Hide
15 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Random Races? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaiah Agojo
msg tools
Is there any real reason to give randomize the races instead of letting players choose besides meta gaming? My girlfriend just purchased the game and that was one of the first rules we learned. It kind of rubbed her the wrong way that she couldn't personally choose a race, especially if she's just doing it on flavor alone as a beginner. As beginners we won't metagame and we'll probably only choose on looks and back story not ability.

But we'll do it randomly if there is a solid game mechanic that really needs our races to be random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be done by choosing. It will not change the game play. It is just there to stop any arguments if more then 1 player wants to choose the same race. This can be done by randomizing or even a draft but if everyone likes to play a different race there is not problem with letting people choose, especially beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Most people I've played with modify this in some way. One common way if you still want to reduce debate is to deal each player 3 races, and they pick one. This works better with the expansions, otherwise you may have to do it one or two at a time, but there are many ways you can choose races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Peleaz
United States
Newport news
Virginia
flag msg tools
The beautiful thing about TI3, is that its kind of a sandbox. It gives you the tools, tells you how it thinks you should play, but the final choices are left up to you. I've seen people create their own races, akin to Mass Effect and Star Trek. The galaxy choices are up to you as well, not forcing you to conform to standards. As long as everything is fair, you can play however you want. Online, I've seen people have predetermined galaxies, and bid for races and home systems. Top bidder gets their choice of race, and the low bidder gets that different in trade goods. Same for home system location. There are a great many variants out there, waiting to be explored and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz S
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Sometimes we are choosing races. I don't know why but I don't like races from both expansions. Really, i love play with expansions but only with basic ten races And my favourite race is Emirates of Hacan and Naluu <3 Maybe its stupid but i can't imagine game without Hacan, Barony Letnev, Xccha ans Jol Nar together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In our 6-player games we deal every Player 3 races.

17 races (we play with both expansions) + the Lazax (the Scenario race)

Everyone chooses a race for himself and places it on the board with the top side down, so that no one knows what other races are in play.

The player who got the lazax can announce it, and will be dealt one of the races the other players put away so that he can also choose between 3 races.

Then we build the galaxy and only when the map is finished the home planets are turned and everyone sees what the other players have picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
I think if you're going to mess with the randomisation it's more important to let people mulligan races they really don't want to play than to let them choose races they really do want to play. If you can throw one pick away, that solves the Norr problem at a stroke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought of the Norr as a problem.

We deal each player three or two and let them mulligan the whole stack for one random.

Just as an idea for a draft with experienced players let a player pick a race for themselves or pick a race to exclude from the game and go to the end of the choosing order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Leifr wrote:
I never thought of the Norr as a problem.
We deal each player three or two and let them mulligan the whole stack for one random.

If you can't be forced to take them, they aren't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McKay
United States
Needles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:

Lol, nicely put. However, would you mind telling me what it is about them that you don't like? I am fairly new to the game but when I played with them I thought they were great. I loved being able to move my space docks to mecatol rex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Leifr wrote:

Yeah, we do pick two/keep one with a mulligan of one choice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsrtlzrd32 wrote:
damerell wrote:

Lol, nicely put. However, would you mind telling me what it is about them that you don't like? I am fairly new to the game but when I played with them I thought they were great. I loved being able to move my space docks to mecatol rex.

I think you are confusing Saar with Sardakk Norr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McKay
United States
Needles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

I think you are confusing Saar with Sardakk Norr...

Oops, yep, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley A Wilkins Jr MD
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dr. Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
When I take my game to Origins and Gen Con , I deal out 2 cards to everyone, starting with the speaker. Each person secretly chooses his race and discards the other. If You don't like either of your two races you may choose one randomly from the discard pile, but you must keep this one. No more mulligans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
TL/DR: Considering the time investment this game requires, I think it's reasonable to have some say over what race you play.

I personally don't like the idea of playing a random race. There are a few races that I just do not find fun to play as. (for example, while they are good races, I find Sol, Hacan, and the Barony super boring to play)

My group tried a lot of ways to handle this, including some of those mentioned above.

Here is what we found we enjoyed the most:

All home worlds are placed face down and each player draws 2 at random.
Then all players have the option to return zero, one, or both to the pile.
Next all players draw at random to get back to having 2 to pick from and choose one of those to play.

The throwing some back, sort of like poker, just felt better. It also allowed for some strategy. Some people like to hunt for a particular race and take their chances, some people keep one as a safety pick and throw back the other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.