Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks,

I have this game on my radar right now.. I'm a big fan of 80's horror movies, and this just seems as cheezy and good. Checking out the rules and comments though, I just wonder about replay value. Since the game is not widely available (and would cost more for me to find and get in my hands), I'd like to make sure it's not something our group will only play a few times and then put aside because we're "used to the cards and the story".

If you have the game and have played multiple games.. how is it in terms of replay value?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game two weeks ago and have probably played it about 6-7 times, some being solo and just messing around and not played to completion. And I think there's a lot of replay value. It's kind of a sandbox system, with scenarios pre-arranged at the start. While there's only a few official ones, system lends itself to a lot of tinkering and creativity at home. And I'd imagine official scenarios will keep trickling out, since they could be created indefinitely at no cost besides the time investment...no need for printing materials and manufacturing and all that, just post them online.

Often games are fairly short, only a half hour to an hour...most often that short because you get killed...and what that means is you don't go through a ton of cards in each game. And with how many cards exist in just the base game, that's really nice. You aren't cycling through the same 20 cards each and every game. With all the games I've played, I've still yet to stumble upon a Cameo character in the Cabin deck. And most of those cards are events that create the narrative, so each game you're creating a unique experience with different story beats and flow. Playing the "exact same game" would be akin to shuffling a standard deck of cards 25 times and ending up with the same sequence as you started, statistically impossible. Sure you'll draw some of the same cards, but each game has it's own identity and feels very fresh each time, although admittedly I'm still pretty new to the game. And the other variable would be the Counselors, each has different abilities that combined with the art and their "personality" helps to really bring the "story" to life. Combinations of counselors will feel different in game from others.

And all of those aspects are just going to be improved upon greatly with the addition of each expansions. Even just more of those types of cards alone would be great, but there will also be some new mechanics and ideas in there too and that's exciting to think about.

The low point most people seem to agree upon are the finales. You have four different types of finale situations, but the "decks" only have two cards in each to draw randomly from. So after several games the endgame won't be as unpredictable and varied as the preceding part. But that too will be improved with the expansion packs, so it's not a huge knock against the game.

If it's not obvious, I really like the game and think it's a lot of fun. It's really simple to learn and a breeze to play, but at the same time theme is so well applied and immersive that nothing feels compromised by having such simple gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it twice and both games where wildly different. I think you could get 6 plays out of it before anyone knew all the stuff but like "others" have said expansions are coming so that # should go up but people cycle through games so much these days I'm lucky to get any game to the table 3 times regardless of how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Head on over to twitch.com and look for Kzilla. There you can watch the multiple games that he has run online. You can see just how different each game can be from the next. I am convinced that there is a big amount of replay abilities for me. I have yet to tire of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Microsillon wrote:
Hello folks,

I have this game on my radar right now.. I'm a big fan of 80's horror movies, and this just seems as cheezy and good. Checking out the rules and comments though, I just wonder about replay value. Since the game is not widely available (and would cost more for me to find and get in my hands), I'd like to make sure it's not something our group will only play a few times and then put aside because we're "used to the cards and the story".

If you have the game and have played multiple games.. how is it in terms of replay value?

Thanks
We've logged 16 plays since we got it and are thinking of using the survivalist guide in the files section to up the difficulty level. We also cannot wait until the expansions come out for it.

It's an "80's horror/slasher with a guy in a mask" movie in a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.