Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: playing sideways for unused points just to discard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Bender
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
suppose I have several (non-wound) cards I don't want.
Can I play them sideways for move points or influence that I never use, just to get them out of may hand?

We played it this way last week, but weren't able to locate the rules about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. There should be a general rule that lets you discard any cards at the end of your turn before you draw back up to your hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Pg 9 - Drawing New Cards
A. Before drawing, you may discard any number of non-wound cards from your hand, if you wish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Bender
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Faranim wrote:
yes. There should be a general rule that lets you discard any cards at the end of your turn before you draw back up to your hand limit.

found it. Page 9: "End of Turn" Section 7.Drawing new cards:

Quote:
a. Before drawing, you may discard any number of non-
Wound cards from your hand, if you wish.
If you did not play or discard any cards during your turn,
you must discard at least one card now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear:

There are two sets of rules, the original ones and the ones introduced in LL. Even if you don't have the expansion, you can use the later ones (and it's the recommended approach).

With the original set of rules, you can only generate move points during the movement phase, and influence points when allowed (either you're interacting, or diplomacy or learning is on the table). So, regarding the original question, you couldn't play these cards sideways if your movement phase has ended and you're not interacting/learning/etc. (you can discard them at the end of turn, though).

With the lost legion rules, you can generate move and influence points at any time, so you can play these cards sideways at any point.

I don't know which set of rules you're using, and the exact answer of your question depends on that. (in this case it doesn't matter since you can discard them at the end of turn; but in similar cases it makes a difference; for instance, if you have a wound and power of pain).

Edit: There are other differences between the two rulebooks; use one or the other one, but don't mix them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, you can discard any cards you don't want at the end of your turn, which is better than playing them sideways for no benefit, as you get to wait for more information before deciding.

If you have Power of Pain, then you can play a Wound sideways for Move 2 or Influence 2, even if you don't use it. That is something you couldn't replicate at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you have Power of Pain, then you can play a Wound sideways for Move 2 or Influence 2, even if you don't use it. That is something you couldn't replicate at the end of the turn.
As I said, that's true if you're using LL rules, but it isn't always possible with the base game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.