GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,484 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Passanger is told to move seats because she's a woman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A former Halifax chef wants an apology from Porter Airlines, alleging she was asked to move from her seat to accommodate a man who did not want to sit beside a woman for religious reasons.

This is ridiculous. An entitled religious guy expects someone else to move because of his (stupid) beliefs? Who does he think he is?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/porter-airlines-se...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Quote:
A former Halifax chef wants an apology from Porter Airlines, alleging she was asked to move from her seat to accommodate a man who did not want to sit beside a woman for religious reasons.

This is ridiculous. An entitled religious guy expects someone else to move because of his (stupid) beliefs? Who does he think he is?

A total tosser, and he should have been told to sod off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an issue with her being "asked" to move, but would if she was "forced".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently this happens a lot on El Al with ultraorthodox Jews who go to extreme lengths not to sit with women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Always just ask, "How do you know I am a woman?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I don't have an issue with her being "asked" to move, but would if she was "forced".

In this case, it was a request, she refused, and they found another solution.

Ideally the gentleman would have approached the flight crew first instead of making demands on the other passengers. They can handle the situation with much more care and tact than the lady in the article alleges the fellow could muster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I should think the airline would try to find another seat for the weirdo, not ask the woman to move--with the exception that if they were able to move her to a better seat it would be fine if they asked if she was willing to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure, for the Flight Attendant, it was just a matter of trying to get the situation resolved as quickly and calmly as possible, so I can't blame him for that.

But yeah, the guy who made the request in the first place is an asshat. If he had a seating problem, he should have brought it up to the flight crew, not the passengers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
I'm sure, for the Flight Attendant, it was just a matter of trying to get the situation resolved as quickly and calmly as possible, so I can't blame him for that.

But yeah, the guy who made the request in the first place is an asshat. If he had a seating problem, he should have brought it up to the flight crew, not the passengers.

What if the flight crew were all women? WHAT THEN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

What if the flight crew were all women? WHAT THEN

Then Mass Hysteria, Cats and Dogs living together, Riots in the streets!!!!!!!

But seriously, we know that there was a male flight attendant. The woman in the story commented on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If only the woman was named Rosa Parks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I think SHE is the problem in this story. She didn't have to move and nobody made her. Yet she thinks she is owed an apology from the AIRLINE because somebody ELSE voluntarily moved?!?!?!?

Yes the Orthodox Jew could have handled things better and personally I would like the airlines to start having a "request" option, like they do for disabilities or special food needs, so they could attempt to handle this kind of request in advance rather than in the moment.

But sorry, getting that upset because somebody ELSE agreed to accommodate this person's beliefs is really working hard at being "offended".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, she sounds like a tool. That doesn't change the fact that the guy's "religious beliefs" are stupid, or that (as I said) the airline should have handled it better. Stick him in the back row next to the bathroom (also known as the "Cranky and Dave's flight to BGGCon seats") and leave her alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
Sorry, I think SHE is the problem in this story. She didn't have to move and nobody made her. Yet she thinks she is owed an apology from the AIRLINE because somebody ELSE voluntarily moved?!?!?!?

Yes, even though the story involves Canadians, from whom apologies flow freely, it's a much rarer occasion when an apology is demanded, especially from an innocent third party. Even if we take the story as true from her own account I find that she is being unreasonable with respect to the airline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe she's upset because they didn't mansplain the request clearly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Yeah, she sounds like a tool. That doesn't change the fact that the guy's "religious beliefs" are stupid, or that (as I said) the airline should have handled it better. Stick him in the back row next to the bathroom (also known as the "Cranky and Dave's flight to BGGCon seats") and leave her alone.

Look I would be the first to shake at the idea that ALL men should voluntarily segregate themselves from females to avoid even the chance of a lustful flutter of a thought from forming. But hey these are the same people who won't eat chicken with cream sauce because of a verse about not seething (cooking) a kid (baby goat not human) in its own mother's milk. Last time I checked Chickens don't give milk. So that they go to extremes to avoid even the possibility of accidentally crossing a line they consider to be important in every area of life is well established.

This has nothing to do with judging or devaluing women, it has to do with not trusting their own personal nature and ensuring they never even get close to being in a situation that would tempt them to do something immoral in their own minds by avoiding all temptation.

It is like a teetotaler deciding they won't set foot in a bar or go to parties with drugs and alcohol so that their resolve won't ever be undermined in a moment of weakness.

I wouldn't choose to live like that, but I have no problem with others choosing to do so if that is what they need to do for themselves.

As an extreme example just to make my point... If a man was worried that he might harbor pedophile tendencies and therefore decided to never be around children, just in case, would we judge him harshly or consider him wise?

Many men do have problems with lust out of balance in their lives, we see that all the time in society. And adultery etc is very damaging to families and society overall. So if a group of men from a certain society decide the way to best handle this problem is to voluntarily avoid physical contact with any woman not their wife or close family, I am not going to look down on them for making that lifestyle choice.

Again I think it is an extreme choice that goes beyond what is necessary... but hey marriages in that community tend to be stronger than the western society average. So apparently it works for them.

OU National Survey Results from a few years back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Quote:

well thank god it was an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man and not a Muslim, otherwise this would have somehow been her fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Apparently this happens a lot on El Al with ultraorthodox Jews who go to extreme lengths not to sit with women.

The El Al policy which as a charedi man (what the media calls ultraorthodox) I fully support is to tell the person to go stuff it and that if they wish to move and can find someone willing to switch with them they are welcome to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldnt help but notice they used the word uterus 3 times in the linked article. I wonder if it came out during the actual event. Had I been on board and overheard the conversation I'd have approached the flight attendant, "Excuse me. The gentleman can have my seat next to the pair of testicles and I'll sit next to the uterus. Oh, please inform the lady she may pump breast milk if needed without offending me as well."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:

You mean it's another RSP thread where the title is inflammatory bullshit?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Couldnt help but notice they used the word uterus 3 times in the linked article. I wonder if it came out during the actual event. Had I been on board and overheard the conversation I'd have approached the flight attendant, "Excuse me. The gentleman can have my seat next to the pair of testicles and I'll sit next to the uterus. Oh, please inform the lady she may pump breast milk if needed without offending me as well."

If the word uterus was uttered three times, shouldn't a giant uterus have appeared magically and slaughtered all the passengers on the plane?

That would, of course, explain why the guy didn't want to sit next to one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Meat wrote:

You mean it's another RSP thread where the title is inflammatory bullshit?!

You should have known that just from the misspelling in the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
She was asked if she could moves seats and she refused, and now she wants an apology? Fuck her.

Since when is it bad form to ask people if they wouldn't mind accommodating a situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
She was asked if she could moves seats and she refused, and now she wants an apology? Fuck her.

Since when is it bad form to ask people if they wouldn't mind accommodating a situation?

I want apologies for all the times that people have asked me to move so a couple could sit together or a parent could sit with a child.

I am outraged!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I want apologies for all the times that people have asked me to move so a couple could sit together or a parent could sit with a child.

I am outraged!

I always move for a child with a parent. Never for adults. Fuck you if you can't figure out how to use the "choose a seat" feature. Unless you're swapping your first class seat for mine in coach, sit where you were assigned and leave me alone. I'm not giving up my economy plus aisle/exit row seat for your girlfriend so I can sit crammed into a window seat ten rows back, and fuck you for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.