Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Rules

Subject: HASBRO PROVIDED Rules FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Boone
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
EDIT: For more rules solutions, see this thread.

Earlier this month I submitted several rules questions through Hasbro Customer Service via live chat. The representative that I spoke with certainly delivered on their promise to find these answers as I received answers to all of my questions in a very clear and organized manner. I received an E-mail today with the following document attached:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cRFVryTIr8eTb6EAcGUOFaFt...

The content of the document:

Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers
Consumer Care Questions and Responses

1. The Phoenix creature in the game has an ability called Rebirth that does something when the player "plays a sorcery spell" however, the blue spell Psychic Rebuttal can counter a played spell, does the Rebirth effect happen if the "played sorcery spell" is countered?

No. A spell that is countered is not considered played.

2. Can auras be attached to an army card in the army card graveyard or are they removed when the army card dies (as a result of all squad members being dead)?

Auras are attached to army cards that are in play, not in graveyards or reserves.

When all figures pictured on an army card have been destroyed, the army card is placed in your army card graveyard. When an army card is placed in your army card graveyard, any Enchantments attached to the army card are placed in their owner’s graveyard.

3. Can Rise of the Dark Realms bring back a squad creature from a dead army card (all other squad creatures on the card are dead as well)? Does the army card come back then, and with or without its old enchantments?

If a figure on an army card that is in your army card graveyard is returned to the battlefield, that army card is placed back in play.

When all figures are pictured an army card have been destroyed, the army card is placed in your army card graveyard. When an army card is placed in your army card graveyard, any Enchantments attached to the army card are placed in their owner’s graveyard.

4. Honor of the Pure, will the bonus still apply if all creatures in the enchanted squad are dead (and the army card was sent to the army card graveyard)? Or does Honor of the Pure go to the spell graveyard?

When all figures are pictured an army card have been destroyed, the army card is placed in your army card graveyard. When an army card is placed in your army card graveyard, any Enchantments attached to the army card are placed in their owner’s graveyard.

5. Exactly when can activated abilities such as Liliana's Snuff Out be activated? Anytime between action 2 and action 5 or only between actions when the army card is considered chosen?

Page 7, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under ACTION 2: CHOOSE AN ARMY CARD: You can only use activated abilities from the army card you chose. For example, you can only use Liliana’s Snuff Out ability on a turn in which you choose Liliana.

You can only use Liliana’s Snuff Out abilitity on a turn in which you choose Liliana. Snuff out can be used after Action 2 and before Action 3, or after Action 4.

6. Can spells be cast any time before action 3 and after action 4 or just immediately before and after those actions?

Spells can be played from your hand anytime after action 1 and before action 3 and again after action 4 and before action 5. You can play up to a total of 3 spells per turn.

7. For the red spell Circle of Flame, which figure is required to have the damage markers already, the figure that is taking the damage (probably an opponent's) or the figure that you control that is adjacent to the figure taking damage?

The figure that you control is the figure that is required to have the damage markers already.

8. Does Unsummon, the blue spell, remove damage counters? How do partial squad summons work?

Page 13, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under Returning a Unique Squad to Owner’s Reserve:
“Only figures on the battlefield are returned to an owner’s reserve. Any figures in the figure graveyard stay there. All attached enchantments are discarded to their owners’ graveyards. All damage markers are removed.”

Yes, when creatures are returned to a player’s reserve all damage markers on those creatures are removed. The same rules would apply for summoning a partial squad as for summoning a full squad. You would take any creatures on that army card and place them onto the battlefield on an empty space within 5 clear sight spaces away from the planeswalker that is summoning them. If there are any squad creatures on that army card that are already in the graveyard, they are still destroyed and cannot be summoned.

9. Does a creature under the effects of Mind Control act as a creature you control or your opponent controls for disengagements and moving through friendly creatures?

If you play Mind Control and target a squad creature your opponent controls, you control that creature while you are moving and attacking with the target creature.
You cannot use activated abilities. An example of an activated ability is Liliana’s Snuff Out. Currently, no squad creatures in Arena of the Planeswalkers have activated abilities.

A Mind Controlled creature would take a leaving-engagement attack from your opponent’s figure, not your own. However, the opponent who controls the figure who would make the leaving-engagement attack can choose to not take the attack.

(Note that when I asked number 8, I did not realize that it unsummons an entire squad rather than just the target squad member, so partial squad summons are not currently possible.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Do you mind if I repost this at Heroscapers.com ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems clear.
A lot of these sound as if you applied MTG logic to them you would come up with an answer. I like that, makes it a bit intuitive for magic players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Boone
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
quozl wrote:
Nice! Do you mind if I repost this at Heroscapers.com ?

Go ahead, I was going to repost it to the Planeswalker Arena Forum as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
The Mind Control rules clarification is one of the more interesting ones to me. If we accept this ruling, then is it safe to say that Misdirection also gains control of the particular aura as opposed to just merely moving it? Or just to be more lenient on gameplay, it gives control to whoever owns the army card that is the new enchanted target? This way, the Misdirection and Dark Harvest question is a lot easier to figure out with certainty by being consistent with Mind Control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Boone
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Phosphatide wrote:
The Mind Control rules clarification is one of the more interesting ones to me. If we accept this ruling, then is it safe to say that Misdirection also gains control of the particular aura as opposed to just merely moving it? Or just to be more lenient on gameplay, it gives control to whoever owns the army card that is the new enchanted target? This way, the Misdirection and Dark Harvest question is a lot easier to figure out with certainty by being consistent with Mind Control.

Hmm. Good observation. You wouldn't think that moving an enchantment would also give you control of it, but I'm not sure. Based on the provided answers so far, I will probably be playing with the rule that you don't control the aura but can move it to another army card of it's controller's to make them sacrifice another creature until a more clear ruling is given on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phosphatide wrote:

I do not see a relation or any way to assume that the ruling for mind control has anything to do with misdirection; Misdirection does not let you take control of an enchantment, it merely moves it:

"Move target face-up Enchant Squad or face-up Enchant Planeswalker to a new target"

Am I reading it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
morgothrond wrote:

I do not see a relation or any way to assume that the ruling for mind control has anything to do with misdirection; Misdirection does not let you take control of an enchantment, it merely moves it:

"Move target face-up Enchant Squad or face-up Enchant Planeswalker to a new target"

Am I reading it wrong?

Borrowing the pictures posted in the Planeswalker Arena forums:

Neither card ever explicitly says control of a figure or enchantment is given to the player casting the spell, yet the Hasbro answer to the question says Mind Control indeed gives control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bautista
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you Mind Control an opponent's creature that has a +1A and that creature attacks, such attack bonus applies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkham_warden wrote:
When you Mind Control an opponent's creature that has a +1A and that creature attacks, such attack bonus applies?

It depends on what is giving the +1 attack. If it is an enchantment on the squad, I think the bonus still applies. Glyphs are different. If the white army controls the +1 attack glyph and the blue army uses Mind Control on a figure, the +1 attack glyph no longer applies. However, if the blue army controls the +1 attack glyph and uses Mind Control on a figure, it would gain the +1 attack from the glyph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a reference to those who read this thread, I posted a second FAQ with answers from Hasbro here:
Hasbro Provided Rules FAQ (part 2)

If the original poster gets a chance to add this link to the top of the thread, that would be great so people can easily find all the FAQ information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.