GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,725 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Eclipse: Pulsar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nova Burst Discovery question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nova Burst Discovery "causes 1 damage to every opposing Ship in the battle". Is this damage persistent?

For example, I have four interceptors, all of which have advanced hull (and thus can absorb two additional hits). When the first interceptor is destroyed, does the next interceptor come into play with one damage on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the four interceptors are in the hex where the Nova burst happens then they all have 1 damage for the remainder of that combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
So each one comes into play with 1 damage, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by, "comes into play"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have one interceptor blue print. Do you clear all the damage when the current interceptor is destroyed? Or do you clear all but one damage when the current interceptor is destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damage is tracked on each plastic model (or cardboard for star bases) in the battle, not on the blueprint. So each interceptor will have its own pool of damage cubes assigned to it throughout the battle.

In the case of the nova burst, each interceptor model will have one damage cube placed next to it. In your example where they have advanced hull, any interceptors with three cubes are now destroyed and removed from the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
halbower wrote:
You only have one interceptor blue print. Do you clear all the damage when the current interceptor is destroyed? Or do you clear all but one damage when the current interceptor is destroyed?

Have you actually played the game like this as for the life of me I can't see how it would even be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played it (and evidently incorrectly) that you place the damage cube on the starburst symbols on the blue prints. That's how we tracked damage. So I was confused how to track the damage from Nova Burst Discovery. Since you track damage by placing the cubes by the plastic ships, there is no confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All interceptors in the combat are in play at the same time. The blueprint is just the design, it doesn't represent the 'active' interceptor. All 4 interceptors in this case would receive one damage cube next to their model on the hex. They also all attack simultaneously if not destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
We've always played it (and evidently incorrectly) that you place the damage cube on the starburst symbols on the blue prints. That's how we tracked damage. So I was confused how to track the damage from Nova Burst Discovery. Since you track damage by placing the cubes by the plastic ships, there is no confusion.

That's how i track damage too... if there's only one ship of that type in the hex. If there are multiple ships, each one gets its own set of damage cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
That's how i track damage too... if there's only one ship of that type in the hex. If there are multiple ships, each one gets its own set of damage cubes.

Yeah, I also usually just put cubes on the ship diagram, as, well, it is rare that more than one ship of a given type has damage at a time--I think the Nova Burst is really the only way to end up in that situation, as, well, there is virtually no reason at all to do damage to multiple ships of the same type. You might have some damage on two different ship types (as one has a shield and the other doesn't, say, so some gun hits can only hit ship type A and the others only can hit ship type B), but other than the Nova Burst, is there any situation where you would do damage to, say, two different dreadnaughts instead of putting all the damage on one of them? (This is mostly an academic question to see if there is something I'm not remembering…)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You fire some antimatter cannons and hit 2 times.
Later you will roll some ion cannons with good computers (no other ships between).

Your enemy has ships with 5HPs.
You decide to damage 2 ships, because you are almost sure your ion will destroy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
Later you will roll some ion cannons with good computers (no other ships between).

You decide to damage 2 ships, because you are almost sure your ion will destroy both.

Ah, yeah, ok. That could be a thing that happens, I suppose. Not particularly likely, but certainly not impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
White Trash
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:

Please help me. I played eclipse for the first time last week and I taught it to 2 friends that also had never played. And I was confused about damage. I think you may have cleared up my confusion but I’d like to understand better. Also I have a question about the pulsar expansion.

Pulsar expansion - Nova Burst Discovery Time: it says to place tile next to my player board and I can remove the tile from the game before the battle begins or at anytime during a battle when it is my turn in initiative order. This will cause 1 damage to every opposing Ship in the battle. The tile is Worth 1VP I’d still held at the end of the game.

So my three questions on this (just to be certain I understand)

1) Is it saying I can (And would only want to) activate this tile to cause one damage before everyone has passed and combat phase begins?

2) a) “This causes one damage to every opposing ship.” Is this for any battle on any hex? Or is this only when having battle in a pulsar hex?
b) If I don’t own that hex but enter one someone else does, but I have the discovery tile, can I use the tile to damage the ships of the owner of that hex?

3) the tile is Worth 1 victory point if held at the end of the game. So I guess if you don’t use it it is Worth 1 point. If you do use it it is a one time use and you forfeit the one point.

My combat question was if I have 2 medium ships that both have two guns that deal two damage each hit (orange dice - can’t remeber the names). And I am fighting 4 interceptors, I get to roll two dice. If I get two 6’s and deal four damage and all the intercepteds have 1 haul increasing their damage capacity. I can have one die destroy damage 2 intercepted with one hit each, and the other ship’s die can damage the remaining two interceptors with one damage each? That way my large ship with the red dice gun might destroy the ships with a single hit?

Thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) "before the battle" - one particular battle, not the combat phase. You decide before every hex you fight in.
2) a) Only one battle, but any hex.
b) Irrelevant
3) Correct

You can't split damage from one die to many ships.
Moreover in your example you need 2 damages to destroy any interceptor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.