Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I got my copy of The Harbinger yesterday.

Before I got it, I think most people (including me) would have thought The Firelands was a no-brainer to include for maximum terrain shifting chaos. But now that I've had a chance to look through the omens and have a lot more of the theme sink in, I'm thinking using The Firelands may be a mistake.

The Harbinger deck is supposed to be something that is feared, but honestly, drawing anything that drops more Fireland Tokens while you're low on life is already terrifying. I think The Harbinger deck works best when the disparity between a regular draw and a Harbiger draw is the greatest.

Agree/Disagree?

I'm currently only running The Reaper & The Sacred Pool expansions with my adventure deck. (I'm still using all Spells from all expansions and even Terrain cards from The Firelands.)

Also, they seems to work the best thematically with The Harbinger. There is a constant theme of death/angels/demons/alignment. Firelands/Frostmarch/Blood Moon probably have the strongest themes and I'm happy to leave them out. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the Harbinger has a great Biblical apocalypse theme, and the omen decks have nice individual doomsday themes of their own.

I like to play with all expansions, but I've removed all cards that reference Firelands tokens because they do make the game more deadly, especially when combined with the Harbinger. The extra terrain cards from Firelands are really nice to have when using the "Shattered World" Omen deck.

I think if you want to pick just a few small box expansion to use at a time, I agree that the Reaper and Sacred Pool are probably the best fit with the Harbinger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
That's because I currently cannot play any board games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
The Harbinger deck is supposed to be something that is feared, but honestly, drawing anything that drops more Fireland Tokens while you're low on life is already terrifying. I think The Harbinger deck works best when the disparity between a regular draw and a Harbiger draw is the greatest.

Agree/Disagree?

Surely drawing from the Harbinger deck is no good thing. There are really few cards that you could encounter lightly, and even the lesser Enemies have annoying side effects that make you curse them for many rounds (e.g. Skeleton and Vengeful Ghosts, the latter being really difficult to get rid of).

Firelands is supposed to increase the difficulty of the game, so playing with a trimmed Adventure deck, which is thin enough to make the Firelands material appear often, is already a good challenge. Harbinger + Firelands, and no corner Regions where you can flee to relieve the pressure, is surely making up for a difficult combination. In my experience finishing a game with the Harbinger expansion is really difficult, as me and my fellow players tend to cripple each other all the time when playing Talisman, and we don't cease hostilities just because the end of the world is nigh. devil I've noticed that with the Harbinger you're somehow obliged to do that, or else the game will have your characters' heads.

Ninja_Bob wrote:
TI'm currently only running The Reaper & The Sacred Pool expansions with my adventure deck. (I'm still using all Spells from all expansions and even Terrain cards from The Firelands.)

Also, they seems to work the best thematically with The Harbinger. There is a constant theme of death/angels/demons/alignment. Firelands/Frostmarch/Blood Moon probably have the strongest themes and I'm happy to leave them out. Thoughts?

For thematic reasons, your selection of small box expansions to use with the Harbinger is surely the best one. Perhaps Frostmarch could also work well as the occasional alternative to Reaper or Sacred Pool. It has some theme, but not as strong as Blood Moon or Firelands, and it doesn't increase the difficulty so much (in fact, it adds some very neutral cards that can reduce the risk when drawing Adventure cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daimyo A
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Difficult? Try playing Firelands + Harbringer + THE DRAGON (and throw in the Reaper and the Werewolf for good measure) and see what happens ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GangrenousKhan wrote:
Difficult? Try playing Firelands + Harbringer + THE DRAGON (and throw in the Reaper and the Werewolf for good measure) and see what happens ;-)

I see nothing but tumult, angst, and some good, old-fashion griping for a game set up as you specify...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.