Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I saw Dicetower folks gush over this game with preview copies and frankly I wasn’t impressed. My game group consists of my family of three boys, (10/15/17) and my wife. We aren’t into the Warhammer universe (although one of our first games we bought was Bloodbowl team manager) and the video of the play through just didn’t sell it to us.

I had absolutely no reason to buy it…

Yet, there it was sitting on the shelf of my German local game store when I went in to buy some paints for my Memoir ’44 figures and €90 was way out of my pocket cash for the day. But there it WAS! These folks never have new American games… Oh what the heck. I’m sure the 15yo will play it with me. His strategy developmentfor board games is starting to surpass mine and his ability to grasp mechanics and view “the whole board” is rather innate it seems.

So, (ehem) reluctantly I bought it and hid it in my trunk until my wife left and pulled it out to show spawn-2. We immediately gushed at the big box and miniatures and big box and also the miniatures. He gave me the task to read the rules and have it on the table for an after dinner go. I was happy to oblige this rather above himself request.

Honestly, rules are quite simple and easy enough for a new-ish gamer to understand and grock. After learning Star Wars: Imperial Assault I really like the way FFG handles rule books. Give me a quick learn and an alpha/cross references rules guide and I’ll know exactly where to go (even if there are a few discrepancies between the play book and the reference guide)!

Anyway, with the rules soundly under my fingers we set out to play our first game and were immediately immersed for the next 2.5 hours in this game! The theme had us, the strategies had us, the simplicity of the game had us and the big box and the minis had us too!

Our second game of two player came in at just under 2 hours and we made it through 5 of the 8 levels before 15yo picked up his second token and won. Today we added 10yo and don’t judge by the time, but we played 3 rounds in about 3 hours, but that was because we had to help spawn-3 a bit more… But, he actually got the rules enough to make some really good decisions. 17yo and I played the other day… But he isn’t much into strategy past Memoir.

Things we liked:
Combat System!! – never saw anything like this before
High Asymetric Strategy – although the factions are well balanced even if you don’t utilize their special abilities, if one of your players knows how to best use their team and you don’t, you will lose!
Theme and gameplay kept us riveted – I’m usually done and bored with Mice and Mystics by the second hour.

Things that were a bit hard for us:
15yo picked up way too fast his faction abilities and differences and was laying waste to us before we could figure out what to do.
10yo had a hard time thinking ahead when laying Order tokens (stacking Orders makes you think a few movements ahead. If you want assets before you build your units, you better first Order the build and THEN Order your Dominate.
Most of the smaller minis came out of the box well bent. A little hot water fixed ‘em right up, but as they are flags, the poles are quite thin and I’ve actually had to ‘hot water’ them a few times.

Replay is very high for Middle son and I. Hopefully I can get a few one on one games in with 10yo to keep him interested. Older son is on his own.

Gameplay is solid fun for us! NEVER thought we’d like this type of game.

Price is a bit high, but you get a lot of really cool bits!

OH!!!! And THANK goodness Fantasy Flight did NOT include those stupid mini-cards! I hate them!! Hate’em! But that’s just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
OH!!!! And THANK goodness Fantasy Flight did NOT include those stupid mini-cards! I hate them!! Hate’em! But that’s just me.

You may hate them, but they are hardly stupid as they are lifesavers when it comes to a game's footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it! Welcome to the Grim, Dark Future!

...also...I love "spawn-2" and "spawn-3"...it took me a second to get that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
CaptainMench wrote:

You may hate them, but they are hardly stupid as they are lifesavers when it comes to a game's footprint.

Yeah, but one of the main draws of Forbidden Stars to me that it really doesn't have a lot of things outside the mainboard, unlike Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as I feared-- another awesome game I don't have shelf space for. Thanks for the review; it supplements the general hype with a grass roots experience. Now what to get rid of.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww, crap. I had for so long decided I'm not getting this one.
Hey, I have a lot of Battlefleet Gothic ships waiting to be painted, and gamed with, haven't played WH40k since 6th Edition Rulebook came out (did buy that one, though) and have way too many games on my shelf as it is - heck, even Horus Heresy hasn't been taken out of the closet for two years now.

But, come tomorrow (pay day), I'll be heading for the FLGS and picking up this among a few other don't-reallyneed-it-but-want-it items: Legendary Villains add-on, all four Pandemic boxes (have the first two in Finnish, but want a matching set of all four), ....

Darn it...

My wallet hates you.

- Kez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wrote this review on my iPad two weeks ago and have been off on vacation. We did continue to play it a few more times before we went off to Turkey *location dropping* with the rules about building your own board.

That was HARD!! Took us a few games to realize that you'll never get it as balanced as the rule-book setup and yes, you'll find more often than not an easy victory-token only a few steps away - but... it did also shorten our games up quite a bit!!

I do think that this game would be hard to play with a new player after you've figured out most of the strategy yourself first. Hence my son kicking my butt. I'm not competitive or anything (hee!) but he REALLY should let me win once or twice.

You know how many games I tanked for him growing up?? PLUS wiping his bum all the time???? (I feel another topic for my next game review, I better stop now.)

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
What are those stupid mini-cards you are talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Calixtus wrote:

Many FF games use what can best be described as 'half-cards". They are a bit of a pain, being approximately half the size of an entire poker cards, but more economical. You'll also find them in Zombicide as well as many others. Always wondered why Plaid Hat didn't use them in Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Calixtus wrote:

Many FF games use what can best be described as 'half-cards". They are a bit of a pain, being approximately half the size of an entire poker cards, but more economical. You'll also find them in Zombicide as well as many others. Always wondered why Plaid Hat didn't use them in Summoner Wars.

Exactly. BUT - right after buying this game we bought Dungeonquest Revised edition from FFG. Was VERY glad to see those sized cards in that game, what with the stacks and stacks of decks they fit nicely along the side of the board. BUT - I really hate them as 'upgrade cards' for Imperial Assault and X-wing. 1) I can't read them let alone remember to read them and 2) there are way too many of them to go thru to pick the upgrades you want (my problem, not FFG's.)

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was surprised with this one too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Hugo
South Africa
Bloemfontein
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lol'ed at this bit:
Quote:
So, (ehem) reluctantly I bought it and hid it in my trunk until my wife left...

because it is exactly what I do whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I love this review as it echoes a lot of the unexpected joy I have had with this fine game. After burning out on 40k back in college I was not excited on the theme. Yet I also was unable to resist the box and was unexpectedly drawn in right away on the very first game. Even though overall strategic options are more limited than other games such as eclipse or TI3, something about the design of this game is just so much damn fun, I cannot get enough of it! I can't remember the last game I enjoyed this much.

Between X-wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, and now this, Fantasy Flight has really exceeded all my expectations Lately.

Anyone on the fence owes it to themselves to at least try the game out. It's not for everyone, but looking at the review graph there's about a 75% chance you will love the game to some degree.

Tom W
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:
Tom W wrote:
Even though overall strategic options are more limited than other games such as eclipse or TI3, something about the design of this game is just so much damn fun, I cannot get enough of it! I can't remember the last game I enjoyed this much.

Heresy! This game's strategic and tactical depth is high, especially compared with Eclipse. Exterminatus initiated.

Agreed. I do think there is a bit more to TI3 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.