Artifacts, Inc.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Upgrade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Estrick

Irvine
California
msg tools
Just remember... no matter what happens... I'll always love you. ALWAYS.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you upgrade a card to level 2, does the newly revealed power become available immediately for use? If yes, what about the adventurer card that adds another die? Do you roll another die or do you have to wait until your next turn. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules explicitly tell you when to roll your dice (at the beginning of your turn), so I don't think you'd be able to add Adventurer or Archaeologist dice until the start of your next turn when you roll your dice.

However, there's also nothing in the rules that says card abilities cannot be used on the turn they are purchased/upgraded, so I'd say that all other cards can be used the turn they are purchased/upgraded. (Technically, the Adventurer and Archaeologist cards are active as well, but their abilities just don't kick in until it's time to roll dice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that additional dice become available next turn. Everything else is usable immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Estrick

Irvine
California
msg tools
Just remember... no matter what happens... I'll always love you. ALWAYS.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we played it too. It didn't make sense to add another die until the next turn since the roll had already occurred. But it made sense to have the newly revealed actions be available. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
We played that additional dice become available next turn. Everything else is usable immediately.

This is how I have played it in my solo plays, as another data point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure I read when you upgrade a card the action spaces are available immediately.
Any new dice you got will start on your next turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
belial1134 wrote:
Pretty sure I read when you upgrade a card the action spaces are available immediately.
Any new dice you got will start on your next turn

I thought I had read this too, but now I can't find anywhere in the rule book nor a statement by Ryan Laukat, where it is stated expressly so. Still it seems sensible to allow additional action spaces that become available to be taken. Where as additional dice that become available wouldn't be rolled because that part of the turn has already been passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir501 wrote:
When you upgrade a card to level 2, does the newly revealed power become available immediately for use? If yes, what about the adventurer card that adds another die? Do you roll another die or do you have to wait until your next turn. Thank you.

Powers become immediately available, but not extra dice, because you only roll your total dice at the start of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I believe there is a rule where any die / cubes that are on cards carry over. So, if you upgrade the buy action, one of those actions is already spent. Therefore, you'd only be able to buy once more on that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
numbnick wrote:
I believe there is a rule where any die / cubes that are on cards carry over. So, if you upgrade the buy action, one of those actions is already spent. Therefore, you'd only be able to buy once more on that turn.

Could we get a confirmation on that? All dice on the upgraded cards stay on the card?
If so, which dice on the other side are covered if one side upgrades from using 1 die and the second side has 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnemonicuz wrote:
numbnick wrote:

Could we get a confirmation on that? All dice on the upgraded cards stay on the card?
If so, which dice on the other side are covered if one side upgrades from using 1 die and the second side has 2?

It's in the rulebook, under the Asset Action: Buy section -- second to the last paragraph on that page. As far as which space to place the dice, I'd say that you can choose, as long as the die meets the requirements of the chosen space (all cards with action spaces either have one of the same requirement on the LV2 side, or a lesser requirement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
Sir501 wrote:

Powers become immediately available, but not extra dice, because you only roll your total dice at the start of your turn.

Would it create an imbalance or other problems to allow immediate use of the new dice? I understand that "phase" has already passed, but it seems in keeping with the theme to allow use on the same turn. (Lots of other games do just that.) All else being equal, I prefer when a game gives you access to new actions right away--it can shorten game length and create fun combos. Not knowing the rule, we used new dice immediately, and had some really fun turns because of it.
Just wondering if it would introduce problems in Artifacts, Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.