19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best cut throat/negotiation game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my collection, I see a genre that isn't really touched on. That would the cut throat/negotiation type game. Games like Diplomacy or I'm The Boss.

I have these two in mind, would anyone care to vouch for one or the other? Or offer up an alternative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue
As someone said, it's all the angst and friendship ending potential of Diplomacy in an hour instead of six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter and Dragon's Gold are my 2 favorite games that focus on both direct conflict and deal-making. Excellent games, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
Cosmic Encounter and Dragon's Gold are my 2 favorite games that focus on both direct conflict and deal-making. Excellent games, both.

Hmmm I forgot I bought Cosmic Encounter a while back. I guess I do own at least one game in the genre after all lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I've enjoyed Cutthroat Caverns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats
less screwage in these other two:
Genoa
Chinatown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genoa is a good negotiation game, however, I guess it is too less mean/cut throat for your request.

Diplomacy would be the classic answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scurra wrote:
Intrigue
As someone said, it's all the angst and friendship ending potential of Diplomacy in an hour instead of six.

+1. Nastiest game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kotro wrote:
Scurra wrote:
Intrigue

+1. Nastiest game ever.

Great! I want friendships ruined and tables flipped. That kind of game. But still fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Ca$h 'n Gun$ which I think is a faster game than most and quite unfriendly at times.

Tomorrow would be my suggestion though, it's a harsh one akin to the likes of Dune/Rex: Final Days of an Empire which also offers a lot of backstabbing hatred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Diplomacy or I'm the Boss, but Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is lots of fun - lots of bribery and backstabbing.

Base game plays up to 4 players, Spartacus: The Serpents and the Wolf Expansion Set expands that to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is a classic and you should really try it at least once.

+1 to Spartacus.

Have a look at Junta as well. It's got everything you want in spades and hopefully we'll be seeing a new English edition soon. (Don't bother with Junta: Viva el Presidente!. It's a streamlined rework and that comes at the cost of the freewheeling nature of the original).

If you don't mind long games, The Republic of Rome is one of my favourites of all time. Don't be fooled by the "semi-coop" designation. That adds to its vicious nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is very good, unique, and underrated. Catan: Cities & Knights can be deliciously brutal.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus is fun as a mixture of bidding, negotiation and tactics. It's very nasty indeed.

However, Cosmic Encounter is the absolute classic in the negotiation and betrayal category. Highly, highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little on the lighter side, but Survive: Escape from Atlantis! might be a good fit. If you don't mind waiting, Survive: Space Attack!, the reimagined version, seems like it will be even more chaotic and will be out later this year.

For a longer game, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Dude. Tom vassal, he's basically a legend around here for reviewing gsmes, co-designed a board game called nothing personal. The game is literally billed as being "the opposite of a coop game". It's got a mafia theme and will ruin your friendships. Everything is designed to force you to negotiate constantly. No deal is binding. You can negotiate for anything any time. It is about as heavy in negotiation as it gets. It will ruin friendships if you take it too seriously. Cannot recommend this enough. It is amazing fun. Evil. But fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/91267/fun-game-backstabbing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be the third time this week that I've recommended this game...

Lifeboat

I don't know what it is about this game that my group just adores. They say its the most cutthroat game they've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.