dealing damage. Common Loki can ping her for one damage and remove her ability. There are a couple Global abilities that will deal her one damage, which you will take, but after that she's vulnerable for the rest of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, your main strategies against her are going to be hitting her for 1 damage before combat, and some form of removal/capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
"Based on past rulings on Wizkids Rules Forums, when a card refers to itself it is meaning each individual die. So the card would read "The first time each turn this Jocasta die would be dealt damage..."

@Paul K: Would you clarify these rulings? Based on similar wording on other cards (stating "the first time..."), this leads me to believe Jocasta's abilities are implied to be "while active". Cases in point:

Iceman - Mister Friese: The first time each turn you field another character, Iceman gains +3A (no matter how many Iceman dice you have fielded).

Ultron - New World Order: While Ultron is active, the first time you capture an opposing character each turn, Ultron deals 3 damage to an opponent.

Wererat - Lesser Lycanthrope: While active, the first time during a turn that you draw a character that has Swarm ability, draw one additional die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceman - same thing, it's self-referential (this Iceman die gets +3A). He other two explicitly use the "While Active" phrase, which (according to the rulebook), means "While one or more of these dice are on the Field - I.e. They don't stack.

They have said several times that when a card refers to itself, it means each die of that card:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2286

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1713

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hampton
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I guess we'll have to get more creative in finding ways to defend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
Thank you Paul K. for the references, and I understand your position.

It still seems a little wonky to track each Jocasta die for "first time damage" across the Main and Attack Steps as opposed to treating the trigger as a character unique effect, especially since the only other cards that use the phrase "the first time" are under "while active" conditions.

Either way this begs for an official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.