Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Rahdo. Well, not personally, but I've been following the game since he did his run through.

I know the game is recommended for two as well.

The reason I post this is two fold:

1) How has this stood up over time as a two player only experience? Worth it, or just fun for a few sessions before being shelved for ages?

2) I just like hearing directly from others instead of going off an old review impression and static text on a landing page.

Any commentaries welcome (unless they're mean, in which case I'll evaluate on a case by case basis ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is best with 2p and I think it stands up over time.

I have been through a few different stages as I played the game.

d10-1I think early on people tend to focus on what action they are going to take first (and balancing this against opponents actions) and then think about the buildings and titans second.

d10-2Then in the second stage of plays I tended to really focus on the titans.

d10-3During the the third stage of plays I started working on managing the various buildings better.

d10-4I think in the fourth wave I am trying to integrate all of the various things I learned in the first few stages although I will admit I am still working to some degree on wave three too; there are lots of buildings.

People might have different experiences (maybe a different working order than the one I describe above, that's cool I would be surprised if it wasn't different).

The short answer is: I think it rewards repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
After over a year and half, I find The Ancient World still holds up as a good two-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Putorek
United States
Mexico
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About how long does it take with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Two experienced players should be able to set-up, play, and clean-up in under an hour maybe even occasionally forty-five minutes. While learning, teaching, and "suffering" through your AP prone opponent's turns - about two hours at the extreme long end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
This is definitely not good as a two player game. (See my review)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.